MTA and SAMP

Malice

Question

• Answers 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Actually, it's not always about change. Some users just can't run one or the other. I have a friend that can only play MTA:SA because SA:MP won't work correctly for them. For me, I can only play SA:MP because MTA:SA is a freaking memory leaking hog on my computer and crashes half way into a server download. I'd love to play both, but it's just not that easy...

But, I can say the opposite as well. I hate VC:MP, whereas I love GTA3:MTA/MTA:VC. Ironic, huh?

It doesn't take long at IRC for someone to start dissing SA-MP, I only mentioned the word SA-MP and a few MTA players start with the hating. To be honest, if players didn't create such a divide between the two mods, the GTA MP community would be united.

Unfortunately, MTA believes because it can do more, it should be No.1 for the players, that's rubbish. GTAIV can do more, but I don't play GTAIV, I player GTA San Andreas.

I agree with the name, if I type MTA in the address bar, I get a transportation authority website, same as the search engine, MTA Deathmatch is there, but it isn't top.

Also, MTA complicates things. I tried to get a few of my friends playing a emulated version of my racemode, but for them SA-MP was a lot easier to adapt to.

At the end of the day, MTA coding and capabilities are fantastic, the possibilities are endless..... this only appeals to coders.

SA-MP on the other hand is easy to set up, easy to play. That's why SA-MP is more popular.

A game is for the players, not the coders.

It doesn't take long at IRC for someone to start dissing SA-MP, I only mentioned the word SA-MP and a few MTA players start with the hating. To be honest, if players didn't create such a divide between the two mods, the GTA MP community would be united.

Unfortunately, MTA believes because it can do more, it should be No.1 for the players, that's rubbish. GTAIV can do more, but I don't play GTAIV, I player GTA San Andreas.

I agree with the name, if I type MTA in the address bar, I get a transportation authority website, same as the search engine, MTA Deathmatch is there, but it isn't top.

Also, MTA complicates things. I tried to get a few of my friends playing a emulated version of my racemode, but for them SA-MP was a lot easier to adapt to.

At the end of the day, MTA coding and capabilities are fantastic, the possibilities are endless..... this only appeals to coders.

SA-MP on the other hand is easy to set up, easy to play. That's why SA-MP is more popular.

A game is for the players, not the coders.

MTA isn't that hard to install or run - you download the installer (same way you would SA-MP's), run it (same way you would SA-MP's), select a server to connect to, (same way you would SA-MP's, EXCEPT that the server list takes 5 seconds to load instead of 5 minutes) click, and then you can play...

If you think MTA is harder to play, I'd like to know how you work that out, because I've played both quite a lot and can't see how. If anything, SA-MP has a more difficult gameplay due to the lack of key binds and the fact that the only hint of GUI that's there is a half-assed ripoff of MTA's.. :roll:

MTA didn't invent GUI. It's how most GUI is displayed, then you use the mouse to select an option. You only think it's a rip off because MTA used it first. It's not a contest.

Why does it only take 5 seconds to load? :mrgreen:

About the key binds, again it's cool as a coder, but the fact is it's not GTA San Andreas, people wouldn't play MTA or SA-MP if they didn't like GTA San Andreas, I can't say for sure but most players would play GTASA, then discover the MP version. That would mean they're use to the key configuration and are ready to play, but once again MTA changes that.

I'm not a hater, I like MTA, but I like SA-MP more.

It's just a shame that you think everyone should quit SA-MP and start playing MTA, just because with MTA and LUA, the coding potential is superior.

The fact is, SA-MP has proved to the players how good the mod is, MTA is still trying to persuade us to change. Why change when they're having enough fun playing SA-MP?

That's why you find it easy to gain support from coders, but struggle with the players.

Actually, key binds benefit players. It's pretty simple: a key bind is ONE key press, a command is at the very least 3 or 4, but usually much more. Similarly it's a lot easier to remember one key for one purpose than a long command for the same purpose.

I didn't claim that MTA invented GUI, I'm just saying they were much earlier and that SA-MP's is extremely limited in comparison and also looks conspicuously similar to it.

