[Outdated] Unofficial MTA Script Editor 0.3 (4851) RELEASED!

50p

I'm noticing there's still no way to select the server directory. I think you may have "misunderestimated" its importance in a setting where there are more than one server directory on a computer.

If I'd let users to choose their own paths I'd have to redesign lots of stuff that is not going to happen any time soon. For instance:

- There is a button "Start client and connect to local server" - which server should it connect to?

- There is a button "Start server" - which server should it start?

- There is a window "MTA Server configuration" - which server do you want to configure?

It's not that I can change a few lines of code and it's done... It requires lots of changes.

Besides, I don't know anyone that runs more then 1 local server to test their resources. Why would you want more than 1 server running on your home internet connection anyway?

If you're working on resources for multiple servers it's quite useful to keep things seperated.

i for myself got a normal 1.0 install (which the editor defaults to), a copy of the zombiemod server, a copy of the vG server, etc...

Also adding an option that allows you to modify the server path that the editor uses globally doesn't sound like "lots of changes" to me :P

Also adding an option that allows you to modify the server path that the editor uses globally doesn't sound like "lots of changes" to me :P

It's not lots of changes but again, they want to use more than 1 path, don't they?

I'm noticing there's still no way to select the server directory. I think you may have "misunderestimated" its importance in a setting where there are more than one server directory on a computer.

If I'd let users to choose their own paths I'd have to redesign lots of stuff that is not going to happen any time soon. For instance:

- There is a button "Start client and connect to local server" - which server should it connect to?

- There is a window "MTA Server configuration" - which server do you want to configure?

It's not that I can change a few lines of code and it's done... It requires lots of changes.

Besides, I don't know anyone that runs more then 1 local server to test their resources. Why would you want more than 1 server running on your home internet connection anyway?

If that's all, you could open the settings form and add ONE text box, an "open directory" or "browse file" dialog as well as a button to open the latter. Unless you have some kind of profoundly illogical way of finding paths, all of this could rather easily be changed to work from the current directory instead of whatever directory is already there, and unless you refer to that path from like fifty different hardcoded locations, I don't see how replacing it would be hard nor time-consuming.

On another note, I recommend either making this project open-source (more developers, faster progress, more features,) or at least not refusing people who offer to help for no reason.

If that's all, you could open the settings form and add ONE text box, an "open directory" or "browse file" dialog as well as a button to open the latter. Unless you have some kind of profoundly illogical way of finding paths, all of this could rather easily be changed to work from the current directory instead of whatever directory is already there, and unless you refer to that path from like fifty different hardcoded locations, I don't see how replacing it would be hard nor time-consuming.

On another note, I recommend either making this project open-source (more developers, faster progress, more features,) or at least not refusing people who offer to help for no reason.

I'll make it then for YOU robhol! FOR YOU! You hear me?! ... -.-'

I have absolutely no idea why people like you run 2 server which can barely handle 5-10 players or move it out of the place where it's meant to be :roll:

... or at least not refusing people who offer to help for no reason.

Say what? I haven't refused you if that's what you're trying to say... Other people wanted to help too but they failed to pass the "test" (make a simple, easy to use Meta.xml Editor)... One said he can make it but the next day he said he's busy.. if you're busy how can you help me? Another one couldn't even try to make it, does he really want to help? If you want to help you must have time, good knowledge about C# and willingness. You'll fix this and that and forget about existence of Script Editor or you'll get bored of it and leave. I don't need that.

If you want to continue that conversation speak to me on IRC. You know where to find me.

First, I'm german, so don't criticize my English.

I've one Question:

Where can I find the Events. The Functions I founded, they are on the right side, but where are the Events.

Maybe I'm too stupid to find them, but maybe someone can help.

They were removed due to redesign in the past (even before 0.1a) and weren't added yet. You're not the first who asked about it so I guess I'll add it soon.

I'm with robhol on this one. A person like me works on several different projects - i work with a dedicated server, the resources svn, and the editor. I have three seperate resource directories for each of them, which i interchange depending on what i'm working on.

I'm with robhol on this one. A person like me works on several different projects - i work with a dedicated server, the resources svn, and the editor. I have three seperate resource directories for each of them, which i interchange depending on what i'm working on.

Why don't you keep them all in the default resources folder? You know which resource is which so it shouldn't make any difference.

1)

is it possible to see a preview from the functions parameters? maybe in the suggestions functions

like addAccount (string name, string pass)

2)

I think it would be easier if when we double click on the function or event, it pastes automatically in the code

It is nice to choice now your own server path.

But there are a couple of things that are recommended to add:

1. Choise font style, i love to work with Courier new, size 8pt.

2. Edit the resource meta.xml.

3. Improve creating new files. Maybe something like in visual studio (2008)

4. Uhm, what is four, ow yes scan the lua files for functions, and add them also to autocomplete. (i know that it is posible).

Keep up the fine work, and o yes is it a great idea to make it open source?

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the work.

Here I post the bugs that I found, hope that will help in developing new versions. I'm using 0.2.6 under Windows XP SP3

• The renaming of scripts does not work. They stay under untitled1.lua etc. until manually renamed. Click, doubleclick etc. don't help
  • No way to change encoding of files, may be useful if server is not going to be English
  • I can't find a way to see events autocompletion. Functions do work, however this should be disabled when copy-pasting code, it looks weird when the editor suggests to autocomplete a full line of code, and sometimes the only way to avoid this is to click on another line of code.
  • The right-click functions in the left window (new resource, existing resource...) don't seem to work. The include resource function would be most welcome.
  • (not a bug) It would be fantastic, if the tooltip explaining the parameters and the action of the function would not disappear after autocompletion. It could stay for awhile while you are filling in the parameters.

Otherwise, it's a nice editor, and I hope it will be better over time.

Thanks for comments/suggestions. I must inform you that I just started (Monday, 21st) college. We haven't started doing any proper coursework yet but from what my lecturer said, we won't have much free time. My life is so different now than it was a few weeks ago. I'll try to keep working on it and improve it as much as I can but I can't promise too much. If I'll have absolutely no free time, I'll probably go open-source because I know this tool is great but has some bugs and missing features that community could fix or implement.

Thanks to all who reported bugs and everyone who use MTA:SE.

Thanks for comments/suggestions. I must inform you that I just started (Monday, 21st) college. We haven't started doing any proper coursework yet but from what my lecturer said, we won't have much free time. My life is so different now than it was a few weeks ago. I'll try to keep working on it and improve it as much as I can but I can't promise too much. If I'll have absolutely no free time, I'll probably go open-source because I know this tool is great but has some bugs and missing features that community could fix or implement.

Thanks to all who reported bugs and everyone who use MTA:SE.

Good luck with your college!

Edited by Guest
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
most stuff doesn't work for me either. it's just a very early version yet.

Oh ok. I hadn't seen any mention of it so I wasn't sure.

The program is looking great so far. With most of my experience being in visual studio it's nice to see a familiar interface for lua scripting. Looking forward to updates.

Windows 7 compatibility status: Compatible

Are you sure? I have windows 7 and for some reason I can't save any scripts. There are no errors I just don't get the dialog, and it doesn't overwrite existing files either. Any thoughts?

Vista users must run this application with admin privileges otherwise the files are saved in different directory. Maybe 7 works the same. Try to run it with admin rights. Also, when the files is saved you will see confirmation message in status bar saying "File 'filename.lua' saved...".