Skills

Simply, what are the shooting skills involved in MTA?

Not so simple:

There are a lot of clans full of excellent players (FMJ, FAS, SAES, SAS etc) and then there's complete noobs with their dodgy behaviours. I rate myself about 3/4 of the way up, but there are still players who are better then me. This confuses the hell out of me. The game is simple, right click and click on the target. So HOW can players be any better, or for that matter any worse, then me? I understand how to use cover efficiently (aka 'Wall Shooting'), so is that all there is to MTA? It can't be though, because I'm not the best.

Note: I'm not talking about driving/flying skills, just skills that help win in gunfights.. like in the Stealth gamemode for example.

In stealth you generally have a big disadvantage if you're impatient and go running, don't take cover, or are just not cautious enough. So many people generally run into mines in the first few seconds. :lol:

In gunfights it's always important to have the right weaponry and the right skills to use them. And cover ofcourse. Some people (like me) have a terrible aim, in which it might take up to 3 seconds before you can finally shoot on your opponent, since you just can't lock sooner. This might be the biggest thing helping you.

And ofcourse, some places are better to take cover behind than others. Knowing the best places is somewhat all-important. I don't know for sure if these are all the things helping, or some aren't even helping, but this is what I guess and what I've seen so far.

In MTA (especially dp2) and SA-MP, it also has a lot to do with luck, the sync being the way it is.

As far as actual skills go, reacting quickly, aiming accurately and quickly, quick thinking, strategic thinking, mastering controls, keeping an overview of surroundings etc. are all very important.

Gamesnert, thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Toady, that's impossible :)

Robhol, if you could time someones lag and your lag so that you know exactly where they are then predicting lag would also be a skill in MTA? I guess it's true, but pretty annoying :P

Anyway, thanks all 4 the help.

I don't think that anyone just predicts the lag.. they are just used to desync and change their playing style.. Like I'm already used to shooting just ahead of a moving player (or hitting a nightstick if I want to arrest him). On the other hand, some skills that I lack is that if I get one on one gunfight with someone openly, I don't take cover, but I shoot till he or I am dead.. Even if i win, I still lose lot's of hp so anyone else can finish me off quickly.

Then there are ways to make the opponent hard to aim at you, like running in circles with a minismg and aiming /shooting at the opponent, who will not be running, since he tries to aim you.. Usually they get finished off quite quickly.

Gamesnert, thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Toady, that's impossible :)

Robhol, if you could time someones lag and your lag so that you know exactly where they are then predicting lag would also be a skill in MTA? I guess it's true, but pretty annoying :P

Anyway, thanks all 4 the help.

That's more SA-MP than MTA, in my experience MTA lag is unpredictable, and not even forward aiming is a good solution. It either works or doesn't.

don't you have better things to worry about? every multiplayer is as simple or as hard as your opponents.

Being skilled in MTA, for me, is the most important part of the game. I've just never established what really takes skill in MTA, so i've never been able to improve. So, no, there isn't anything 'better' for me to worry about, this is pretty important to me.

I think the real skill lies within using your time strategy wisely and always being 1 step ahead of your opponent. I know it’s easy to debate over the synchronisation issues, though I find competition much easier on SA than I use to do on VC. I found it more noticeable to recognise if a player had skill on VC than I do on SA, as everybody I have competed against more or less has the same adequate skill to a degree which is no different from anyone else IMO.

I've just never established what really takes skill in MTA

see ppl before they see you. shoot them before they shoot you. take as little damage as possible and decide when to hide and get new health. reload at the right time

depends on the gamemode in most cases, for example when headshot is disabled you need good timing instead of aiming skill

Unfortunately SA has killed the art of weaponry due to its flawed aiming system. Something i miss a lot since gta3 and vc.

It requires gamemodes to rip apart what SA was originally, or modify it significantly to make a good game out of it. Stealth is a prime example of this by implementing other factors that introduce what you call "skill".

As such, many servers introduce headshots support so that there is an element of skill - even to the most basic gamemodes. Although you can't guarantee a headshot script is enabled, i would stick to trying to aim for headshots.

Simply, what are the shooting skills involved in MTA?

Not so simple:

There are a lot of clans full of excellent players (FMJ, FAS, SAES, SAS etc) and then there's complete noobs with their dodgy behaviours. I rate myself about 3/4 of the way up, but there are still players who are better then me. This confuses the hell out of me. The game is simple, right click and click on the target. So HOW can players be any better, or for that matter any worse, then me? I understand how to use cover efficiently (aka 'Wall Shooting'), so is that all there is to MTA? It can't be though, because I'm not the best.

Note: I'm not talking about driving/flying skills, just skills that help win in gunfights.. like in the Stealth gamemode for example.

maybe it is because ppls are using joypad, thats like auto-targeting, and there are no-live people.

i saw last time in a stealth server: someone with 872 kills :P

• 5 months later...
maybe it is because ppls are using joypad, thats like auto-targeting, and there are no-live people.

i saw last time in a stealth server: someone with 872 kills :P

sorry for posting on this old thread but to make things clear, only nightly's support joystick and in nightly there's no auto targeting trust me i use joystick and is not easy to target without auto targeting.

• 3 weeks later...

theres no doubt san andreas is a totally different skillset that gta3 or vc. those two games wer much more similar to an fps type of gameplay, where reflexes and timing were the dominating factors.

in san andreas i find you have to think more about strategy. try to get into your opponents head and predict his/her next move. the different aiming and movement system means your environment has a lot more effect.

as far as tips go:

-make sure you have a good framerate, even at the cost of things looking ugly as sin.

-stick with a teammate, it takes a lot more skill to take down 2 people at once unless they are total noobs.

-in stealth, be patient and dont make a single movement without a plan. if you have to step into an area thats vulnerable, have a teammate provide coverfire

-explosives explosives explosives

-only use weapons you cant move well with at long range, for medium and close fights, use something you can run and shoot with

Mines are also a good thing to destroy the enemey. look people always go to and then hide the mines of a place where they not can see them, but still works.

Some people uses also satchels with a camera. Set your cam on a place where you good can see the people on the place. And then place some satchels at the doors/whatever. You can kill them then easlly. Also take a good hide place for you self when you useing the cam at stealth.

Also train on your anim on headshots, its very usefull. And the best, but maybe the most noobish way: Camping. Go serach for a dark spot and a little object where you can stand on. And wait... wait... But by silence, thanks to the sound system at stealth you can see other people who make sound. Above you radar you will see it. If its full you make to much sound. If its empty you can camp.

I've never thought camping was noobish in SA since, as Slothman says, it's a lot to do with strategy. Sometimes that's waiting for the enemy to come to you, as it's really easy to pull off headshots when hiding behind a wall.

I haven't ever thought of using the camera with satchels, i've always camped at the satchel area or waited for the blips to be in the right place :) Nice idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Few people develop a good notion of their surroundings... Sneaking up on someone's back and spraying them down is usually easy :P

@ aiming ahead... That worked perfectly on mta:gta3. The same rule applies more or less here.