Will MTA SA work on Apple Mac?

xSarahx

Question

So anyway, I might get an Apple Mac for my graphic design work because using PC and transferring work to Mac at my college will turn out absolutely horrible so I am getting a Mac. In free time, I would like to play MTA SA on my Mac, because my PC just sucks :P... Now I am asking, will that be possible with no problem or I will have to change some things or it won't run at all? My brother said GTA SA should work fine on it without any problems but since MTA SA is a modification, it might wouldn't work. I would love to run MTA on Mac. I have searched but I can't see any answer that answers my question.

Thanks for reading.

15 answers to this question

So anyway, I might get an Apple Mac for my graphic design work because using PC and transferring work to Mac at my college will turn out absolutely horrible so I am getting a Mac. In free time, I would like to play MTA SA on my Mac, because my PC just sucks :P... Now I am asking, will that be possible with no problem or I will have to change some things or it won't run at all? My brother said GTA SA should work fine on it without any problems but since MTA SA is a modification, it might wouldn't work. I would love to run MTA on Mac. I have searched but I can't see any answer that answers my question.

Thanks for reading.

No. Because on Mac you can't run games.But now you can install Windows on a Mac ;)

MTA SA will work in a VM inside OS X, but not natively with the Mac GTASA version.

To do this you will need:

1. Parallels for mac

2. A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or Seven.

3. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for Windows

I have tried and tested this with MTA SA 1.0 using Parallels 4 shown below, It also supports full screen etc with full DirectX support.

picture1wo.png

Good luck, give me a shout if you have any more questions / need help

MTA SA will work in a VM inside OS X, but not natively with the Mac GTASA version.

To do this you will need:

1. Parallels for mac

2. A valid copy of Windows XP, Vista or Seven.

3. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for Windows

I have tried and tested this with MTA SA 1.0 using Parallels 4 shown below, It also supports full screen etc with full DirectX support.

picture1wo.png

Good luck, give me a shout if you have any more questions / need help

Either emulation, VM, or Boot Camp is about all you can do, but MTA:SA will never be able to natively support Mac OS for two major reasons:

1. It would require rewriting/converting alot of code for it to be cross-compatible.

2. GTA games do not run on Mac OS, making the whole thing pointless.

If GTA is ever brought over to the Apple platforms, then you might see a chance for this, but unfortunately right now, mostly because of reason # 2, there's no point in doing it.

I Will Develop an MTA distribuition. I got 2 days ago a legal copy of GTA San Andreas for Mac, is just integrate and incorporate the MTA Default Files (Obviously translate it to Mac Language) and integrate it the installation to a .dmg. Is easy and fun. If you wanna help me, just write me at [email protected]

It's not easy as you think, do you even know C/C++?

I Will Develop an MTA distribuition. I got 2 days ago a legal copy of GTA San Andreas for Mac, is just integrate and incorporate the MTA Default Files (Obviously translate it to Mac Language) and integrate it the installation to a .dmg. Is easy and fun. If you wanna help me, just write me at [email protected]

I concur. Making MTA work for the Mac version of GTASA is practically impossible workwise, but you can run MTA work on the Windows version on a Mac.

I concur. Making MTA work for the Mac version of GTASA is practically impossible workwise, but you can run MTA work on the Windows version on a Mac.

I don't know...wouldn't it just be a matter of updating the changed memory addresses, tweaking the Windows-specific code to be Mac-compatible, and compiling in a Mac-language output?

I don't know...wouldn't it just be a matter of updating the changed memory addresses, tweaking the Windows-specific code to be Mac-compatible, and compiling in a Mac-language output?

Plenty of our hacks our completely Windows based. The injection of MTA itself into GTA is done via the WinAPI. There's a tonne of WinAPI usage and stuff like unicode support is largely done by hacks that Windows provides us with. From my recollection, OSX doesn't even provide such low-level functions, because that might compromise stability (how many applications need to inject themselves into a piece of software and reverse engineer the code?). Hell, MTAVC, GTA3MTA, and MTASA have never supported Windows 98 or 98SE because of the differences in WinAPI, and that's the same fundamental architecture.

Let's not forget that we wont have DirectX anymore, almost all of our drawing code and graphics functions are completely DirectX based. Moreover, after you were to port all this you would inevitably encounter bugs relating to things you wont have anticipated. This means a further 3-4months of proper testing and ironing out bugs, with a fraction of the userbase to even help you test. If all that sounds like 'tweaking' to you, you're way off the mark. It's rewriting thousands of lines of code, not tweaking.

From experience, migrating MTA from an ANSI architecture to a Unicode architecture for 1.1 took me about 3 months to stabilize, then about another 3 months of patching and fixes. And that's something that's probably about 5-10% of the scale of a port to a different operating system. So from my point of view, porting this to Mac (or indeed something like Xbox/PS2) isnt theoretically impossible, but practically it is.

I think a more likely way to achieve this is to try and use the Mac assets for GTASA (data files etc) and see if a windows executable can be launched.