DP2.* Why so laggy?

Now, i know you get a lot of these, but i do want to know the auctual cause.

because i have a fairly decent PC:

AMD x64 Dual Core 4600+

ATi HD4850

6GB DDRII 800MHZ Ram

Now, i am barley able to hold 30FPS in MTA if theres over 10 players. If theres over 15 players, i can hardly hold 10FPS.

I have a few monitoring things showing my CPU Usage Never goes past 70% in MTA.

and Riva Tuner shows my GPU never goes over 0.25% usage. (Yes, ONE QUARTER OF A PERCENT)

Now, the question is, Why dosent MTA use more of the the GPU? as i can imagine if it did, it would lag less.

i know FPS is improved in DP3, and i should just wait for it and all that, but i just want to know How come it lags so much in DP2. and uses so little GPU power. (Just inquisitive)

Kind of hard in a 24/7 Race for Dm server.

But yeah, what causes the lag in the first place, as its got a Lot of GPU just sitting idle.

Like, this "Improved text syetem" that apparently gets better FPS than MTA:Race, and yet it causes flickery sky and still the framerate is overall lower than MTA:Race.

It almost seems like what MS Did with Vista: Released 3 Betas, First one was Great, second was crap, an the third beta was Unbeliveably buggy, unstable, slow and terrible, and then the Full release of vusta was just a rebadge of the worst beta.

So like, MTA had overall better framerates in MTA:Race, and now DM has terrible framerates, you would think that if the older system was working, why make it so much worse?

another thing ive noticed about Object placement, is, in Race maps with a ARSELOAD of objects, in MTA:Race on a Geforce2 MX440 i could hold a stable 25FPS.

But the same map on MTA:DM on a FAR superior GFX card, a far less framerate.

But another thing, on MTA Race, the map would load almost instantly, where as DM The exact same map file... My Download speed Maxes for a short time to get 1 to 2MB of data, im guessing just object placements and such. But in MTA:Race that same map didnt do that. did MTA:Race send out the map files in some Compressed Form? Either way, it was better.

Here is somthing Interesting.

If i am in the server ON MY OWN, My Riva Tuner shows my GPU activity at around 30% and i run at a stable 47 - 48FPS

But once more people come in, till it gets over 10 players, the GPU activity has dropped off to my earlier Observation, (0.25%) (One Quarter of a Percent) and run at less than 10FPS

Just checked some other servers, and they all show the same trait. Is this the FPS issue with DP2.*? The more players you have, the Less your GPU Processes, the Lower your FPS?

You would think the need for GPU power would INCREASE with more players, and not Decrease like this.

Here is somthing Interesting.

If i am in the server ON MY OWN, My Riva Tuner shows my GPU activity at around 30% and i run at a stable 47 - 48FPS

But once more people come in, till it gets over 10 players, the GPU activity has dropped off to my earlier Observation, (0.25%) (One Quarter of a Percent) and run at less than 10FPS

Just checked some other servers, and they all show the same trait. Is this the FPS issue with DP2.*? The more players you have, the Less your GPU Processes, the Lower your FPS?

You would think the need for GPU power would INCREASE with more players, and not Decrease like this.

Hmmm... Interesting discovery! How about your CPU by the way? How is that affected by the number of people?

Still, it's indeed weird it dropped... I mean how COULD it drop with more people... Might it be that you were at a fair distance from these people? And that the 30% was when everybody was close to eachother?

nah, 30% usage with just me, and a Severe Drop per extra player that joins, no matter what distance they are away from me.

CPU Usage stays the same (around 60 to 70%) which is normal for most games, (Only UT3 and Quake 4 take this CPU all the way to 100%)

Ah ok, I thought the distance would have something to do with it.

On the other hand, if CPU stays on 60-70% all the time, then that might be the problem? Apparently MTA doesn't take the full CPU like most games (especially full-screen ones) do. This might explain the drop, since it needs to process more with more people. If it won't, well then I understand why it can become a bit laggy... :P

Nah, CPU Is a AMD Athlon AM2 X2 Dual Core 4600+ @ 2.40GHZ Per core. theres plenty of speed there

And i can run Single Player at 200+FPS With a mod that causes a LOT more traffic on the roads than normal.

