[Community Resource / Request] Phone Numbers!

XetaQuake

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hile MySQL would be good, not every server has MySQL, and can be a pain to set up if you don't know what you're doing, so probably better to keep it within SQLLite?

Yea thats true, i preffer SQLLite too, because in MTA-DM it is already included :)

Some of those icons would be replaced, but I can imagine it having not just SMS/messaging, but also allow the server owner to add new content to the phone. e.g. say your server has a log of events that happened on the server, you could view it like "news" from the PDA. More space for reading messages would be another bonus, and viewing weather reports on there (which is why my BetterWeather system was designed with export functions so that I could do this one day), maybe a place to write notes and save them etc. The key thing would be that other resources that have info that can be displayed on the phone, could be done so by a calling the resource and passing it stuff to display.

So, imagine the above picture but with the following icons, News, Contacts, Messages, Weather, Notes, and any other icons could appear depending on what resources you set up that can send data to the PDA.

And the phone number would be kept secret. It's up to the person to give their contact details to another person.

Realy nice Ideas and a good PDA, i have this Idea with a PDA too, but there a one Problem: the needed Number-Buttons to call a Number are missing.

I have a Idea! there must be a Option in the PDA namend "Phone" or so, when you press it, a GUI Window popup with a numpad design :)

//EDIT:

callRemote + common DB or other means of data transfer (like, say... callRemote) = inter-server phone system :D

Yea, and then the MTA Team can write NEWS for every Player :) Like new versions, beta test etc. =)

//EDIT 2:

But i think its better when we don´t thinking about a global-system, lets try it only local first.

Edited by Guest

Realy nice Ideas and a good PDA, i have this Idea with a PDA too, but there a one Problem: the needed Number-Buttons to call a Number are missing.

I have a Idea! there must be a Option in the PDA namend "Phone" or so, when you press it, a GUI Window popup with a numpad design :)

Well, in my RL Phone/PDA, that's exactly what happens. I guess the way to do it would be to have one static image for the outter PDA casing, then seperate images for each button such as news, phone, contacts, messages, weather, so that they can be turned on and off depending on your server requirements. So when you click the phone button, all the buttons are replaced with the images of the numerical pad so that you can type a phone number. (or type it manually on the keyboard).

//EDIT:

callRemote + common DB or other means of data transfer (like, say... callRemote) = inter-server phone system :D

Yea, and then the MTA Team can write NEWS for every Player :) Like new versions, beta test etc. =)

now I like that idea :D

Also, with Ace_Gambit's proposed SMTP module that he announced he was working on before, if people have registered an email address on the server then it will be able to email you if you have new messages. :)

Also, with Ace_Gambit's proposed SMTP module that he announced he was working on before, if people have registered an email address on the server then it will be able to email you if you have new messages. :)

But that need to be separately too ;) Because of limited Mails or traffic on a month on a couple servers ;)

But that need to be separately too ;) Because of limited Mails or traffic on a month on a couple servers ;)

yes, but that would just be a setting that you can turn on and off in a config for the resource.

Hey all!

Now i was spending 4.5 hours in scripting for the new GUI Prototyp :D

:arrow:.:You can download it here (http://rapidshare.com/files/145335108/PDAPhone.zip.html).

:arrow:.:I used a new Design, posted by churchill.

:arrow:.:All the Buttons in the mainmenu are implement and working

:arrow:.:Buttons plays sounds

:arrow:.:I added a rollover effect.

:arrow:.:Every button launches a function, so its easily to add or edit something.

:arrow:.:Write /pda to open the PDA

And before I forget it, a screen: :D

PDAPhone-InGame.jpg

I would be happy when some more scripters help to realice this script idea - good scripters like 50p, [uVA]Bart, arc, eXo|Mr.Hankey and R3mp. A few peaple like churchill or Gamesnert help already, thanks! In this Week, i am not able to continue scripting and so on, because i write a exam on friday - so PLEAS, help scriping!

Sometimes i visit this thread and posting if necessary, but i have no time to script something. :)

Have a good night,

XetaQuake :)

Will you insert a calender? And the dates are taken from our pc?

Hmm, i am not able to script this stuff, i have only some basic skills ;)

But i preffer when the dates are saved online (SQL), for example, in a SMS, from the writer.