MTA doesn't change key binds in my experience, and if they do, changing them back once again seems like a pretty small concession.

As for the server list loading times, I don't sit here with a stopwatch every time, so if you want exact numbers, go get them yourself. My point is, MTA's is quick, SA-MP's is not.

And if you honestly think SA-MP is better than MTA I'd like to know what criteria you use. Apart from the players, I can't see any. Can you?

You haven't answered my previous question either: if MTA is "harder" from a player's perspective: how?

(And if you don't want to answer my questions, can't come up with an answer or don't wanna try: say so and don't bother replying.)

The fact is, SA-MP has proved to the players how good the mod

:lol: i though you were serious until i read that

oh and yes, pressing a key is definitely harder than remembering and typing in a command name, computers in general made our lives really really hard. you can barely survive a week with them near you.

I didn't answer your question because I was not the one to have trouble playing MTA, unlike you I don't think I have the answers to everything.

Also, I should of said this was the days of the Nightly Builds.

What's better? Again, you fail. If it was about being better, we'd all have 42" Inch TV's.

If it was about being better, we'd all support Manchester United.

If it was about being better, we'd all being using Linux Servers.

The fact is, it's about fun, it's about giving the players what they want. Entertainment.

As I've said, MTA coding is excellent. But what do people who play games have to do with that? Get a decent number of servers that don't fail for players and then they would be happy. They couldn't care less about all of the coding functions.

Why does the MTA list only take 5 seconds to load?

FACT: Just checked both lists, I suppose MTA gets 2 servers by the time SA-MP gets one server. Wow, time saved.

SA-MP server list I'm sure is a hole lot bigger than the MTA server list. Plus once you've found a good few servers on SA-MP, you don't need to search for servers. You've found what you want.

Racing servers, I spent most of my time spectating other players.. quit.

If you don't think you can answer, stop pretending to. :wink:

When you make claims, it's perfectly sensible for people to want you to defend and provide sensible arguments for them. If you can't, then don't make them in the first place.

I suggest you either stop evading and answer my questions or at least stop pretending I've said things I haven't... Because I know what I've said: I was the one who said it.

That would mean they're use to the key configuration and are ready to play, but once again MTA changes that.

You have a valid point there though this may just be a bug i wanted to report ages ago. For me MTA somehow doesn't catch your GTA keys correctly on the first install which is basically no problem as using the cmd "/copygtacontrols" fixes that but then again most players don't know about it and probably just quit frustrated before even discovering the powerful settings->binds menu :(

The keybind system itself is just meant as an addition to gta that you shouldn't even notice before joining a server that uses binds.

And come on you got to agree that for example pressing F1 for a help tab, or I for an inventory window really is useful ;)

The main problem of MTA comparing to SAMP is the lack of gamemodes diversity. Actually you can find 2 or 3 very interesting servers with original scripts like the Trials server or the FPS mod server but too bad: most of the time, there are no players to play on it :/

I'm not dodging your questions robhol, the only things I didn't answer were my friends who struggled to play, how can I answer their problems. :?

That would mean they're use to the key configuration and are ready to play, but once again MTA changes that.
And come on you got to agree that for example pressing F1 for a help tab, or I for an inventory window really is useful ;)

It's awesome! I never have been a fan of typing commands. Although pressing the SUBMISSION key and selecting from a menu isn't such a bad method either, it works.

I'm not disputing the fact MTA has the potential to deliver awesome features to GTA:SA Multiplayer, _arc always gives me the wow factor when showing me video's. It's just a shame I haven't experienced anything like that since I started playing MTA, 2 weeks ago.

Racing servers, I spent most of my time spectating other players.. quit.

practice your racing skills then :/

Join server, spectate. Die, spectate. Win race, spectate. I did quite well to be honest, although TIM[sLO] was owning me.

Just a shame that you think beginners should spend their time spectating people.

The one thing that's upset me the most is the arrogance of a few IRC users, the ones who said and agreed with this comment:

"MTA's default race mode is better than anything SA-MP can do".

That's rubbish. I should know.

