What is better? Pawn or lua?

redigaffi

Question

19 answers to this question

MTA is almost definitely better if you look at the features: MTA has stuff like GUI (beyond the pathetic buttons SA-MP has, I mean,) DirectX drawing, peds that don't take player slots (HEH!), TONS more ways to interact with players, vehicles, objects and the game world, and other neat features that SA-MP scripters can only dream about.

As for the languages themselves, Pawn will look more familiar to people who have been coding C++, but compared to LUA, it's very limited in regards to strings, arrays and the like. Lua is a lot more dynamic and has many interesting features including easier and better control of strings and arrays. (You don't have to allocate an exact size to contain them, for example.)

Take it from a former SA-MP player/scripter: Go for MTA.

i like it :D, i have hear lua & mta are more difficulter, and samp is more populare i think

MTA has a lot more functions, but nobody's saying you have to learn them by heart. As I said, Pawn closely resembles C++ (and therefore similar languages, which there are tons of) and Lua doesn't. Apart from that, it's not really more difficult to learn.

SA-MP is, obviously, more popular, but that's irrelevant to the Pawn VS. Lua discussion, and is covered adequately in another thread.

• MTA Team

When it comes down to the language itself, LUA is more used than PAWN. I've even seen commercial games using LUA scripting. When it comes down to scripting between MTA:SA and SA-MP a quick look at both mods wikis will show that MTA has a lot more functions and is most likely to be the mod with the more powerfull scripting capabilities.

Lua is certainly a more widely-accepted language and has been used in many games. Learning Lua is certainly more likely to be useful to you long-term than PAWN, and might even get you a job. It's also much more dynamic - which tends to make it faster and more fun to use, the downside being that you're more likely to make silly mistakes that the compiler can't catch (as with any dynamic language).

The reason there are not many roleplay servers is because MTA hasn't had a large roleplay release like SA-MP's "The Godfather Roleplay" script (and if I remember correctly, there was another one before that, too) that anyone can download, modify, and make a server from. Anyone spending the time and effort in making a good roleplay server is keeping the code to themselves. (And quite right, too, IMO)

As for difficulty, in their vanilla forms, Lua is FAR easier than PAWN. Having said that, there are lots of nuances involved on coding for MTA (server vs client, element tree, event handlers and their attachments and hidden variables, conflicting resources) that take a lot of research and experience to fully understand. They're logical in their behaviour though, and offer incredible power to your code, so stick at it, experiment, and you'll understand the quirks in no time. :D

Learning LUA was a pain to me since the syntax was bugging the shit out of me, but eventually, the syntax wasn't that different, it just hurt in my head because of the styling. LUA is easier for beginners, PAWN is easier for people that have already coded in C-like languages.

I don't think anyone should find lua difficult after working with it a bit.

(Editeth: Motherfucker, I just bumped a 5 day old topic, didn't I? :/)