Edited by Guest

Well I'm working on a bit of a big resource atm, so I'm afraid I can't get involved past the idea stage right now, otherwise I'd definitely take up the batton. Hopefully a good scripter out there is bored and fancies working on it. :)

Screenshot looks nice though. From a design perspective, I think someone needs to come up with replacement icons to replace the icons in that current design, as not all of those existing buttons could be used as relevant features in MTA.

If it's planned in the right way to begin with, I'm sure the work could be split between a handful of scripters to each take a function of the PDA, rather than one person having to do all of it. As long as everyone is familiar with a common approach, it wouldn't take long to get a fully working resource going.

So perhaps the first thing to do would be to plan out exactly what features would be included, and what common system would link them all. E.g. work out the database structure needed to store all of this, any common functions that would be used by all individual features of the resource, and a list of export functions that other resources could use to pass data to the PDA resource, etc.

Do all this before you even start scripting the features, and it should a) be nicely designed b) be quick to put together by a handful of scripters.

Hi churchill :)

Well I'm working on a bit of a big resource atm, so I'm afraid I can't get involved past the idea stage right now, otherwise I'd definitely take up the batton. Hopefully a good scripter out there is bored and fancies working on it. :)

Oh ok, do you help when you are finish? :D

Screenshot looks nice though. From a design perspective, I think someone needs to come up with replacement icons to replace the icons in that current design, as not all of those existing buttons could be used as relevant features in MTA.

Yea sure, its just a prototyp, my goal was to design it 1:1 like the original design :)

Every button are one image,

there a for example the whole design:t_PDAPhoneSkim_d3ebfd7.png, the buttons: PDAdisplay1_button5.png, rollovers: PDAdisplay1_button5_rollOver.png, and the display background: PDAdisplay1_grid.jpg.

So its no problem to edit anything, and possible we rescript the gui a little bit, so its possible to define the buttons in a settings in the .xml?! :!::shock::D

(But i don´t know how this works :/ )

If it's planned in the right way to begin with, I'm sure the work could be split between a handful of scripters to each take a function of the PDA, rather than one person having to do all of it. As long as everyone is familiar with a common approach, it wouldn't take long to get a fully working resource going.

Yea great idea, so we need to organize a team.

I beginn with some ideas:

:arrow: We need a scripter to script the database stuff, i think.

:arrow: Then, a scripter to get the calls working, so peaple can write /call [Number], and then the caller can talk with the offer in a private chat.

:arrow: The same for SMS? Possible its easier when one person scripts the calls and the SMS - depends on how organized the scripters are.

:arrow: Yes well, the GUI. I am longly not a pro in LUA, so possible i script the GUI (its easier than SQL stuff and so on), or in a team with one other person like =FAS=Shigawire, because we two are germans - so is easier to understand (and =FAS=Shigawire said already he want to script the gui ^^ - do you interested?).

:arrow: :arrow: Any other ideas?

So pleas, notifies YOU (yes, you :D) with your skills.

So perhaps the first thing to do would be to plan out exactly what features would be included, and what common system would link them all. E.g. work out the database structure needed to store all of this, any common functions that would be used by all individual features of the resource, and a list of export functions that other resources could use to pass data to the PDA resource, etc.

Yea, i think its easiler to script when we know what we do, thanks :D

The basic idea was calls and SMS.

So i think first we need to get calls working, after that, or separate with a other scripter, we should try to get SMS working.

Possible without SQL first, this is unimportant for the first prototypes. So the SMS only works like PMs first, witout saving - and the phone don´t need to save, because calls a realtime ;)

When all that works with commands (for example /sms [number] [message] or /call [number]), we start implement all this commands in the GUI.

So when the main functions works, we can thinking about special features. When all works good, i think we can start implement stuff like NEWS (for my taste, thats a important special feature) so server admins can write NEWS (possible a admin panel PDA-Addon would be nice?).

Then a inbox for SMS would be good - and well, i think thats it.

it is really important that we don´t fall in vaporware. We can add things gradually, but first we should start with basic stuff, like the Phone filterscript in samp have it already.

Exportfunctions? Yea, then we need a person to script the exportfunctions, possible a manager or so.

Things like onPlayerPressButton1OnDisplay1 or onPlayerStartWriteSMS or onPlayerHangup :D

But i am not able to script that :/

Do all this before you even start scripting the features, and it should a) be nicely designed b) be quick to put together by a handful of scripters.

