General MTA lag

Hello.

Experienced MTA fanatics, let me ask you - how many people do you reckon MTA can handle in one tight spot?

I've experienced this sort of lag/fps drain on several occasions, even with smaller groups of people. Of course the effect is bigger for people with older computers.

I remember three instants -

1) With ~ 15 people in an interior.

2) With ~ 40 people in a server.

3) With ~ 80 people in a server, during a beta test.

A) Like already mentioned, how many people do you think MTA will handle in a server?

Note that in a server, I mean a one, with a decent script with like ~ 20-40K lines of code.

B) Compared to SA:MP which can support up to 200 players, what will the cap be for MTA? Without causing any horrific lag for any of the players.

C) Could this be an MTA issue, which might be fixed in the future?

Thanks in advance,

CC.

A)

This is really not something you can just throw out an answer to, there are way too many variables. For example the bandwidth of server, hoster and clients, what is being done with the data and how long it takes to travel back and forth. Sync in DP2 often kind of messed up at around 40 players in my server, but to be honest, DP2 sync is notoriously unreliable anyways.

B)

The thing you gotta remember when comparing SA-MP to MTA is that SA-MP only syncs the bare minimum. That's why you have people teleporting into cars, unoccupied cars not taking damage, idiotic bugs and quirks like that. You can have more players in a SA-MP servers, but because the sync is already rudimentary to the point of almost being non-existent, you won't be noticing the difference.

Considering how much more additional sync data MTA sends back and forth, higher bandwidth usage is kind of unavoidable. I can't see how/why you'd need 200 players in a server anyways.

C)

Lately, in 1.0 development, there have been a LOT of improvements and optimizations in bandwidth usage, and this will probably help increase the amount of players that can be on a server without it turning batshit crazy... :P

Thanks for your quick answer.

I was guessing that those lag issues are caused by the fact that MTA is keeping everything so syncronised -after all GTA:SA is a singleplayer game.

Role-play servers could use a hundred player cap, at least I'd like to emphasize. If it could be stable enough around that number, it would get MTA a decent amount of players, since this genre is getting popular every day. It has been my biggest fear that the server won't support enough players for a decent role-play environment, hence I haven't started scripting anything just yet.

The thing you gotta remember when comparing SA-MP to MTA is that SA-MP only syncs the bare minimum. That's why you have people teleporting into cars, unoccupied cars not taking damage, idiotic bugs and quirks like that. You can have more players in a SA-MP servers, but because the sync is already rudimentary to the point of almost being non-existent, you won't be noticing the difference.

By the way, is there any chance this sync level as such, could be server controlled?