mabako's map editor

mabako

Work of two days, I might improve it later if I see a lot of people use it...

It's pretty easy, since it's only 4 keys and some mouse buttons.

To get an object, simply press F2 and click at some place at the screen, the model-menu will pop up, select a model and double-click.

Features:

• complete ingame editing using 1+ key on your keyboard, the mouse buttons + the scrollwheel
  • loading of objects and vehicles from all (not running) resources
  • creating, teleporting, rotating, model-changing of entities
  • GUI-based selection menus, object/vehicle-selection, information about current object etc.
  • time is always around 12:00 to 13:00
  • you can't take any damage
  • every entity is processed client-side and regulary updated to the server, so everyone should have the same map

Please make sure you read the included 'README'.

Thanks to arc_ for providing his freeroam GUI-script, of which the 'gui.lua' and 'utils.lua' have been used (and partially extended). I'm not aware of anyone's other work used here.

The objects.xml contains all elements with IDs and IDE names, based on the categories chosen in MTA:Race (which I converted myself)

Never forget to make backups, It's not my fault if you ruin your maps.

Some screenshots:

243.png

Viewing an object in editor mode

244.png

Changing model (or if none selected, create one)

community.multitheftauto.com download

245.png

Loading/Saving the map

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work of two days, I might improve it later if I see a lot of people use it...

It's pretty easy, since it's only 4 keys and some mouse buttons.

To get an object, simply press F2 and click at some place at the screen, the model-menu will pop up, select a model and double-click.

Features:

• complete ingame editing using 1+ key on your keyboard, the mouse buttons + the scrollwheel
  • loading of objects and vehicles from all (not running) resources
  • creating, teleporting, rotating, model-changing of entities
  • GUI-based selection menus, object/vehicle-selection, information about current object etc.
  • time is always around 12:00 to 13:00
  • you can't take any damage
  • every entity is processed client-side and regulary updated to the server, so everyone should have the same map

Please make sure you read the included 'README'.

Thanks to arc_ for providing his freeroam GUI-script, of which the 'gui.lua' and 'utils.lua' have been used (and partially extended). I'm not aware of anyone's other work used here.

The objects.xml contains all elements with IDs and IDE names, based on the categories chosen in MTA:Race (which I converted myself)

Never forget to make backups, It's not my fault if you ruin your maps.

Some screenshots:

243.png

Viewing an object in editor mode

244.png

Changing model (or if none selected, create one)

community.multitheftauto.com download

245.png

Loading/Saving the map

Edited by Guest

It looks nice. It looks like that in my map editor it's easier to move around because it has moving camera. But my editor has very big disadvantage - I didn't make objects groups, so you have to cycle through objects and search for one. And in my editor when you want to load a map, you have to write its name and you can't choose directory. I think your map editor is much better :)

It looks nice. It looks like that in my map editor it's easier to move around because it has moving camera. But my editor has very big disadvantage - I didn't make objects groups, so you have to cycle through objects and search for one. And in my editor when you want to load a map, you have to write its name and you can't choose directory. I think your map editor is much better :)

hope i dont sound to stupid but i cant seem to get it working properly

i put the MEDIT entry in the ACL.XML

if i start MEDIT on its own i just get black screen with mapeditor logo at bottom

i then tried to load a map ( press f2 then . ) but screen stays black

if i load another resource ( just freeroam ) the objects list doesnt work

i know i must be doin something wrong just not sure what

any help really appreciated

screenshots look awesome :D

EDIT : sorry it was just me being dumb :oops:

Amazing script THANX LOADS MABAKO :D

Edited by Guest

if i start MEDIT on its own i just get black screen with mapeditor logo at bottom

Edited by Guest
  • 4 weeks later...

and how did you fixed it? :shock:

Why dont the list work it only says objects & vehicles

Any Help :?

still cant remember what i did last time but if you start BROPH resource and then start MEDIT join the game then login and restart MEDIT it seems to work fine then

