In front of a player

niemi

Okay, i want to spawn an object in front of a player, how can i do that? If i try this:

function spawnObj( source ) 
     local x,y,z = getElementPosition( source ) 
     createObject( 3267, x + 5, y, z ) 
end 
addCommandHandler( "samsite", spawnObj ) 

Sometimes it spawn the object next to him, not front, how can i do it?

function spawnObj( source ) 
    local x,y,z = getElementPosition( source ) 
    local ang = getPlayerRotation( source ) 
    createObject( 3267, x+math.sin(math.rad(-ang)), y+math.cos(math.rad(-ang)), z ) 
end 
addCommandHandler( "samsite", spawnObj )  

Didn't test, but if I didn't make a mistake, it should work.

Thx, it works, but it gets too close, if i'm trying to do this:

function pickup(player) 
    local x,y,z = getElementPosition(player) 
    local ang = getPlayerRotation(player) 
    createPickup(x+math.sin(math.rad(-ang)), y+math.cos(math.rad(-ang)), z, 0, 100) 
end 
addCommandHandler( "heal", pickup ) 

If i spawn it, it spawn it in front of me, but too close, because no one else can take it, because i take it automatically because it's too close, how can i get it a bit farther?

Try this function: http://50p.pastebin.com/f419f3719

The code would be like this

function pickup(player) 
    local _,_,z = getElementPosition(player) 
    local x, y = getXYInFrontOfPlayer( player, 5.0 ) -- 5.0 is distance in front of player 
    createPickup(x, y, z, 0, 100) 
end 

PS: Don't make 2 same topics, please.

Is it strange that this guy gets a few replies within a couple of hours and I don't get a single example in any of the replies in my thread of a similar problem. Since people are in this thread I will post my problem.

Using Sin and Cos, X and Y, How do you position an object relative to a person/object. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx, it works, but it gets too close, if i'm trying to do this:

function pickup(player) 
    local x,y,z = getElementPosition(player) 
    createPickup(x+math.sin(math.rad(-ang)), y+math.cos(math.rad(-ang)), z, 0, 100) 
end 

If i spawn it, it spawn it in front of me, but too close, because no one else can take it, because i take it automatically because it's too close, how can i get it a bit farther?

createPickup(x+math.sin(math.rad(-ang))*5, y+math.cos(math.rad(-ang))*5, z, 0, 100)

As you can see, you only have to multiply values math.sin and math.cos return.

Is it strange that this guy gets a few replies within a couple of hours and I don't get a single example in any of the replies in my thread of a similar problem. Since people are in this thread I will post my problem.

Using Sin and Cos, X and Y, How do you position an object relative to a person/object. Any help would be appreciated.

No, its not strange. Yours involves much more complicated math. If anyone knew it properly perhaps they'd help.

In what relative way?

No, its not strange. Yours involves much more complicated math. If anyone knew it properly perhaps they'd help.

How is it more complicated?

Perhaps I don't understand the complexity of it.

What level of maths are we talking A Level? Degree?

How is it more complicated?

Perhaps I don't understand the complexity of it.

What level of maths are we talking A Level? Degree?

Explain a bit more.

I don't really know what you're trying to do but if I understand well enough, you want to set object's position but the "starting point" is eg. player's position? So, let's say, when you create object its "starting point" is center of San Andreas, right? And you want that point to be position of player/vehicle? If that's what you want then level of maths required for this is E ¬¬ you only need to know what "+" does.

function setObjectPositionRelatively( object, relatedTo, x, y, z ) 
    local xx, yy, zz = getElementPosition( relatedTo ); 
    setElementPosition( object, xx + x, yy + y, zz + z ); 
end 

-- and client-side example of use: 
obj = createObject( 1111, 0, 0, 0 ); 
setObjectPositionRelatively( obj, getLocalPlayer( ), 0, 0, 10 ); 

This will set object 10 units above player. Doesn't matter where player is.

I didn't really understand your problem so I can't help you... try to explain a bit more next time ¬¬

If what I posted isn't what you're looking for then I can't help you because I don't understand your problem...¬¬ I'm sorry but what I read in your topic is same as what I read here and that's exactly how I understood your problem... Talidan gave you another possible answer in his first reply about attachElementToElement. Maybe painting in Paint will help, if not, well, good luck then...