Structure of a Resource || Hints and Helps

Robert333

I mostly no newbie today in scripting LUA, but in last time I always fail at the structure and management of my script/resource. In the last weeks I wrote and I will do in future a gamemode.

But now the script is long and unclearly. I tried to clean the code with the "--" Tag and wrote above all functions a header, but it was just unclearly too. Then I have split my "script_server.lua" and "script_client.lua" in many different LUA-Files, but that isn't a solution too. Maybe someone can help and write down his structure of resources.

Another problem is in the script. For example should I use "setElementData" or a "table" to set data that isn't given in a MTA-Function. Or should I use one "function" which is called by one "EventHandler" and in the "function" I call another "functions" or should I use for each "function" an "EventHandler"?

Hopefully you can help me because I wrote my script just more than ten times new. It's my most difficult problem in scripting.

PS: I'm German, and not good in English ;-).

I mostly no newbie today in scripting LUA, but in last time I always fail at the structure and management of my script/resource. In the last weeks I wrote and I will do in future a gamemode.

But now the script is long and unclearly. I tried to clean the code with the "--" Tag and wrote above all functions a header, but it was just unclearly too. Then I have split my "script_server.lua" and "script_client.lua" in many different LUA-Files, but that isn't a solution too. Maybe someone can help and write down his structure of resources.

Another problem is in the script. For example should I use "setElementData" or a "table" to set data that isn't given in a MTA-Function. Or should I use one "function" which is called by one "EventHandler" and in the "function" I call another "functions" or should I use for each "function" an "EventHandler"?

Hopefully you can help me because I wrote my script just more than ten times new. It's my most difficult problem in scripting.

PS: I'm German, and not good in English ;-).

i think its impossible to explain all those things in just one single post..

you have two ways:

first get the MTA Script Editor - it will help you a lot :)

then:

- download some resources (starting from really simple! you must know the basics) and read & analize them

- or getting through tutorials.

Wiki is very helpful too.

Good luck

i think its impossible to explain all those things in just one single post..

you have two ways:

first get the MTA Script Editor - it will help you a lot :)

then:

- download some resources (starting from really simple! you must know the basics) and read & analize them

- or getting through tutorials.

Wiki is very helpful too.

Good luck

I didn't want to know how I script, maybe I asked a little bit complicated.

I want help with the structure. Perhaps a example helps:

function ***()
blabla()
if blabla then
getblabla(bla,bla)
end
end

or

-- Function: *** --
function ***( )
   blabla( ) -- do blabla

if blabla then -- do something when blabla true

getblabla ( bla, bla ) -- get blabla from blabla

end -- end if

end -- end function

or

function ***()

blabla()

if blabla then getblabla(bla,bla) end

end

and the structure of a resource:

meta.xml

client/client.lua

server/server.lua

or

meta.xml

client/gui/menu/menu.lua

.../script/world/world.lua

.../.../player/player.lua

server/script/vehicle/vehicle.lua

Maybe now it's clear. I want to know some hints which make the script better looking and easier to wrote long scripts.

I have a script and it works fine but I still script a new script, because I don't like how my script look.

But thanks for answer varez, robhol

------------

There are no "right" answers to this question - how you organize your resources is up to you as long as it makes sense and is understandable.

[...]

Yeah, but you have for example a structure how your resource/script is looking, but I understand your point, maybe I find a solution.

Thanks for reply

I didn't want to know how I script, maybe I asked a little bit complicated.

I want help with the structure. Perhaps a example helps:

function ***()
blabla()
if blabla then
getblabla(bla,bla)
end
end

or

-- Function: *** --
function ***( )
   blabla( ) -- do blabla

if blabla then -- do something when blabla true

getblabla ( bla, bla ) -- get blabla from blabla

end -- end if

end -- end function

or

function ***()

blabla()

if blabla then getblabla(bla,bla) end

end

and the structure of a resource:

meta.xml

client/client.lua

server/server.lua

or

meta.xml

client/gui/menu/menu.lua

.../script/world/world.lua

.../.../player/player.lua

server/script/vehicle/vehicle.lua

Maybe now it's clear. I want to know some hints which make the script better looking and easier to wrote long scripts.

I have a script and it works fine but I still script a new script, because I don't like how my script look.

But thanks for answer varez, robhol

------------

There are no "right" answers to this question - how you organize your resources is up to you as long as it makes sense and is understandable.

[...]

Yeah, but you have for example a structure how your resource/script is looking, but I understand your point, maybe I find a solution.

Thanks for reply

As I said, that's up to you. If you look at large resources with a lot of files (that aren't necessarily script files), like admin, killmessages or mabako-services, the files are often bunched in folders based on server/client, what they are (script/data) or what they do. Ultimately, what's probably best for you is what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I just name my script files something logical and have most of them on the "root" level of my resource, I don't bother with folder, I consider them something of a time waste and most of my script aren't really extensive enough for folders to be useful.

As I said, that's up to you. If you look at large resources with a lot of files (that aren't necessarily script files), like admin, killmessages or mabako-services, the files are often bunched in folders based on server/client, what they are (script/data) or what they do. Ultimately, what's probably best for you is what you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I just name my script files something logical and have most of them on the "root" level of my resource, I don't bother with folder, I consider them something of a time waste and most of my script aren't really extensive enough for folders to be useful.

One function should do only one specific thing. So, probably the more functions (and shorter) you have the better. Except, if there's a function that's called only by one function and you know there won't be any more places it'll be called, then it's usually better to put inside the parent function.

One function should do only one specific thing. So, probably the more functions (and shorter) you have the better. Except, if there's a function that's called only by one function and you know there won't be any more places it'll be called, then it's usually better to put inside the parent function.