<group name="MapEditor"> 
  <acl name="MapEditor" />  
  <object name="resource.medit" />  
  <object name="resource.editor_main" />  
  <object name="resource.edf" />  
  </group> 

also check to see if u have this in ACL.XML file in MTA SERVER install directory\mods\deathmatch

hope that helps :D

not sure about not saving ( just gave it a quick try but wont save on mine either )

i cant remember if i ever used it properly before

so long as u have the entry in ACL.XML it should save but u probaly need to ask mabako

i have been using other map editors myself. i dont think i ever got past this problem now that im looking at it again

SORRY bout that :?

i will keep trying though as it is a brilliant bit of scripting. hope to post result for u soon :D

EDIT :: just cant seem to get it to save

tried with a few different resources running and saving in 3 different maps but no joy. pretty sure this is why i gave up last time

but if anyone has an answer it would be great as this is the best map editor ive seen so far. :roll:

ran into the problem with the menu straight away

only way i found past that was to restart MEDIT form within the game

login as admin and type restart medit in console and seemed to work then but still couldnt save anything

the way im running it is to start BROPH resource then start MEDIT join the game and restart MEDIT but like i said still no save ability even though it says it has saved the file :?

saying that about save maps im not sure exactly where they end up. have an idea am trying it now hopefully wont be long :D

EDIT :: seems to be workin now :D

to find the map u have saved go into install directory for MTA SERVER \mods\deathmatch\ whatever resource u saved the map to and it should be there

only problem i noticed was u cant save to the resource your running at the time

there is a list on left side of window telling you what resources u have and which are running so as long as u save to one that isnt running and has a map file in it you should be fine

from the top what i did is start MEDIT then start your game resource ( i use BROPH as its just a freeroam ) then restart MEDIT from the game console ( F8 ) and that should get the menus workin. put what u want in place ( i used a few bikes right next to spawnpoint for a quick tester as you can easily identify if the right things are in place )

then press "." on the NUMPAD select the resource u want to save the items into select the map it finds in the resource and then save. it took me a while to realise the reason it wouldnt save was that i was using BROPH resource and trying to save to it as well. hope that makes some sort of sense but if not i will try to explain a bit better if u need :D

EDIT 2 :: one more little thing is that there is a resource called AIRBRAKE that gives you NO-CLIP so u can fly around easier.

i havent tested it with MABAKO MAP EDITOR yet but will let you know soon :D

This is best map editor ive EVER used.. but 1 thing i cant move it up or down. because i own a laptop... and i dont have a mouse for it..

so, can I change the "mousewheel click" to like some letter? if i can please tell me how :o

can I change the "mousewheel click" to like some letter? if i can please tell me how

if u look in MEDIT resource find file called MEDIT_CLIENT.LUA open it up and look for this

bindKey( 'f2', 'down', toggleEditing ) 
    bindKey( 'd', 'down', sendDestroyInfoToServer ) 
    bindKey( 'mouse_wheel_up', 'down', rotateElement )   ::: you need to change this 
    bindKey( 'mouse_wheel_down', 'down', rotateElement )  ::: and this to keys you want to use 
    bindKey( 'f3', 'down', function() 

i think that should do it :D

sorry now that i look again this hasnt got the key you need but i cant seem to find it in the resource. i will keep looking but if u want to try yourself you just need to find the BINDKEY for mouse_wheel_click i think

ok, thanks =P

EDIT it might be this one?

elseif button == 'middle' then 
        if _editing_mode ~= MODE_NONE then 
            _scroll_mode = ( _scroll_mode % 6 ) + 1 
            updateScrollEditingLabel( _scroll_mode ) 
            return true 

so i would change 'middle' to (Example): 'end'?

EDIT it might be this one?

Line number On/Off | Expand/Contract | Select all

1. elseif button == 'middle' then

2. if _editing_mode ~= MODE_NONE then

3. _scroll_mode = ( _scroll_mode % 6 ) + 1

4. updateScrollEditingLabel( _scroll_mode )

5. return true

so i would change 'middle' to (Example): 'end'?

yes i think that should do it :D

Does this work with FREEROAM? for me it doesnt. i spawn few objects then when i try to spawn comes red text saying something: user data 000000 thingy...dont remember what excactly. And there is some error message at that server runner... something about freeroam and (a nil value).. could anyone help?