Season's Greetings

jhxp

• MTA Team

It's this time of the year again and like before, there has been a lot of stuff going on with Multi Theft Auto. The development seems to be going well since we have opened the source for the project - there have been over 150 changes made to the code since the last post, making for an average of over 5 commits a day. You can track these changes yourself through our page on Google Code.

Additionally, a bunch of new developers have contributed to the project, either by submitting patches for fixing bugs (like fog flicker fix for users with ATI graphics cards or compatibility fixes for the linux server) or by adding new features (different skins now have their own voices, rather than all having CJ ones; initial joystick support - we will write more about this one in our next status update), all of which are certainly a benefit to the project.

Also, lil_Toady has recently introduced initial support for loading and using custom sounds in MTASA. It is currently compatible with a wide variety of formats including MP3, WAV, OGG, RIFF, MOD, XM, IT and S3M. Along with already available custom map and model support, this will allow you to further customize the game by making it possible to add your own sounds or music to your maps and gamemodes.

In other news, we have also opened another project on Google Code dedicated to the resources included or to-be-included with the final MTASA server release. You can use them with your nightly build server, as they should be fully compatible with MTASA 1.0. You can also contribute to this project by sending your updates to the currently available resources (which would contain bug fixes, new features or just improvements in the way they work), or send your own resources for us to review, if they're useful for most people and ready for general use. The project can be found here.

Just like we have mentioned in the last post, we have introduced the roadmap for the mod. Keep in mind however that while it should give you a bigger picture of what needs to be done before release, it is not fully accurate due to the nature of the mod.

That being said, we would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Let's hope that the upcoming year will allow us to bring you even better news!

And here's a Christmas tree to celebrate the occasion:

christmas-tree-th.jpg

-The MTA Development and QA teams.

Edited by Guest
Oh-My-God

I remember hoping MTA DM v1 (including map editor) would be the xmas present for 2007.

And yesterday, I talked to a friend concerning MTA. Told him I couldn't wait to get MTA SA for Xmas this year.

And you know what we get?

A picture of a Christmas tree.

What is wrong with you people?

You will get this stamp from me:

LOST INTREST.

merry xmas.

And this, class, is what is normally referred to as an ingrate, or as we say where I live, utakknemlig jævel. Where are your contributions? Hoping for DM v1 to be released then and getting disappointed is understandable, due to the community getting almost no info, but now, the whole thing is open and you can keep track of changes as they happen.

Did you expect the progress to jump from 43% to 100% overnight?

Nobody told you you'd be getting 1.0 for christmas, and if they did, they were full of sh1t.

Edited by Guest
Oh-My-God

I remember hoping MTA DM v1 (including map editor) would be the xmas present for 2007.

And yesterday, I talked to a friend concerning MTA. Told him I couldn't wait to get MTA SA for Xmas this year.

And you know what we get?

A picture of a Christmas tree.

What is wrong with you people?

LOST INTREST.

merry xmas.

And this, class, is what is normally referred to as an ingrate. Where are your contributions? Hoping for DM v1 to be released then and getting disappointed is understandable, due to the community getting almost no info, but now, the whole thing is open and you can keep track of changes as they happen.

Did you expect the progress to jump from 43% to 100% overnight?

Nobody told you you'd be getting 1.0 for christmas, and if they did, they were full of sh1t.

Well said, it's one thing to be disappointed when hoping for something, but this guy is just a selfish brat. And it's spelled interest nub!

LOST INTREST.

Then why did you come back? You're interested, you're just being a impatient child. Grow up and learn to have patience like the rest of us. You are invaluable, since your attention span is too short to stick around long enough to do anything productive for the community. You didn't even have enough attention to pay to your own terrible spelling. Merry Christmas you mod hopper, go complain on some other mod forums that you are too impatient to wait for. UT has alot of mods, you won't be bored there.

LOST INTREST.

Then why did you come back? You're interested, you're just being a impatient child. Grow up and learn to have patience like the rest of us. You are invaluable, since your attention span is too short to stick around long enough to do anything productive for the community. You didn't even have enough attention to pay to your own terrible spelling. Merry Christmas you mod hopper, go complain on some other mod forums that you are too impatient to wait for. UT has alot of mods, you won't be bored there.

Be realistic man. Snickers is rather late in losing interest. There have been hundreds of people before him already. A 3 year wait is just rather long, there's no excuse for that.

To all those losing interest, I invite them to join the development team to improve MTA or even the resources project. Remember that MTA developers make it for free and they haven't promised anything for a given date, so they don't owe anything to anyone. Now that it's open source, though, it's time to collaborate with the project, but I see that the whinners quota is quite higher than the new developers quota.

Bearing in mind that

a) Few people can run GTA IV, let alone with decent frame rates

b) The amount of resources required for something like MTA:IV vs GTA:IV is likely to be drastically higher (look at GTA:SA vs MTA:SA)

c) The PC port of IV fails majorly, both looking at bugs and inefficiency

d) MTA:SA is still not finished, and doing so will take a long time

I don't think MTA:IV is such a good idea. Maybe when MTA:SA is perfect (if that indeed will happen someday :P) and GTA:IV is less bloaty and bug-riddled, and/or more people have upgraded their PCs to handle it better.

Bearing in mind that

a) Few people can run GTA IV, let alone with decent frame rates

b) The amount of resources required for something like MTA:IV vs GTA:IV is likely to be drastically higher (look at GTA:SA vs MTA:SA)

c) The PC port of IV fails majorly, both looking at bugs and inefficiency

d) MTA:SA is still not finished, and doing so will take a long time

I don't think MTA:IV is such a good idea. Maybe when MTA:SA is perfect (if that indeed will happen someday :P) and GTA:IV is less bloaty and bug-riddled, and/or more people have upgraded their PCs to handle it better.

IV doesn't seem as good for MP as SA. SA seems... Well... It just has a nicer multiplayer feeling.

Besides, MTA and SA-MP exist out of RP servers for the biggest part, and I don't think RPing would be something to do on IV... The only real pros IV has, is the more realistic physics and the build-in cell. That's all. =/

• 2 weeks later...
it has many pros but as many cons... fix them and you get a REAL gta iv - next time r*, dont take so many cool things out of your game.

Well if R* decides to make the patches to fix the game non-anti-mods then there should'nt be a prob, but id prefer focusing on sa first.