Linux Server Resource Useage?

nickds

It's going to depend massively on what resources are run, I don't think anyone has collected any stats. Other server owners may have some idea though, but keep in mind that some resources can add a substantial amount of extra processing.

I'd suggest trying to run a test server and see how that goes, if you're intending to rent servers, start with one and watch it carefully. We'd be interested to hear your results.

It's going to depend massively on what resources are run, I don't think anyone has collected any stats. Other server owners may have some idea though, but keep in mind that some resources can add a substantial amount of extra processing.

I'd suggest trying to run a test server and see how that goes, if you're intending to rent servers, start with one and watch it carefully. We'd be interested to hear your results.

Well I have just finished building a dedicated 1U server with a friend as a business venture, once the rails arrive its being shipped off to MK for colocation. The plan was for us to be Half-Life 1 and 2, server providers, but it is a very swamped market. I have played SA-MP and MTA for quite some time, and thought as I am running debian on this box I would have a go at running a few MTA servers. We currently have one running, but its running from our home internet connection (512kb/s upstream) so outside of the LAN theres not much data transfer, resulting in lag. But the CPU and RAM useage have been very posative so far, giving us an indication that numerous 100 player servers could be run. The best way to test would be once we have the server in the datacenter, try and get as many clients to join one server, and calculate a useage percantage based on slots in the server, then see how many servers we could run that way.

Would there be must interest in a MTA server provider do you think, or a mirror service?

Nick

Well I have just finished building a dedicated 1U server with a friend as a business venture, once the rails arrive its being shipped off to MK for colocation. The plan was for us to be Half-Life 1 and 2, server providers, but it is a very swamped market. I have played SA-MP and MTA for quite some time, and thought as I am running debian on this box I would have a go at running a few MTA servers. We currently have one running, but its running from our home internet connection (512kb/s upstream) so outside of the LAN theres not much data transfer, resulting in lag. But the CPU and RAM useage have been very posative so far, giving us an indication that numerous 100 player servers could be run. The best way to test would be once we have the server in the datacenter, try and get as many clients to join one server, and calculate a useage percantage based on slots in the server, then see how many servers we could run that way.

Would there be must interest in a MTA server provider do you think, or a mirror service?

Nick