attach element to element ? Sorted

im trying to make a ferry but when i put parts of ferry together with attach element to element the parts stack on top of each other

function ferry ( player, commandname ) 
   local bridge = createObject ( 9584, -754, 609, 5, 0, 0, 0 ) 
   local hull = createObject ( 9585, -752, 609, -4, 0, 0, 0 ) 
   local deck = createObject ( 9586, -827, 609, 14, 0, 0, 0.5 ) 
   attacheElementToElement ( bridge, deck, 73, 0, 0, 0, 0, -0.5 ) 
   attachElementToElement ( deck, hull, 75, 0, 18, 0, 0, 0.5 ) 
end 

addCommandHandler ( "ferry", ferry ) 

not sure how to get the offset coordinates right / also not sure how to upload screenshot

i also get an error on attach element to element line 5 attempt to call global attach element to element nil value

i have tried this with no offset coordinates but it does the same thing

any ideas appreciated :D

Edited by Guest

im trying to make a ferry but when i put parts of ferry together with attach element to element the parts stack on top of each other

function ferry ( player, commandname )   local bridge = createObject ( 9584, -754, 609, 5, 0, 0, 0 )   local hull = createObject ( 9585, -752, 609, -4, 0, 0, 0 )   local deck = createObject ( 9586, -827, 609, 14, 0, 0, 0.5 )   attacheElementToElement ( bridge, deck, 73, 0, 0, 0, 0, -0.5 )   attachElementToElement ( deck, hull, 75, 0, 18, 0, 0, 0.5 )end addCommandHandler ( "ferry", ferry )

not sure how to get the offset coordinates right / also not sure how to upload screenshot

i also get an error on attach element to element line 5 attempt to call global attach element to element nil value

i have tried this with no offset coordinates but it does the same thing

any ideas appreciated :D

Edited by Guest

You are attaching one element to the next. Instead you should try to glue all elements to one parent element, the hull for example. This makes it easier to calculate the required offset values. The offset values are relative to the element you are attaching to. Take a look at the carrier resource. There is a server side function that calculates the right offsets on the fly.

Also:

attacheElementToElement 

Should be:

attachElementToElement 

You are attaching one element to the next. Instead you should try to glue all elements to one parent element, the hull for example. This makes it easier to calculate the required offset values. The offset values are relative to the element you are attaching to. Take a look at the carrier resource. There is a server side function that calculates the right offsets on the fly.

Also:

attacheElementToElement 

Should be:

attachElementToElement 

Here's a simplified function that calculates the offset values relative to posX, posY, posZ and outputs pseudo Lua script code. The object configuration file is read from objects.xml (create this file in the root of your game mode folder). You can build a ferry boat in the race map editor and copy the object elements to the objects.xml file.

Example objects.xml

"hull" posX="2150.595703" posY="-1724.988647" posZ="6.562508" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="270.0000" model="10771" /> 
  "ldeck" posX="2150.602051" posY="-1662.088379" posZ="5.380146" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="270.0000" model="11145" /> 
  "hangar" posX="2151.157227" posY="-1716.000000" posZ="13.407950" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="269.9999" model="11146" /> 
  "bits" posX="2143.061523" posY="-1728.324463" posZ="39.771801" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="269.9999" model="11237" /> 

Don't forget to add this line to your meta.xml file:

"objects.xml" type="server" /> 

local objects = {} 

function outputOffsetDebug(posX, posY, posZ) 
  local rootNode = getResourceConfig(getThisResource(), "objects.xml") 
  local nextSibling = 0 
  local node = false 
  local gX, gY, gZ = 0, 0, 0 
  local oX, oY, oZ = 0, 0, 0 
  objects = {} 
  if (rootNode) then 
    node = xmlFindSubNode(rootNode, "object", nextSibling) 
    while (node) do 
      table.insert(objects, 
          { 
            ["name"] = xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "name"), 
            ["model"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "model") or 0), 
            ["posX"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posX") or 0), 
            ["posY"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posY") or 0), 
            ["posZ"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posZ") or 0), 
            ["rotX"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotX") or 0), 
            ["rotY"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotY") or 0), 
            ["rotZ"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotZ") or 0), 
            ["xPosOffset"] = 0, 
            ["yPosOffset"] = 0, 
            ["zPosOffset"] = 0 
          } 
        ) 
      nextSibling = nextSibling + 1 
    end 
  end 
  oX, oY, oZ = objects[1].posX, objects[1].posY, objects[1].posZ 
  for _, object in ipairs(objects) do 
    gX = math.abs(posX - oX) 
    gY = math.abs(posY - oY) 
    if (object.posX > posX) then 
      gX = object.posX - gX 
    else 
      gX = object.posX + gX 
    end 
    if (object.posY > posY) then 
      gY = object.posY - gY 
    else 
      gY = object.posY + gY 
    end 
    object.posX = gX 
    object.posY = gY 
  end 
    gX = math.abs(posX - object.posX) 
    gY = math.abs(posY - object.posY) 
    gZ = object.posZ 
    if (object.posX < posX) then 
      gX = -(gX) 
    end 
    if (object.posY < posY) then 
      gY = -(gY) 
    end 
    object.xPosOffset = gX 
    object.yPosOffset = gY 
    object.zPosOffset = gZ 
    outputDebugString("attachElementToElement(createObject(" .. object.model .. ", " .. object.posX .. ", " .. object.posY .. ", " .. object.posZ .. ", " .. object.rotX .. ", " .. object.rotY .. ", " .. object.rotZ .. "), [element theParent], " .. object.xPosOffset .. ", " .. object.yPosOffset .. ", " .. object.zPosOffset .. ", " .. object.rotX .. ", " .. object.rotY .. ", " .. object.rotZ .. ")") 
  end 
end 

Here's a simplified function that calculates the offset values relative to posX, posY, posZ and outputs pseudo Lua script code. The object configuration file is read from objects.xml (create this file in the root of your game mode folder). You can build a ferry boat in the race map editor and copy the object elements to the objects.xml file.