:::EDIT:::

Got some Screenies.

This is the GPU's Usage at Idle.

WindowsatIdle.jpg

This is the GPU activity while holding a stable 47FPS as i am the ONLY PLAYER in the server.

MTA1Player.jpg

This is 5 players in the same MTA server.

MTA5Players.jpg

This is 10 Players in the same MTA server. (Note the Usage is LOWER THAN WINDOWS AT IDLE, WHAT THE HELL!)

MTA10Players.jpg

This is SINGLE PLAYER at about 200+FPS (Yes, Vsync is off, i always have it Off) (Activity drops at end as i had to alt tab to screenshot)

SinglePlayer.jpg

I'm pretty sure its the chatbox mate. We figured it out some time ago. In our server we have the chat functions in one resource. When the FPS gets unbearable, we simply restart the resource and everything is magically fixed. Must be something in the cache. If you think about it, it makes sense. You alone, in the server, barely use chat, server barely has to work on it. More people join, and the server has more job. It seems the system is really weak at that point. Hope it helps you. :roll:

I'm pretty sure its the chatbox mate. We figured it out some time ago. In our server we have the chat functions in one resource. When the FPS gets unbearable, we simply restart the resource and everything is magically fixed. Must be something in the cache. If you think about it, it makes sense. You alone, in the server, barely use chat, server barely has to work on it. More people join, and the server has more job. It seems the system is really weak at that point. Hope it helps you. :roll:

Interesting, but spamming about 300 times alot of "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa(maybe even longer :D)" does nothing on my server thus far... Still trying to destroy my relatively high FPS... :P

But well, I don't know how much chat there is for 10 people, but I think I already exceeded that... =/ (well ok, I'm on my own)

You should test for server lag on an empty server. That is with a basic spawn script. It may just as well be a poorly scripted game mode that caused the lag. I am not familiar with the whole synchronization process. But if the server is lagging and it forces to lower the fps on all clients to distribute a "fair share" it could explain a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
removing some of your servers UI elements could improve your performance

pspt6.th.png <---crazy :P

don't know if you've been at some of the public betas but dp3 seems to solve some of the problems, guess it's because of the text rendering

oh yeah the betas gave many people so much fps it was so amazing, you were just lucky at time a had 9 FPS and i wasnt alone

removing some of your servers UI elements could improve your performance

pspt6.th.png <---crazy :P

don't know if you've been at some of the public betas but dp3 seems to solve some of the problems, guess it's because of the text rendering

oh yeah the betas gave many people so much fps it was so amazing, you were just lucky at time a had 9 FPS and i wasnt alone

I've been there too, and had slight improvements. (almost unnoticeable) So dunno what was going on out there... =/

There is only one group that i know of that is Slower to release a new version of anything. and thats TeamSpeak. TS3 has beenin development since Febuary 2006.

(No, im not bitching about the MTA Team beins slow or anything) but i would like to see that little update thing they used to have on the front page come back, cos that made it look like the team was auctually doing somthing.

The MTA Team is always doing something, even tho its may seem slow, you have to remember that they do have lives and most are at university/working, The progress count was removed was because it was never accurate, you could get to 99% of completion and get knocked well back by a bug

The MTA Team is always doing something, even tho its may seem slow, you have to remember that they do have lives and most are at university/working, The progress count was removed was because it was never accurate, you could get to 99% of completion and get knocked well back by a bug

/me slaps brophy

The progress bar really wasn't accurate but it's been there years ago, i suppose he was speaking about the changelog thing we had not long ago. It stopped working when we went with a new build system.

/me slaps brophy

The progress bar really wasn't accurate but it's been there years ago, i suppose he was speaking about the changelog thing we had not long ago. It stopped working when we went with a new build system.

Bringing it back, or at least posting news articles more often would probably not be a bad idea. I think some guy was bitching about that in the IRC channel some time ago, but he was right. At this point people will really need some hope in DP3, not to "emigrate" to IV or whatever, the moment it's out.