Problem with saving file

Geramy92

Hello,

Can Anyone help me?

I want to save the coordinates of me by tipping "/savepos" in a file

local fileHandle = fileOpen("koord.txt")  
function savepos(theplayer,command,text)
if fileHandle then
	local x,y,z = getElementPosition(thePlayer)
	local koordinaten = "Koordinaten:" ..x.. "," ..y..","..z.."  //"..text..-- check if the creation succeeded
	fileWrite(fileHandle, koordinaten)     -- write a text line
	fileClose(fileHandle)  
else
	outputChatBox("Failed to openFile.",thePlayer)-- close the file once you're done with it
end
end

addCommandHandler("savepos", savepos)

but always there is the error Failed to openFile

why?

First, do you have that "koords.txt" in your resource folder? If you don't you need to createFile first. Also you wouldn't want to close it every time you call the function, rather use fileFlush to save it and close it on resource stop, or add more ways to open it.

Hello,

Can Anyone help me?

I want to save the coordinates of me by tipping "/savepos" in a file

local fileHandle = fileOpen("koord.txt")  
function savepos(theplayer,command,text)
if fileHandle then
	local x,y,z = getElementPosition(thePlayer)
	local koordinaten = "Koordinaten:" ..x.. "," ..y..","..z.."  //"..text..-- check if the creation succeeded
	fileWrite(fileHandle, koordinaten)     -- write a text line
	fileClose(fileHandle)  
else
	outputChatBox("Failed to openFile.",thePlayer)-- close the file once you're done with it
end
end

addCommandHandler("savepos", savepos)

but always there is the error Failed to openFile

why?

O man, o man, o man ... uhm i write this whole command from scratch. End look to it and see the difference.

addCommandHandler("savepos", function(player, cmd, txt)
local fh = fileOpen("cords.txt");

if not fh then
	fh = fileCreate("cords.txt");

if not fh then
-- Now it is wrong! We don't have any permissions to create a file...
outputChatBox("I can't create the file 'cords.txt'. Please contact an administrator", player);
outputServerLog("Can't create the file  'cords.txt'. Please check the folder rights.");
-- Return void. To prevent other actions.
return;
end
end

local x, y, z = getElementPosition(player);
local fString = "[" .. txt .. "]\n" .. tostring(x) .. ", " .. tostring(y) .. ", " .. tostring(z) .. "\n\n";

fileWrite(fh, fString);
fileClose(fh);

outputChatBox("Youre coordinates are succesfully saved!", player);
end);

Couple of questions:

Why open a file before you start an function, and close the file when you are in the function?

Why do you append a integer value to a string?

Answer them please, and learn!

Alexander

actually saving pos is better to an xml or map...

i got a script thats working for this, i just gotta find it first lol xD

Why? Do you got an good reasen for that?

I also write all my saved positions to a txt file. If i want a map file i'll get my coords in the mta editor.

Well Alexander, depends what you gonna do with the coors. If you just gonna use them to put them into an script to for example spawn a car then you can use a .txt, or even easier just

put the game in windowed, open admin panel, select urself and write the coors directly to the script.

But If you gonna use a command like if you want to save a pos, then go to it later then xml is better.

Well Alexander, depends what you gonna do with the coors. If you just gonna use them to put them into an script to for example spawn a car then you can use a .txt, or even easier just

put the game in windowed, open admin panel, select urself and write the coors directly to the script.

But If you gonna use a command like if you want to save a pos, then go to it later then xml is better.

True.

But mostly i use it to get a coordinate fast, to put something like a pickup or something there.

And using the admin panel, you need a set of big brains to keep them in mind. And keep in mind that i'm to lazy to write it down.