Player Limit

bizaz

Well done for now I guess, MTA 1.0 is released and it's the best multiplayer mod in GTA's history in my opinion. People will start moving from SA-MP to MTA soon, though some of them may be concerned about the player limit. SA-MP has 200 now and is going to have 500 in the future. Why can't MTA have similiar results? It would be a big step to MTA, since as far as I heard that most people wouldn't move to MTA because of the player limit. Some people may be okay with the current one - 128, but since now MTA is so.. limitless, I think alot of RolePlaying servers will be popping up and they definately need more players. Well, I have no idea how it works and if it's possible, but 'eh, I'm interested in other members' opinions and facts about all of this.

The player count is easier to raise in SA-MP. Because they have very little sync, SA-MP uses a lot less bandwidth than MTA does, and its server and clients process less data. (This is why you can't damage cars, etc.)

In MTA, however, there's a lot more data going in all directions all over the place. So even a small change in player count can cause a major change in the bandwidth and processing time needed.

It's not like you need 200 or 500 players in a server though.

• MTA Team

Thank you for your kind words. Since 1.0 is finally out, we will have some time for fixing bugs in it, and also for experimenting with new stuff for MTASA, including higher player limits. Some changes have already been done, so it might be easier to increase the player limit in the nearby future.

• 2 weeks later...

I think shouldn't be a hardcoded limit, but this is something server administrator should carefully choose depending on its server capabilities. If someone manage to get a server with a big amount of bandwidth, he could safely raise this limit. If someone want more player and he has bandwidth troubles he just should low its limit or just change to a better connection.

It is a streaming problem in that case, imagine having 500 players on your screen, together with 500 cars, 500 NPCs and a bunch of crashing effects.

I wonder if MTA could bluescreen your windows?

Well i was on a test server for 0.3, there was 500 people all in place. I wouldn't say 500 vehicles, but damn close outside. It didnt crash or anything, was just laggy for me. (I dont have a good PC :P)

Well, I'm not really sure about this, but. When I was playing on sa-mp 0.3 with my SA-MP fanboyish friend. My send rate was about (down/up) 2kb/s/1kb/s when surfing on his car. Kye may have found (or learned to copy) proper sync (compared to MTA: ~600B/s/400B/s), but there's still a lot of things he's missing.

Well, sorry for being such a jerk siding with the MTA team, but I actually know Kye, and when I brought up MTA, he tried to cover the fact that he had sand in his assburger and banned me after wards while the fanboys did far much worse things. :roll: Kye is a false-dmca'ng ass anyways.

I started to look at raising it although I cannot say if it will be in 1.0.1 I can say its possible.

I am not saying anything past 128 players will work well though so if this gets added its to be used at your own risk, I don't have > 128 players to test with so cannot fully test the effects it may have.

• 3 weeks later...

With mta scripts you could connect a couple of mta servers together. You can sync chat/kills/anything between servers and throw players from one server to another with redirectPlayer (location dependant?). Making them work together i would think it'd be much more efficient than having everyone on one server, if done well.

• 2 months later...
With mta scripts you could connect a couple of mta servers together. You can sync chat/kills/anything between servers and throw players from one server to another with redirectPlayer (location dependant?). Making them work together i would think it'd be much more efficient than having everyone on one server, if done well.

Well then, for example a player is getting out of the "Downtown Los Santos" server area and comes to another area, could the server change without the player actually seeing he changed of server? For example he's driving a car from a server 1 area to server 2 area, will he stay in the car without seeing anything? It would be like a kind of streaming.

Well then, for example a player is getting out of the "Downtown Los Santos" server area and comes to another area, could the server change without the player actually seeing he changed of server? For example he's driving a car from a server 1 area to server 2 area, will he stay in the car without seeing anything? It would be like a kind of streaming.

To make the player stay in the car, something more should be scripted. But I have another idea (however, I don't know if trying to do that would be useful): using peds as copies of some players. Let's say there are some servers joined into a group. You can connect to any of them. MTA does its work to make you see other players in the same server. That server could use bots to represent players who are in other server. I think it's not difficult to make bots in one server copy players who are in another. But it would need more work to make the gameplay smooth. Elements of other types should have their copies too. So I think that may be inefficient.