[Outdated] Unofficial MTA Script Editor 0.3 (4851) RELEASED!

50p

• I don't know if you've already seen it or fixed it, but there's a typo in the resource wizard picture. (what is "Freiendly"? :P)
  • How about highlighting of custom defined variables? In that case it would be easier to spot typos.
  • About the function highlighting, how will this be done? Just all a specific color, or every function has a color depending on it's existence client/server -side? (i.e. only client-side is red, server-side is orange and both is blue)
  • If a server-side function is used in a client-side script, would the script editor detect this?

Doable, and probably useful, IMO. I don't work on this, though, so it's not up to me.

50p: what code editing control do you use and where did you get it?

• I don't know if you've already seen it or fixed it, but there's a typo in the resource wizard picture. (what is "Freiendly"? :P)
  • How about highlighting of custom defined variables? In that case it would be easier to spot typos.
  • About the function highlighting, how will this be done? Just all a specific color, or every function has a color depending on it's existence client/server -side? (i.e. only client-side is red, server-side is orange and both is blue)
  • If a server-side function is used in a client-side script, would the script editor detect this?

1. Fixed it already.

2. I'm not sure of that. We may do the same thing as Notepad++ where you highlight a word and it's somehow highlighted in the entire file.

3. I'm planning to highlight the function of their existence. Client-side = red, Server-side = orange, Both = blue.

4. It wouldn't be highlighted.

All of your questions/suggestions are linked to highlighting which I haven't done yet. Currently it highlights only Lua keywords, numbers, strings, comments, etc. But I'm hoping to get the highlighting working soon.

Doable, and probably useful, IMO. I don't work on this, though, so it's not up to me.

50p: what code editing control do you use and where did you get it?

http://www.puzzleframework.com/wikiengi ... aspx?ID=90

I have no idea whether or not it's actually already the case, but how about making the function list a little more useful (still) by having it insert a full function prototype when double-clicking one of the list items?

I have no idea whether or not it's actually already the case, but how about making the function list a little more useful (still) by having it insert a full function prototype when double-clicking one of the list items?

I would rather it inserted the function name, then an opening bracket, i.e.

"playSoundFrontEnd ( "

Then the tooltip appears showing the syntax. Otherwise you find yourself having to scroll back and remove the arguments, which i find really annoying. it would slow down speed of development if you mostly knew the syntax for all functions already (as with me).

A suggestion:

Maybe you can set a little option in the menu: Search errors and warnings

Like that its detect some wrong LUA syntax, like you forget a ")" to set (Just a stupid example.). Or that a function you used in not anymore in the currently version. I think that would be pretty usefully.

Tooltips look good, but I think it's definitely worth also having a way to jump to the wiki page for that function.

I may send users to wiki by double-clicking function node on the right side of the main window. It may take you more time to open specific function from there but there is a search box so shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure if double clicking function node should open a wiki page or add that function to the code, but I doubt anyone would like to add a function to the code when they have a list popping up.

I like the tooltips, but i much prefer VS's ones, where they bold for the parameter you're on. I think that's very tidy though im not sure how easy itd be to implement.

Also, if it were up to me, i would disable the function dropdown toolbar because i would use the one on the right only. Is it possible to configure this stuff?

I like the tooltips, but i much prefer VS's ones, where they bold for the parameter you're on. I think that's very tidy though im not sure how easy itd be to implement.

Also, if it were up to me, i would disable the function dropdown toolbar because i would use the one on the right only. Is it possible to configure this stuff?

The tooltip you see on the screenshot is the same as the one in VS. Check it yourself, when you start typing name of a function it will show you the list of functions (starting from the one that matches the characters you typed in). You can then scroll through the functions, each one you select will show you a tooltip in this format:

( )

Once you double-click the function or you press Enter the function will auto-complete and then when you open bracket you will see another tooltip with this format:

( )

:

And I think you were talking about this later tooltip. The syntax highligher we used (a 3rd party lib) does have both types of the tooltips and I'll try to make use of the another one (the one you want).

Options, currently it's what you see on the screenshots, I thought that many features could be turned off, eg. Image Viewer. For now I just want to finish this off before you release MTA, so I'm rushing. Me and Fenix had a little argument last night about this tool, because I want to get it done and he was meant to clean up the code about 2 days ago but he hasn't yet and said he doesn't like that rushing... So I'm cleaning the code myself. I don't know if he really cares about this project any more but he doesn't seem to be since I've seen him asking scripting question on IRC instead of helping me with SE. Anyway, I'm going to try to fix all bugs, add features and release this tool as soon as possible (before MTA's 1.0 release).

Can you drag and drop images/sounds/models etc into the code? Maybe doing so pops up a dialog giving you some options (i.e. how you want to use it and then inserts a relevant snippit), or more simply just inserts the path?

That's a good idea. I thought of right-clicking them and "Add path to code" but dragging them would be even faster but even right-clicking them hasn't been added yet. If we won't get on time, we'll try to add it and release a patch.

EDIT:

Added and works fine :)But it needs some tweaking, I haven't implemented the feature of smartpaths, yet. It just inserts the path of the file (which is in meta.xml) into the code, even though it looks nice.

It does support smartpaths now. I only added support for image and sound files but I'll add more file types pretty soon.

Hey guys, i started scripting for the nightly's for two weeks, and i decided to take a look at the forum once again.

Anyway, this Script Editor looks really amazing - but as i can see its not released yet. Is there any release date yet?

PS: Not sure its implement already, but it would be cool if you can right click on a function and open the wiki using a button "Goto Wiki" or so. :)

So long,

XetaQuake

Edited by Guest