Calling Server/Client Functions in OOP

adamix

Objective: To realize the object on the server with which you can call functions of the client.

Example:

client = Client.new (clientElem);
client.setGarageOpen (1, true);

and the object on the client, with which you can call the server functions.

Example:

server.createPed (1, 1024, 1024, 1024);

Waiting for your ideas and examples. Sorry for my english.

It's an intentional part of mta's design that the client can't do too much that will affect other players. Directly exposing server side functions to clients opens things up for cheaters even more. Remember it's not practical really to have server functions being called from the client and returning values due to the latency.

I'm not sure that making client and server objects is the most useful way an OO interface for MTA could be made.

If you wanted to make that kind of interface, I believe it'd be fairly easy with metatables.

It would be easy with metatables but there are main 2 situations where you don't want to use OOP.

1. Calling timers fails, if calling a method from an instance of a class.

local a = Class:new();
setTimer( a:method, 100, 1 ); -- this doesn't work
setTimer( Class.method, 100, 1, a ); -- AFAIR, this fails too

2. You can't really export classes from resource and that makes no use of OOP in Lua for MTA. MTA has new calling exported functions system (accessing exported functions from "exports" table).

exports.myresource:Class:new(); -- Class is a table(class) not exported function and that's why it fails

It would be nice. Even though, I use OOP as often as I can since this is good to get used to.