[Outdated] Unofficial MTA Script Editor 0.3 (4851) RELEASED!

50p

Yea i have found two Bugs:

The First is:

You cant close files which you opend over file->open and over the Open-Icon.

The Second is:

If you want to test your script with the Connect-Icon the Game starts, but you wont connect to the local Server.

I hope you´ll fix it soon.

Greetz.

SpeedY

Does it show you a pop up window with the error message or does it crash and show bug report window? Also, what program did you use to save the changes (the credits are probably in meta.xml, right?)

Also, what is the exact message you get?

EDIT:

To everyone who get "System.NullReferenceException" in 0.1.8a or 0.1.10a, could you please explain how to reproduce these crashes?

I know it happens

- after you change file name (by editing label in Resource Explorer)

- press "Delete file" from the context menu in Resource Explorer

- or change the resource from the combo box

Thank you.

The error i get is the following:

Error during analisys of EntityName. Line 2. Position 32

Line 2. Column 32

in ..\my mta server path\resources\mdm\meta.xml

The resource "mdm" will not show any files in "Resource explorer".

My meta.xml

not sure but there is lots of file with this line

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

this tells the file is saved as 2bytes per char phisically, while they are 1 byte per char (UTF-8)

any strict xml parser will tell this is not a valid xml file

change the line for this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

ive seen other files in resources with stuff like this <* ... *> i dont think this is valid xml and the parser would rise an error too, this must be changed to <? ... ?> , i think the correct way is <?[id] ... ?>, in example:

<?lua ... ?> or <?mta-lua ... ?>

like in <?php ... ?> , thats the correct xml syntax.

maybe xml errors are coming from this 2 things

not sure but there is lots of file with this line

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>

this tells the file is saved as 2bytes per char phisically, while they are 1 byte per char (UTF-8)

any strict xml parser will tell this is not a valid xml file

change the line for this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

ive seen other files in resources with stuff like this <* ... *> i dont think this is valid xml and the parser would rise an error too, this must be changed to <? ... ?> , i think the correct way is <?[id] ... ?>, in example:

Go back a page or 2 and read if you haven't already.

Your funny theory about <?[id] ... ?> made me ROFL. Seriously.

And there is lots of files with encoding="UTF-16" (and probably all of them are race maps) because that's how the file was created with Race Converter which is simple C# application to convert maps form MTA: Race to MTA: SA.

Go to microsoft and complain also about asp, they have the <% ... %> syntax, that is also not a valid xml syntax. :)

Just was trying to help. As in last page i saw someone asking about this issue, thought no one answered.

I meant exactly that it is not about the program, but prolly the XML parser complaining about not well-formed xml

About your comments, if you want it that way:

- And there is lots of files with encoding="UTF-16" (and probably all of them are race maps) because that's how the file was created with Race Converter which is simple C# application to convert maps form MTA: Race to MTA: SA.

That a program convert them that way doesnt make them well-formed XML. That program is bugged, as it is not writting the correct encoding for the file. Here are some errors from an XML parser:

22:02:43: XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 1

22:02:48: XML parsing error: 'encoding specified in XML declaration is incorrect' at line 1

(follows 140 lines like this one up)

22:02:48: XML parsing error: 'encoding specified in XML declaration is incorrect' at line 1

22:02:48: XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 7

22:02:49: XML parsing error: 'no element found' at line 706

22:02:49: XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 1

22:02:49: XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 1

-Your funny theory about <?[id] ... ?> made me ROFL. Seriously.

Go get a copy of XML specification and read if you haven't already. Ok i will do for you

(http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/)

2.6 Processing Instructions

[Definition: Processing instructions (PIs) allow documents to contain instructions for applications.]

Processing Instructions

[16] PI ::= '<?' PITarget (S (Char* - (Char* '?>' Char*)))? '?>'

[17] PITarget ::= Name - (('X' | 'x') ('M' | 'm') ('L' | 'l'))

PIs are not part of the document's

-------------------

As a last note, if someone is interested:

> files with <* ... *> tags (4 files)

> files with incorrect encoding (142 files)

22:02:48: XML parsing error: 'not well-formed (invalid token)' at line 7

> map file broken with a few lines like

> tdma-damwars\TDMA WRS.map

22:02:49: XML parsing error: 'no element found' at line 706

> incomplete map file, premature end

> tdma-damwars\conv_TDMA WRS.map

Edited by Guest
If you associate .lua files with the Scripteditor, the scripteditor opens empty :(

when you associate a file and you try to open it that way, windows will try to open files using command line arguments (i.e. \mtase.exe "%1" %*) or using DDE data transfer. Application must implement it. If not, last command will open an empty application. Although i dont think that is a must-have feature. You will prolly open much more files from the application itself than using that feature.