Example objects.xml

"hull" posX="2150.595703" posY="-1724.988647" posZ="6.562508" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="270.0000" model="10771" /> 
  "ldeck" posX="2150.602051" posY="-1662.088379" posZ="5.380146" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="270.0000" model="11145" /> 
  "hangar" posX="2151.157227" posY="-1716.000000" posZ="13.407950" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="269.9999" model="11146" /> 
  "bits" posX="2143.061523" posY="-1728.324463" posZ="39.771801" rotX="0.0000" rotY="0.0000" rotZ="269.9999" model="11237" /> 

Don't forget to add this line to your meta.xml file:

"objects.xml" type="server" /> 

local objects = {} 

function outputOffsetDebug(posX, posY, posZ) 
  local rootNode = getResourceConfig(getThisResource(), "objects.xml") 
  local nextSibling = 0 
  local node = false 
  local gX, gY, gZ = 0, 0, 0 
  local oX, oY, oZ = 0, 0, 0 
  objects = {} 
  if (rootNode) then 
    while (node) do 
      table.insert(objects, 
          { 
            ["name"] = xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "name"), 
            ["model"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "model") or 0), 
            ["posX"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posX") or 0), 
            ["posY"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posY") or 0), 
            ["posZ"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "posZ") or 0), 
            ["rotX"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotX") or 0), 
            ["rotY"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotY") or 0), 
            ["rotZ"] = tonumber(xmlNodeGetAttribute(node, "rotZ") or 0), 
            ["xPosOffset"] = 0, 
            ["yPosOffset"] = 0, 
            ["zPosOffset"] = 0 
          } 
        ) 
      nextSibling = nextSibling + 1 
    end 
  end 
  oX, oY, oZ = objects[1].posX, objects[1].posY, objects[1].posZ 
    gX = math.abs(posX - oX) 
    gY = math.abs(posY - oY) 
    if (object.posX > posX) then 
      gX = object.posX - gX 
    else 
      gX = object.posX + gX 
    end 
    if (object.posY > posY) then 
      gY = object.posY - gY 
    else 
      gY = object.posY + gY 
    end 
    object.posX = gX 
    object.posY = gY 
  end 
    gX = math.abs(posX - object.posX) 
    gY = math.abs(posY - object.posY) 
    gZ = object.posZ 
    if (object.posX < posX) then 
      gX = -(gX) 
    end 
    if (object.posY < posY) then 
      gY = -(gY) 
    end 
    object.xPosOffset = gX 
    object.yPosOffset = gY 
    object.zPosOffset = gZ 
    outputDebugString("attachElementToElement(createObject(" .. object.model .. ", " .. object.posX .. ", " .. object.posY .. ", " .. object.posZ .. ", " .. object.rotX .. ", " .. object.rotY .. ", " .. object.rotZ .. "), [element theParent], " .. object.xPosOffset .. ", " .. object.yPosOffset .. ", " .. object.zPosOffset .. ", " .. object.rotX .. ", " .. object.rotY .. ", " .. object.rotZ .. ")") 
  end 
end 

right ive built my ferry and all pieces are attached properly but is there any way to attach players/vehicles to it when they land on it and allow them to jump off/ takeoff when they want

at the moment if u stand on the deck or land plane / chopper on deck they slide off when ferry moves even if i move it slow

i have downloaded the GLUE script form MTA resources but i need a way of turning it on and off without player having to type command or press key

i was thinking of using collision shapes at each port that ferry stops to activate / deactivate the GLUE script but that means u will have to wait until ferry stops before u can get off

if i use collision shape to stick and unstick players / vehicles at each port would it mess everything up if i leave the keybind for GLUE script switched on so u can leave / board ferry when u want or u can wait for it to stop and it will GLUE u by itself

like if u fly to the ferry while its moving land and then press key to GLUE yourself and then wait till it gets to port and will then unstick u

or

u get on ferry while its stopped and it GLUEs u to the deck before moving off then someone flys past and u want to chase them so u just press key to unglue yourself without having to wait for ferry to stop

hope that makes sense :lol:

i was thinking of using a collision shape that calls this check function to get the PLAYER / VEHICLE to be glued

function samSite ( element, matchingDimension ) 
   if ( getElementType ( element ) == "player" ) then 
    veh = getPlayerOccupiedVehicle ( element )     
    id = getVehicleID ( veh ) 
               if ( id == 592 or id == 577 or id == 511 or id == 548 or id == 512 or id == 593 or id == 417 or id == 487 or id == 553 or id == 488 or id == 497 or id == 563 or id == 476 or id == 447 or id == 519 or id == 460 or id == 469 or id == 513 or id == 464 or id == 501 or id == 465 ) then 
                triggerClientEvent ( element, "onSamTrigger", getRootElement() ) 
                outputChatBox ( "Surface to air missiles have been fired!", element, 255, 0, 0 ) 
               end 
    end   

end 

i know ill have to edit it a bit ( take ID check out so it just looks for vehicle/ player / jetpack )

and then i will trigger the GLUE script for whoever / whatever is in collision area

i want to be able to just spawn a few vehicles on top of it to give an idea what its for which is the main reason for switching GLUE on and off without any commands

EDIT ::

glue doesnt seem to work on the ferry u still just slide off. i think its only meant for vehicles looking at the scripts for it