However, whether or not this power is used to even half of its potential is questionable.
+1
MTA's default race mode is better than anything SA-MP can do

Then again this was more ment from a technical point of view.

A *nice and instantly responding* gui driven health/speed bar and ranking board, dynamic map loading which allows the use of usercreated maps that have a pretty wide variety of adaptable settings, more than one marker at a time ( :P), custom race addons such as the race_toptimes or race_traffic_sensor etc. just to name a few advantages.

Most of that simply isn't possible (with that quality) in samp so thats why i still think the qoute above is not really wrong...

And well your point of having to spectate others all the time is not really valid as this depends on the maps the server you've joined is running. You can define the respawn type (timerespawn, waverespawm, none) differently per map so it has nothing to do with the gamemode itself ;)

Awesome MrHankey, but you might want to take a closer look at the example of race_toptimes. :wink:

The traffic highlighters are cool.

Hardly any racing games though, have vehicle health, it's pointless as it's noticeable how damaged your car is by looking at the vehicle.

I don't get though, the need to show multiple markers :S That might be because I'm use to managing with one, after all it's a race, not a treasure hunt. (also, with a twist, SA-MP can display 2 at the same time :P ).

Nice and civil debating :D

I am baffled by this. Could someone please explain? How does SAMP have more players than MTA? Maybe my server browser is broken or something. MTA is clearly the better mod. Thanks in advance.

1. most of the samp players are little mta hating fanboys ..this is caused by the admins of the samp forums, since they talk mta down whenever it is possible

2. samp is more simple .. thats what most people like so much about it -> you open the client within a second and can start playing

3.this may sound silly i know .. but whenever i asked people what they dont like about mta they mostly replyed with "ugly chatbox" .. although you can customize it yourself.

if the dev team would change the default chatbox to the "transparent" preset a lot more people would consider trying out mta .. belive it or not.

4. fuckin rp server owners (sorry) are too afraid of losing players when changing to mta

5. WE HAVE NO FREAKIN SIGNATURES IN THIS FORUM :lol: .. no seriously a community/board without signatures is boring as hell.. thats also reason why there aren't much guys around here.

6. too much freeroam server / pointless boring servers without objectives.

mta need more servers which are showing what you can do with mta ..and not what you can not do with it.

I am baffled by this. Could someone please explain? How does SAMP have more players than MTA? Maybe my server browser is broken or something. MTA is clearly the better mod. Thanks in advance.

1. most of the samp players are little mta hating fanboys ..this is caused by the admins of the samp forums, since they talk mta down whenever it is possible

2. samp is more simple .. thats what most people like so much about it -> you open the client within a second and can start playing

3.this may sound silly i know .. but whenever i asked people what they dont like about mta they mostly replyed with "ugly chatbox" .. although you can customize it yourself.

if the dev team would change the default chatbox to the "transparent" preset a lot more people would consider trying out mta .. belive it or not.

4. :o rp server owners (sorry) are too afraid of losing players when changing to mta

5. WE HAVE NO FREAKIN SIGNATURES IN THIS FORUM :lol: .. no seriously a community/board without signatures is boring as hell.. thats also reason why there aren't much guys around here.

mta need more servers which are showing what you can do with mta ..and not what you can not do with it.

I would say, only the last one seems to be valid.

I'd say 1,4, and 6 are the valid ones.

As for 3, I'm on the opposite side of the argument. SA-MP's chat system is crude, ugly and basic in my opinion. MTA's is cleaner, better presented, and the text scrolling is a nice touch that shows care in the programming involved. Not to mention customization as you well know.

As for 5, well:

http://www.facepunch.com

Only 100,000+ registered members, 20,000+ active. For one example.

Forum signatures have and continue to be a silly idea and an unnecessary waste of space.

4. :o rp server owners (sorry) are too afraid of losing players when changing to mta

all of them are in the way true. the interface is usualy what attracts players, majority of them.

There are solid TDM servers in MTA too, if you guys haven't noticed. (referring to the people who claim that there are only freeroam, RP servers)

There are, but there are kind of.. too many half-assed freeroam and RP servers. What we need is more servers with original scripts...