Triggering a client event

Donny7878

Server:

addEventHandler( "onPlayerJoin", getRootElement(),
function ()	
	outputChatBox( "Welcome " .. getPlayerName ( source ) .. " to the test server" , source, 255, 255, 255 )			
	fadeCamera( source, true )	
	setCameraTarget( source )
	spawnPlayer( source, 0.0, 0.0, 3.0, 0.0 )	
	triggerClientEvent( source, "onRequestBuildGUI", getRootElement() )
end
)

Client:

addEvent ( "onRequestBuildGUI", true )
addEventHandler ( "onRequestBuildGUI", getRootElement(), CreateGUI )

function CreateGUI( source )		
outputChatBox ( "The CreateGUI function fired", 255, 255, 255 )	
end

Just trying to trigger the CreateGUI function when the player joins and send the message (currently) but for some reason I'm getting nothing. I debugged the trigger and it is sending the event trigger (returned true) but the client never seems to get the call or doesn't want to fire the event, could you tell me why ?

I have been working from this page on the Wiki -> TriggerClientEvent

when the player joins the server (onPlayerJoin triggers) they havent necessarily finished downloading the clientside scripts, so you may end up trying to trigger a client event that simply does not exist yet

you can use onClientResourceStart clientside to achieve what you are trying to do, it is triggered when the player finishes downloading the client script when they join the server

function CreateGUI()
end
addEventHandler("onClientResourceStart",getResourceRootElement(getThisResource()),CreateGUI)

when the player joins the server (onPlayerJoin triggers) they havent necessarily finished downloading the clientside scripts, so you may end up trying to trigger a client event that simply does not exist yet

you can use onClientResourceStart clientside to achieve what you are trying to do, it is triggered when the player finishes downloading the client script when they join the server

function CreateGUI()
end
addEventHandler("onClientResourceStart",getResourceRootElement(getThisResource()),CreateGUI)

Makes sense that, it would explain why some other code isn't working also.

Works perfectly when using your code so cheers for the that and the info, it's apreciated.