Go to microsoft and complain also about asp, they have the <% ... %> syntax, that is also not a valid xml syntax. :)

Well, Microsoft always have its own "better" way for everything.

<* and *> are for MTA's web-based resources. They work as <? ?> in php and <% and %> in asp, they let you embed code in an html (or any other kind of) document. I wouldn't expect them to validate as XML, but they aren't intended to, the resulting files generated by the server from such files could be valid XML (or HTML, or XHTML or anything).

See https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/index.php?title=R ... Web_Access for more.

I know what they for eAi, in fact you can use whatever syntax you want. But if someone would want to write a third party tool that would need to parse these files, they would fail to parse, since they dont use the XML standard syntax that is <?id ?>.

Anyway this is not gonna happens as i dont think no one but MTA itself needs to parse these files, and MTA understand the <* *> syntax. These files are only needed to be opened as plain text for editing.

But for the encoding here there is a case where a third party tool (MTASE) fails to parse files cos of malformed XML. These should be fixed, if for some reason they couldnt be fixed, 50p should have to write a workaround for this issue.

I dont have any idea about .NET but he is prolly using some XmlDocument class to open and parse the files

Surely this class accepts Input streams too.

Actually i would open the file manually

read contents to a buffer (some buffered stream class would be perfect)

replace "utf-16" for "utf-8" in the buffer

wrap the buffer with an stream (surely .Net has some bufferstream wrapper class) (or maybe the buffer itself allows input/output streams)

create the XmlDocument from the stream

that would stop the errors

I dont have any idea about .NET but he is prolly using some XmlDocument class to open and parse the files

Surely this class accepts Input streams too.

Actually i would open the file manually

read contents to a buffer (some buffered stream class would be perfect)

replace "utf-16" for "utf-8" in the buffer

wrap the buffer with an stream (surely .Net has some bufferstream wrapper class) (or maybe the buffer itself allows input/output streams)

create the XmlDocument from the stream

that would stop the errors

If you've read the entire topic or at least a few last pages, you wouldn't post already mentioned things. You don't bring anything new really. As I said read a few pages back as they are the most recent ones...

MTA won't support UTF-16, nor will it support UTF-8 properly (ASCII is a subset of UTF-8, but not a subset of UTF-16).

I can't seem to find a way to ignore the xml declaration in meta.xml files. I've been googling but can't find it. I guess I'll have to load the the file into string and remove text from <? to ?> before I parse it.

Cool, but this editor is too confusing to me o_O Maybe because i have used Notepad++ from begining of Lua scripting :lol:

Tell me, what's so confusing? I was trying to keep it as easy to use as possible and look like Visual Studio.

Talking about VS; how about making two of the most useful functions I've seen in there? Both would fit rather nicely in a function context menu if there is such a thing. The first would be Go To Definition - as the name says, it finds, scrolls to and highlights the function definition. The second would be Find All References which finds all references (dur) to the given symbol, function, variable, etc. and presents them in a nice list.

Talking about VS; how about making two of the most useful functions I've seen in there? Both would fit rather nicely in a function context menu if there is such a thing. The first would be Go To Definition - as the name says, it finds, scrolls to and highlights the function definition. The second would be Find All References which finds all references (dur) to the given symbol, function, variable, etc. and presents them in a nice list.

These are part of IntelliSense which I'm not going to program -.-' although it would be nice.

These are part of IntelliSense which I'm not going to program -.-' although it would be nice.

In my honest opinion, i think having such a argument/function system trumps all of the other features currently available. I'm not talking about intellisense in specific, just the function drop and argument tooltip listing in VS is the best i've seen. If there were such a plugin for notepad++, i would use it over mta:se. Personally i really dislike the current way the functions and arguments are displayed in mta:se - enough so that i dont use it regularly.

Has anyone experimented with LuaEclipse? http://luaeclipse.luaforge.net/

Eclipse, in my experience with Java and python, provides a very good IDE, better than VS does with C++ (though that's due to the language more than the IDE). Building on top of LuaEclipse to provide MTA integration might make sense.

Thanks, but I've gone too far with this project to give up now and start something different but hopefully there is someone else that would give it a go. Although, I'm not sure if anyone wants to download Eclipse for Java and Java Runtime Environment just to get LuaEclipse to work, at least I couldn't be bothered.