[REQ]Free scripter needed for server

joujou333

That's not very nice, fellas...

Are you going to sit there and tell me there's not one decent scriptor in the MTA community that is willing to help build a server out of the kindness of his/her own heart? Servers are paying by the month for pro hosting just to defeat the lag issues inherent in MTA already, and as game servers they're not MAKING any money. Not to mention MTA being an open-source and cost-free mod of a single player game that hopefully everyone bought in the first place, how are server owners and/or administrators supposed to afford hiring greedy scriptors who prey on the desperation of regular players who just want to see something cool in a game they play in their offtime?

All any MTA scriptor who worked on the mod itself ever got was thanks, and I am one of those who thanks every one of them for all the time, effort, and heart they put into this incredible piece of art. But I fail to see where resource creators get off selling their skills for profit in a game that has no profit to begin with, aside from donations that barely cover a server's pro hosting costs. But I digress... this is nothing more than the rantings of a comparatively old man who has poured countless hours into learning Lua himself only to become a novice at best, and then put those skills to use by modding or tweaking every last resource in the server he admins. I love the game for the sake of loving the game, not because I see dollar signs.

If you're objective in the least, please... take the time to really understand where I'm coming from on this, because it seems to me that when topics like this get met with such harsh responses, MTA communities and the heart that binds them dies a little more. Thanks.

-Bravo

Well, unfortunately, the amount of spare scripters just IS low. Most of these either have their own server (I guess because it's so easy) or prefer to just create community resources and not be bound to a (single) server.

The best chance to get more scripters is build up a good base first. This would show scripters they're not dealing with something shitty and are basically just wasting their time. Unfortunately, this means you'd have to get your feet in the mud yourself. Or, ideally, with a group of friends. Otherwise, it's just highly unlikely anyone would do it for free. And since really a LOT of these topics have gone by (at least over 25), the harsh response is not really a big surprise either. It just happens to get on your nerves over time.

Now there's something I can agree with and understand. You're absolutely right; with over 140 servers, the number of scriptors able to handle the job doesn't measure up. And the fact that you all have wiki'd the necessary tools to learn the trade is a huge help in itself. I don't speak for the server owners who are just too lazy to learn, I just speak for me, my community, and the MTA frequenters who just can't understand the logic flow or the language itself. I knew coming in that I'd be doing most of my own work, and with the mod having been built I've no problem with that.

And truth be told, I have personally never run into problems with any scriptor in the MTA community, mostly because I contribute as much as I ask for, and I don't ask anyone to do it FOR me. While I may never agree with racketeering of script service, I also will never agree with endusers who demand that things be done for them in a modification that they didn't pay for. To all of you that do what you do best without asking for money, you don't deserve random blowhards coming out of the woodwork and ordering you to change your script to suit them; after all, you're not customer service. So thanks to you, and f*** off to the blowhards.

topics like this tend to give a very broad idea of what they actually want and most people wont like committing to a potentially huge project which they may very well not be able to honor. Nobody likes to be constrained to the timetable of internet strangers with something they do in their spare time, so offering their help whenever and wherever they reasonably can without a commitment is perfect for most people. If people come with more specific or refined problems/ideas i think others will be much more receptive, though finding someone else who has the same drive as you do for the topic at hand is quite uncommon

Ill do it. It matters. The definition of "FREE" is 20 Euros per a day right?

In your wildest dreams.

Heh. Its funny when a complete idiot comes and thinks he can make a server and bee cool. Sadly, we need motivation. Like money.

Heh. Its funny when a complete idiot comes and thinks he can make a server and bee cool. Sadly, we need motivation. Like money.

you seriously make us sound greedy.

it's not that i would want money for anything i'm creating. it's just that i want to script what i want to see. stuff that comes in my mind. the community center has already grown to a big library of useful stuff. if you just take whats available there you can create a good server. nearly daily there are coming new resources, new stuff you can check out. the only thing that you have to do is make the most of it and begin extending the functionality into what you want your sever to be. remove resource x add resource y but get rid of function z.

the only think i want is make as many people as possible happy with what i've done. i wouldn't want to keep it exclusive to one server unless its a whole gamemode. it just makes me happy to see others enjoy my chatbubbles or magnetwheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang, MoP! I thought you were helping me script WCG! We're almost where we need to be, and we welcomed you back with open arms, knowing your busy schedule and working around said. What took your mind off of the project?

@MOH:

I understand motivation, and the need to be interested in an outcome borne of a clear goal, but financial gain in an open source mod is where I fail to see eye-to-eye. I myself offer a plethora of benefits to anyone who helps me complete a task, albeit not often that I do ask. I remind the viewers of this topic that I am not asking for scripting help here, but simply stating my opinion of the subject matter.

@DarkDragon[GER]:

I do use the resource repository quite a bit. I find the resources provided there somewhat wanting when it comes to plugging them into WCG, mostly minor alterations and customizations before they're fully compatible with the rest of the server. 60% of our server is built on these, and none of those are completely original, save for the credits in the meta and readme, if applicable. A perfect example of this is Slothman's "legalsystem" resource, which I use in WCG regularly despite the server's freeroam base. With the first version, I worked with Slothman to improve the resource's functionality when used in a freeroam environment, brainstormed over a few bugs, and ultimately made it better and more popular for both Slothman AND I when Sloth released v2 of it with these changes applied. I did modify it further, removing a few blip-controlling aspects of it so as to make it compatible with our other blip resources, and applied it to the server. A similar story comes with every resource WCG includes, and will include if vercetti1010 indeed hasn't forgotten about working with me yet again.

But to the original subject matter, DarkDragon... you bring up an interesting motivational factor, one that I think stirs the real soul behind this project. When you say "i want to script what i want to see", what comes to your mind? What are your favorite scripts to write? And what kind of resources best hold your attention? Anyone here is welcome to answer this same question. I myself prefer things that move, like gates and elevators...simple scripts, but they really set a map off. What about you all?

well usually something pops in my mind, then i start working then one of the following happens

-i get bored/frustrated and stop working on it

-i finish it but don't think anyone would have an use for it so i keep it somewhere but mostly don't use it at all

-i finish it, thinks its useful and then release it on the community center, where everyone can take it and have fun with it.