getElementsWithinColShape() function

Krom

Hello. The task is to check if I have any vehicles nearby and return their names, if any. Here's a code I use in Cient-Side script:

aPlayer = getLocalPlayer()  
bindKey("l","down", 
        function() 
            if isPlayerInVehicle(aPlayer) == false then 
                local playerX,playerY,playerZ = getElementPosition(aPlayer) 
                local col = createColSphere(playerX,playerY,playerZ,5) 

--Main part begins just below 

local vehicles_tab = getElementsWithinColShape(col,"vehicle") 
                if (vehicles_tab) then 
                    outputConsole("vehicles:") 
                    outputConsole(tostring(#vehicles_tab)) 
                    for k,v in ipairs(vehicles_tab) do 
                        local name = getVehicleName(v) 
                        outputConsole(name) 
                    end 
                end 

-- End of check 

end 
        end 
    ) 

Line 13 appears, line 14 returns 0 (Zero) to a console, so you may easy guess that line 17 won't get me anything. When run Server-side, the function works well, giving me a list of vehicle names, but I need this running on local client PC and wiki: http://development.mtasa.com/index.php?title=GetElementsWithinColShape says me that It's possible. A bug? Any ideas?

Nothing for "player" (but it should counts myself inside the sphere). When checked serverside, the lenght of table is 2 (me and vehicle), when clientside - 0. Nothing for "object" and "pickup", however I couldn't detect them serverside as well (both created dynamically via console command). I'm not too much experienced in everything connected to MTA, but if wiki shows "getElementsWithinColShape - Client and Server function" with one common example of how the function works, then I guess it all should be ok.

• 2 years later...

I'd like to bump this bearded topic since I still have some questions left.

The reason of non-working was obvious: GetElementsWithinColShape() have some limitations client-side as said there. I don't mind being tolerant of that limitations, but how the heck can I make my custom/virtual/dummy/non-entity element to move so it could be detected by colshape?

And that's how I failed moving it:

addCommandHandler( "doCheck", 
    function( x, y, z, e, v, c ) 
        x, y, z = getElementPosition( getLocalPlayer() ) 
        c = createColSphere( x, y, z, 10 ) --// Create a colshape so it's there before elements to check 
        setTimer( --// Wait for a bit just to make sure =) 
            function() 
                e = createElement( "anElement", "anElementID" ) --// A custom element 
                setElementPosition( e, x, y + 3, z )  --// Move it to us from ( 0,0,0 ) 
                v = createVehicle( 400, x, y + 3, z )  --// A vehicle 

--// Check isElementWithinColShape() 
                outputChatBox( "\nvehicle: " .. tostring( isElementWithinColShape( v, c ) ) ) 
                outputChatBox( "custom: " .. tostring( isElementWithinColShape( e, c ) ) .. "\nlist:" ) 

--// Check getElementsWithinColShape() 
                for i, v in ipairs( getElementsWithinColShape( c ) ) do 
                    outputChatBox( i .. ": " .. getElementType( v ) ) 
                end 

--// Move custom element and check again 
                outputChatBox( "#one more time" ) 
                setElementPosition( e, x, y + 1, z ) --// Since this is not what means "to move" - I give up =/ 

--// Here goes the same result again 
                outputChatBox( "vehicle: " .. tostring( isElementWithinColShape( v, c ) ) ) 
                outputChatBox( "custom: " .. tostring( isElementWithinColShape( e, c ) ) .. "\nlist:" ) 
                for i, v in ipairs( getElementsWithinColShape( c ) ) do 
                    outputChatBox( i .. ": " .. getElementType( v ) ) 
                end 
            end 
        , 500, 1 ) 
    end 
) 

Any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I know I can do the check myself, just want to know if collision functions suitable for use with custom elements ;)

I can't be 100% certain about this off the top of my head, but I believe dummy elements don't have a position. Only elements backed by an 'entity' do - something that exists in GTA.

So, obviously, assuming that's true, dummy elements can't be inside or outside a colshape.

from my experience colshapes can only detect peds and vehicles that are synced (isElementWithinColShape on non synced element will return a last synced state)

if you want to detect other types of elements, you need to write a set custom function to chcek if the element is at given coordinates

Wojak, then how is it called getElementsWithinColShape when it doesn't support anything except peds/vehs. Then it should be called getPedsOrVehsWithinColShape or something like that. It should detect all types of elements.