nametag visibility

churchill

is it possible to have the setPlayerNametagShowing function extended?

Ideally, bool setPlayerNametagShowing (player thePlayer, bool showing, client theClient)

so that you can do things like turn off nametags on every player except for those on a player's team, for example?

I note that there's a SetPlayerNametagText coming in DP3, so I guess it would be possible to set the text to "" on every client, which would probably cause the same effect?

Hmmm... I guess I agree with this. This would make some things more realistic. For example you can make it in RP that when you've met someone, that you can see his name. Otherwise, you can't. Smart idea! :D

Maybe something like health would help too. So showPlayerHealthbar or something. That would make it even more realistic! :P

I imagine people IRL walking with healthbars! Someone falls off a bike, his healthbar decreases... xD

but being able to change the nametag of a player to "IM_LAME" really makes the deathmatch mode better? ;)

and maybe better RP modes IS what MTADM needs in order to wrestle more players away from SA-MP? :) After all, DM hasn't exactly been a roaring success, judging by the player numbers on most servers :)

While you (churchill) have a point, it's not like this one function is going to make a difference and make people leave SAMP by the hundreds. :roll: Besides, sync and DM capabilities aren't really THAT much better than SAMP in DP2, so.. when DP3 comes, people are probably going to notice it.

While you (churchill) have a point, it's not like this one function is going to make a difference and make people leave SAMP by the hundreds. :roll:

I never said this one function would make people leave SAMP, I said a half decent RP(G) server would. There are plenty of other things that can be scripted to help make that happen, which would push things forward (when it comes to RPing on MTA, at least) as opposed to the usual RP server which usually amounts to a choice of skins, a bank account, limited ways to earn money, so they become little more than DM servers but with stupid rules on when and where you can kill people, and Admins who ban you if you break them. Servers which have rules such as "You can't call someone by their name in IC chat because you've seen it above their head. You can only use their name if they've told you their name. This is called Meta Gaming and is against the rules of the server".

That's not my idea of an MTA RP server. MTA scripting can make more complex RPing modes than that. A well scripted RP server would only have rules that are enforceable through code, not through asking players to behave a certain way or be kickbanned. An RP Server should allow DMing, if that's how the player wants to RP, but the server should provide the in game players with ways and means of handling a DMer, and not resort to needing an Admin to kick/ban them.

I've seen a few RPs in development that all seem to be bucking that trend, and I look forward to them being released properly. Hopefully THEY will be what helps brings users over from SAMP.

My suggestion was just another small element that could be applied to such a server, that would mean one less "meta gaming" loophole.

anybody... please take that gun and shoot me..

Just because you don't like the idea of RPing doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. live and let live, and all that.

you forgot "have a sense of humor"

I don't know what a "sence of humour" is... Could you please explain? :D

there are more than enough rp servers as far as I know.

yes, but as I said, most of them are exactly the same, and don't really take advantage of the full power of scripting in MTA. They can and should be aiming for better systems, rather than just the basics. There are plenty of those kinds of servers, but only a handful of more complex servers, which are all still in development from what I've seen. Quality over Quantity. I could also say the same about DM servers....more than enough as far asi know ;)

there are more than enough rp servers as far as I know.

yes, but as I said, most of them are exactly the same, and don't really take advantage of the full power of scripting in MTA. They can and should be aiming for better systems, rather than just the basics. There are plenty of those kinds of servers, but only a handful of more complex servers, which are all still in development from what I've seen. Quality over Quantity. I could also say the same about DM servers....more than enough as far asi know ;)

so if there's too may RPG & DM servers then what is left?

• 2 months later...
Well, my personal opinion is that they should not add features because it would make RP modes look good. In the end, we are still talking about Death Match.

I stopped death match on SA-MP when I found it annoying so I passed to RPing, and now I'm doing the same on MTA. I think it's a little bit the same for everyone. On SA-MP most of the players are playing on a RP server but they are playing a DM server aswell in paralell.