Yea, thanks for your tips :)

XetaQuake

I'm not working on any major resources ATM. Only a map editor just to test my skill. ^^

So yes, I can do a small part. I might be able to make a small script allowing someone to buy a phone, getting assigned with a new phonenumber and the call points. I won't do everything though! ^^

SMS, well. If calling works, SMS shouldn't be a much bigger problem. Has some challenges though, but I'll TRY to take them on. :)

Maybe database, but in this case SQL would be better than MySQL, but I have never used SQL... So that's a small chance... =/

Do note that I'm not an expert. And although the scripts I deliver usually work, they don't all work purely efficiently or has some flaws. Don't think I'm a genius! :P

I'm not working on any major resources ATM. Only a map editor just to test my skill. ^^

So yes, I can do a small part. I might be able to make a small script allowing someone to buy a phone, getting assigned with a new phonenumber and the call points. I won't do everything though! ^^

SMS, well. If calling works, SMS shouldn't be a much bigger problem. Has some challenges though, but I'll TRY to take them on. :)

Maybe database, but in this case SQL would be better than MySQL, but I have never used SQL... So that's a small chance... =/

Do note that I'm not an expert. And although the scripts I deliver usually work, they don't all work purely efficiently or has some flaws. Don't think I'm a genius! :P

A PM system are already implemented in MTA, it works with /pm (or so, you can find the command under /help in the mta core).

Possible you can modify the pm to a sms - first witout a database, so its nearly the same as PM :).

Then, when all works witout saving, the message need to be save in a database table or so. When a player login, the script need to be check if there a new messages in the database - when yes, there shows a little notify message. Later, we can build it in the gui, so a "Phone beep sound" apears when a message are in the inbox.

But i don´t know on which resource the /pm script are, possible its implemented in the core because its activated everytime. :?

I think a script to buy a phone is needed at the end, when there a exportfunctions (if anybody is founding to add exportfunctions) and the rest are working.

Can do you try to get calling working? The best in calling is that no database is needed :D (or not?, because calling is realtime).

Its "just" a chat filter, that the message only reaches the petitioned player. After a command like /hangup, the filter a disabled and the player can chat in normal chat mode.

I hope thats my concept are true and that there would working :lol: But well, i am to bad to script it - i think :?

I would be happy when you experiment a little bit whit calling, SMS or some other stuff 8)

And again, we need more scripters, please posts your part you want to script here, or post just ideas :)

... I think a script to buy a phone is needed at the end ...

... OOPS! xD

Lol actually already made it part of the script... But well, doesn't matter. Aslong as the phone comes along nicely! :D

The advantage of the buy script already activated is that the random phone number already works. They're 6 number 0 to 9 random digits. It also checks if the user already has a phone, and if the phone number is already in use. (using a garbage bin at 0,0,5000 as phone server saving the numbers... LOL)

I haven't mad it work with the GUI yet, and it's inside a whole different resource. I'll make the functions export capable so they can together form one, or what may be a smarter choise: Merge them together later. But I don't know what button is supposed to do what, that's why I did it this way. ;)

Calling others already works by the way, but the only thing you can do, is hanging up... xD

I'm on it for changing it. Just so I'd explain a few things and tell about my progress so far. ;)

Oh and some extra suggestions are welcome, but I'll do it my way for a while and adapt it later on. Is a bit easier. :P

The advantage of the buy script already activated is that the random phone number already works. They're 6 number 0 to 9 random digits. It also checks if the user already has a phone, and if the phone number is already in use.

Yea nice, all thats sounds good :D

And i don´t know know what button is supposed to do what too ^^, i would say the gui stuff is not important now.

Only commands would be good first.

Calling others already works by the way, but the only thing you can do, is hanging up... xD

:D:basicemoticon:

I'm on it for changing it. Just so I'd explain a few things and tell about my progress so far. ;)

Oh yea that sounds very good. After this week i am able to script anyting too, possible i continue the GUI for latter with popup menus etc or so

cant you make a image of a phone with out the numbers, and then create labels on the buttons for instance 1,2,3 and so on then use onGuiClick or what ever it is to check what label you have clicked on to get the correct digits to show on the phone screen, a memo could be good for displaying things, and would fit behind the image nicely cause its square init ?

The calling... Sort of... Works. Only 2 problems:

-The caller will not be able to talk after a minute. (was during testing. Fixed now)

-The one being called can't hangup. NEVER... Untill disconnect... xD

And if Scarface is talking about it, I'm testing it on his server. Since mine is acting a bit weird... xD

But Scarface, shhhh! Don't say too much yet. (Like that it's crappy so far! :-$)