Win 98 comp. mode in XP = nogo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi there... i have W98. I can connect to servers, i can chat with players and when i join a game the GTAVC starts normally. I choose Start multitheftauto game(or something like that) then the game loads and when it finishes i can only see a black screen and a game status line at the top left corner of the screen but nothing more. And after this i press a button and it crashes... :(

What can i do to be able to join games and fully enjoy MultiTheftAuto?

If it is incompatible with W98, is it possible for the creators to make a fix/patch for W98 users?

Copied from the main page:

Please remember that the client only works on Windows® 2000 and Windows® XP

An dno i dont think that will be possible for now( if ever) because of the big differences between win 9X/ME and win 2k/xp seems like your best solution would be to get another OS. sorry :(

Hi again... it is not possible for me to get WXP or W2k. i can only use W98. The other problem is that now i can join games, play and interact with other MTA gamers in the game but after a while i get disconnected from the server. :evil: The reason: "Connection timed out"... What is this... :?

:arrow: Do you think that this is possible? -> Can I go to Rockstar and make them to release an official Multiplayer Patch? Compatible with all OS...

...and then i waked up... ...it was a good dream... (Do you think?)

Hi again...

I would like to say something: Don't say thinks like "Get wXP/2k". It sounds like you dont care about w98 users...

You know something? The most of PC users IS STILL using w98/ME than XP and 2k... And believe me, it is not so easy as you think to get XP or W2k! We all know that this is not the one and only solution and we all know that you can make it work. Common you guys! you made it this far and now you are just saying "...It doesn't work under w98/ME... Get XP... e.t.c..."?

:arrow: Remember the day that GTA-VC was released? What OS did you used on your PC?

Rockstar* made a wonderfull work but they didn't managed to make it multiplayable. It is so stupid! All the previous GTAs are multiplayable!

:idea: And then some guys with the skills (yeap!... you guys) said lets make it multiplayable... and yes, you made it. You have made a more wonderfull work than them* and we all thank you a lot. ...but what about w98/ME users?...

:arrow: I wish i had your skills to help you with this but i do not have the skills... :cry:

I do not push you to make it (cause i can't), Im just saying that you have done MTA, but incomplete...

Keep working on it!

• 4 weeks later...

wishing is the right place...

got winxp , a burton 3000, ati9600 etc etc.

install vicecity and mta 0.2.2.

all seems be right, i connect to the server(lan 2 player 2 pc the other is win2k),i can start the game, can chose my player, but when i enter the game the game is "different" from the other pc, and i can see that 'cos i don't recive the server msg like ("welcome in my server etc...."). i can send msg to the server (and see them on the other player) and recive msg too... just is "another" city.

i'v run the program with all compatibility with w2k, i'v try to set almost every kind of permission to trough the network, thinking that could be a problem of that sukz win XP.

i'v try with server on both pc, i'v try with the same pc and connect trought the 127.0.0.1 but got the same problem!

really dunno what to do.

PS: i'v tried with 1.0 and 1.1 vc, and 0.2.0 and 0.2.2 mta.

nothing change.

tnx4all

DSoM

dude, we replied to your other post. stop posting this everywhere. we dont check this forum every minute. just wait about an hour of so for a response. ul usually get one within that time. this is a case where both blokker and i replied to your post. so heres a tip. if u want a response, dont post the same question in 3 different places :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

At least in 98 you can start a server then play on it by yourself! :D

Although, it's kinda pointless then.

(Also don't compare 98 to Me, cause their the same thing; execept Me doesn't work as well.)

• 3 weeks later...

Its all to do with which memory region is accessed and whether or not buffer under/overflow occours. MTA shouldnt work with 98 or ME as it uses an allocated memory region that those operating systems use for system memory. Usually it causes some part of MTA to crash (and your comp as well), But due to the nature of the PC's people have different hardware etc, so the HAL (Hardware Application Layer) of Windows may not allocate that specific portion of memory therefore not causing MTA to write over a piece of memory in use and causing your computer to fall over.

It's luck of the draw that it works- but it shouldnt and even though it starts up and plays it'll inevitably crash every other minute.

All in all its not worth playing it on these operating systems- which are crap btw and will only take 512MB of RAM (anymore and it has to be set to ignore the rest).

/whispers Buy XP................

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...