Lets settle this OS debate.... Win 98 or XP

Guest Joe

Which operating system do you have on your PC?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system do you have on your PC?

• Win XP
    • Win 98
    • Other OS

lol... i am running a p200 32mbram 2mb gfx card... and a !!!2gig!!! hdd... running win98, and gtavc runs like a dream... i play in 1600x1024 and it owns :P opps... typo... i play in 16x10 :D hmmm... i wounder if gtavc would run in that res... i might go get my sisters pc, and have some fun :D muhahaha... tho xp is crap... to much fancy userinterface crap... dranes half or ur ram... ms tryed 2 do what mac do, only mac do it well... i might stick win2k backon its the best os ms have made so far...

lol... i am running a p200 32mbram 2mb gfx card... and a !!!2gig!!! hdd... running win98, and gtavc runs like a dream... i play in 1600x1024 and it owns :P opps... typo... i play in 16x10 :D hmmm... i wounder if gtavc would run in that res... i might go get my sisters pc, and have some fun :D muhahaha... tho xp is crap... to much fancy userinterface crap... dranes half or ur ram... ms tryed 2 do what mac do, only mac do it well... i might stick win2k backon its the best os ms have made so far...

Yes well, you should spend less time flappin' your gums on a fourm and more time looking for a better pc! :twisted:

well the box that im usinf now is running XP, but i have another 2 boxes, one running Linux Red Hat v8, and a mac for photo usage...

well, actually my anterior OS was Win 2000 i only change to XP becouse of the themes, actually i XP have manys features as 2000, and there are a lot of thing i liked to see in XP and vise versa ;)

anyway i chosed win XP ;)

People still use 98???

Jeesh.

Look at it this way, windows 98. Now, its 2003, 2003 - 1998 = ...... 5! You're using a 5 year old os. Hell, you might as well go buy a black and white tv and spend all day watching re-runs of Starsky and Hutch.

I know retro is in this season, but don't you think thats taking it too far?

Windows 98 remains one of the most unstable, slow, and easily exploited os ever. If you really think things haven't got better in 5 years then you must be reading this in a 133mhz 32mb ram 2mb graphics card with a 1gig hard drive.

Using windows 98 is a insult to whatever processing power you have.

So xp looks like telly tubby land when you install it. It takes 2 mins to turn everything off and make it look just like 98.

Thats enough for now, I'm off to play on my c64, its about as up to date as win98.

LOL well said :lol::lol:

XP is by far the most stable OS Microsoft has done till now, 2000 is good aswell.

:roll: @ vegetto34

now come on if your a gamer you know its not hard to partition your hard drive. first install win 98 then win 2000 and then xp on seperate partitions. it makes for a very nice pc. xp just dosent have the raw performance as win 98 in my oppinion. any ways im glad to have xp to play this online since it didnt work win win 98. i just love old school. ill be playing counter strike till i die. and this mod if it keeps getting better as it should. you would think rockstar would be anouncing that there making an online gta of their own for sale as it would be a huge hit instantly. :P:shock::D

Game Machine:

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

768MB DDR 2700

GF4 Ti 4600

100GB HD = 10 GB Windows XP Pro; 87 GB Storage

20GB HD = Debian Linux

'Test' Machine:

Pentium 4 2.4GHz

256MB DDR 2100

GeForce2 MX 400 64MB

80GB HD = 80GB Windows XP Pro

Laptop:

Pentium 4 2.4 GHz

512MB DDR 2100

GeForce GO 64MB

40GB HD = 40GB Windows XP Pro

Development Machine:

AMD XP 2100+

1GB DDR 2100

Radeon 9700

40GB HD = 10GB Windows XP Pro; 10GB Red Hat Linux 9; 18GB Storage

General Web/Game/File Server

AMD K7 700mhz

1GB PC 133

GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB

250GB HD = 10GB Windows 2000 Advanced Server; 20GB Web space; 100 GB Storage; 110GB Storage

40GB HD = Red Hat Linux 9

In short, I'm all Windows. I'm really trying my best to transition into Linux though. And since I don't want to bother with WineX and Vice City + MTA, I'll stick to XP as my OS of choice for the moment.

XP is just a nice looking, 2000 for people who cant handle not being told how to do things.

But I moved to XP because 2000 had a spazz at my old TNT2 (now thankfully, my new job has allowed that to be binned hehe)

2000 is the best os made by microsoft... if you know the basics of computers... most of the shit an advanced user would use is hiden from xp and u would have to locate most of it yourself. 2k is also more reliable... though it is newer doesnt mean its better.

I'm not one to argue about the best Microsoft OS, as you really end up picking the lesser of evils, but I can safely say that short of hardware failure, I've never had stability issues with XP. I have crashed Explorer many many times, but I've never had to reboot to recover. As far as 'hiding' things go, I think Microsoft calls it "user friendly". I am unaware of anything that you can do in 2000 that can't be done in XP. I'd seriously like to know if you do, so please don't be a flamer.

• 5 weeks later...