DP2.3 Causing Issues in my servers.

Now, i know that the serial system shutting down was out of the MTA teams hands, so im not going to bitch about that too much.

But the main question is, WHY did you get rid of the User Accounts that went alongside it. now everyone using DP2.3 has the same username (DP2.3) its causing a LOT of problems, My DM server runs a highly modified version of race script. which also has a ranks system, you know, top times.

Back when this was made on DP2.0 Everyone had a Unique username, locked into their PC's registry. So, Mvol, the creator of raceranks, Decided to use that username to store the ranks, as we figured, that it would be a Unique name, the only person who could sign up with the name, and so on. so, this was a verry successfull system.

But now, with all the Dp2.3 users joining with the same username, its proving to be very hard on the server, it will lagg up all the time due to trying to save times for hundreds of people which it belives are the same person, due to the same username.

But the no usernames / serials also makes it hard to ban cheaters, as most of them were idiots that didnt know they could eaisially change that info in their registry (Which is a massive security hole IMO. it should have been saved on the net, not in the registry) would have been completley stuffed by a serial ban, or a Username ban (as we have that system in a script)

Either way, If only one of these features was to come back, at least make it the Unique Usernames. if you cant do serials, Usernames with info saved on the site, not the registry will be better than nothing.

Untill then i am debating on banning the serial 0000-0000-0000-0000 in all my servers, as IP bans are useless, and most cheaters have moved on to DP2.3 as it takes all of 15 seconds to avoid an IP ban by restarting the modem.

I am still yet to Downgrade to DP2.3 from DP2.1 as i would rather have my username and serial unique, so that servers like mine can save my stats properly.

rotatorsig.php

Edited by Guest
Now, i know that the serial system shutting down was out of the MTA teams hands, so im not going to bitch about that too much.

But the main question is, WHY did you get rid of the User Accounts that went alongside it. now everyone using DP2.3 has the same username (DP2.3) its causing a LOT of problems, My DM server runs a highly modified version of race script. which also has a ranks system, you know, top times.

Back when this was made on DP2.0 Everyone had a Unique username, locked into their PC's registry. So, Mvol, the creator of raceranks, Decided to use that username to store the ranks, as we figured, that it would be a Unique name, the only person who could sign up with the name, and so on. so, this was a verry successfull system.

But now, with all the Dp2.3 users joining with the same username, its proving to be very hard on the server, it will lagg up all the time due to trying to save times for hundreds of people which it belives are the same person, due to the same username.

But the no usernames / serials also makes it hard to ban cheaters, as most of them were idiots that didnt know they could eaisially change that info in their registry (Which is a massive security hole IMO. it should have been saved on the net, not in the registry) would have been completley stuffed by a serial ban, or a Username ban (as we have that system in a script)

Either way, If only one of these features was to come back, at least make it the Unique Usernames. if you cant do serials, Usernames with info saved on the site, not the registry will be better than nothing.

Untill then i am debating on banning the serial 0000-0000-0000-0000 in all my servers, as IP bans are useless, and most cheaters have moved on to DP2.3 as it takes all of 15 seconds to avoid an IP ban by restarting the modem.

I am still yet to Downgrade to DP2.3 from DP2.1 as i would rather have my username and serial unique, so that servers like mine can save my stats properly.

It was highly recommended not to upgrade if it worked for that reason. That's why I'm still with trusty old DP2.1! :D

I don't know if it comes back for DP3 (but I hope so!) but I don't know how long it'll take for DP3 to come, but it can be a LONG time. =/

I remember reading somewhere that the serial/username system would come back in DP3.

IF DP3 is ever released. which is dobtfull, as everyone has gone to The other Mutiplayer mods. and MTA has just had Failure after failure, after issue in GTA SA.

rotatorsig.php

What... No WAY I'm going back to SA:MP... :S

I mean... SA:MP is just crap if you ask me... No GUI's, worst synching you can wish and it just generally sucked...

I mean... SA:MP is just crap if you ask me... No GUI's, worst synching you can wish and it just generally sucked...

But that brings me to another Downfall of MTA. Wrong Name.

think about this, whats any random who's never heard of MTA going to enter into google to find a Multiplayer mod for GTA SA?

Logic dictates that "San Andreas Multiplayer" would be the Keywords entered into google.

Which means New Randoms who have never heard of "Multi Theft Auto" would be a LOT less likley to enter "Multi Theft Auto" into google as they would enter "San Andreas Multiplayer"

So sadly, i would have to say, thats another big factor in why SAMP has more players. because it has a Better name.

Kind of like if i was to make an app, lets say, a Sticky Notes style app. it would be smarter to call it "Note Taker" Than say, "Note-a-sauraus"

rotatorsig.php

But that brings me to another Downfall of MTA. Wrong Name.

think about this, whats any random who's never heard of MTA going to enter into google to find a Multiplayer mod for GTA SA?

Logic dictates that "San Andreas Multiplayer" would be the Keywords entered into google.

Which means New Randoms who have never heard of "Multi Theft Auto" would be a LOT less likley to enter "Multi Theft Auto" into google as they would enter "San Andreas Multiplayer"

So sadly, i would have to say, thats another big factor in why SAMP has more players. because it has a Better name.

Kind of like if i was to make an app, lets say, a Sticky Notes style app. it would be smarter to call it "Note Taker" Than say, "Note-a-sauraus"

Yes... I guess you're right... But if MTA is going to stop, well then I'll stop with multiplayer mods on GTA:SA... I just can't imagine me on SA:MP anymore... =/

MTA might need to add more tags like San Andreas multiplayer? Hopefully it's possible to make MTA a lot more popular in some way... But how... =/

Hopefully it's possible to make MTA a lot more popular in some way... But how... =/

a contest. the craziest idea for advertising wins 1 year of beta tester status...

You know, I just LOOOVE that idea! Beta tester for DP3? Then I'll start working IMMEDIATELY! :D

Back when this was made on DP2.0 Everyone had a Unique username, locked into their PC's registry. So, Mvol, the creator of raceranks, Decided to use that username to store the ranks...

I don't see how that is a problem in 2.3. You can still force unique user names by using the account system.

...as we figured, that it would be a Unique name, the only person who could sign up with the name, and so on. so, this was a verry successfull system.

I honestly think nicknames should not be used as unique references in a data system. Such architecture is almost certain to fail in the long term.

...as IP bans are useless...

You can always ban the entire subnet.

I don't see how that is a problem in 2.3. You can still force unique user names by using the account system.

Well, because its a Race gamemode running on DM, we wanted it to be just like Classic race, so Lots of work has been done on the gamemode and the RaceRanks script.

In classic race, you didnt have to /register, so you dont in our server. Its saved in the MySQL database under the Players Unique username, you know, thwe one they signed up to mtabeta.com with.

But, since DP2.3 EVERYFUCKINGONE is named "DP2.3" Which means everyone using DP2.3 shares the same stats in the server, causing lots of server instability when it tries to load / save times by people with DP2.3

Also, other scripts like "PlayerNameChanger" no longer work properly. Which was designed o change their name from "Player" to their username on join, because most people are complete morons and ask "HOW I CHANGE NICK?" then dont understand when you tell them how to do it by the Menu -> settings, concidering its the only fucking thing to change on that page. or they respond with ??? when you tell then to /nick newname. So we had the server change it to their unique name, apun join, this also stopped a lot of newbies from not being able to connect due to "NICK IN USE"

Now, we have gone back to our older system, of just Kicking people by the Nick of "Player" AND "DP2.3" with the message "Change your name before rejoining" but it takes most of them like 8 rejoin attempts before they just give up, or get the hint.

And i quote:

[20:14] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:14] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:15] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:15] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:15] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:15] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:16] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:16] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:16] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:16] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:17] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:17] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:17] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:17] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

[20:18] [RACE]: * DP2.3 joined the server.

[20:18] [RACE]: * DP2.3 left the server. (Kicked)(Change your name before returning)

The Unique username is also what we were going to use for our RP project, to save everything from cash to stats, but yet again, same problem, and its called, DP2.3

rotatorsig.php

I still think it's a bad idea to use a nick name for authorization. Even more when are going to use a RDBMS to store data. But that's just my point of view. If you really want to go with the concept of tracking player statistics by user name try to use a unique hash key. You could generate a unique hash key and store this on the client. Whenever a client joins the server the client is asked to send the hash key (like a cookie). You can then verify if that user name is indeed the right player by checking the hash key against your database. You are basically creating your own serial system but it should fix your problems until they release DP3.

Edited by Guest

The way i see it, with the unique username, (Pre DP2.3) they have to Install the game With the username and Password, then its locked to that PC. and without the password, its pretty much impossible for another player to fuck with it. Unless they go thru the Registry security hole, which also needs to be looked at.

Like why go thru all the extra work of making people /login or setting coocies n stuff, when there is an eaisier and better system right there.

On player join, check Username. Simple. as the username is allready password protected at mtabeta.com

rotatorsig.php

• 4 weeks later...

There is no standard MTA DM function that allows you to ban subnets, just single IP's (unless the banIP accepts host masks). In order to ban a subnet you will have to capture the subnet you want to ban from the clients' IP and ban every IP within range of that subnet.

Another solution is to just add a rule to your system firewall configuration that denies incoming connections based on subnet.

The main reason why Serials were good is so if a cheater was banned by Serial for cheating. and they had a dynamic IP, the ban would still stay in effect due to the serial.

An absolutley BRILLIANT idea. and it needs to be braught back, sooner, rather than later. but i also recon the Reg keey needs to be encoded or somthing, so its no eaisially adjustable with regedit.

or even better, make it so its not stored in the registry, but online, so each time a player loads the game, it checks their serial to make sure its correct.

is there a way to create a file client side thats hidden, if there is a way to do that then cant there be a xml or something and each server gives a player a seperate serial like

<serials> 
<server1 serial="blah"/> 
<server2 serial="blah2"/> 
</serials> 

and then just each server when a player joins check to see if the server has given the player teh serial or not and have one big server database to reduce the risk of having 2 serials the same, kind of like your own mini serial system for your own server :)