GTA IV leaked

Bishop

Well I've seen two cases were betas, alphas, and even official demos have deterred people from purchasing a game. I seen this with Half Life 2 and with UT3. People would judge the game before it even had an official final retail release, and say its "Crap". On the contrary, every time someone has seen a leaked video, or played a leaked version of GTA4 I always hear "fucking epic". This might be different than other cases though, as I am hearing that the leaked versions are the "final" versions. Either way, Rockstar shouldn't have to worry too much, because this time around it might be helping them. I doubt there will be any lost high hopes because Rockstar North has a tendency of releasing pleasing games, for even the most stubborn nub. Wanna catch a nice quiet slice? Check youtube.com, or justin.tv and search and you might find a video. Usually youtube won't have it (usually fake crap). If you search justin.tv you'll find LIVE STREAMS of people playing leaked versions. I found two, both of which are gone now because people have to sleep sometimes. But I have a feeling there will be more.

• 2 weeks later...

GTA 3 PC version sold over 400,000 copies. Vice on PC sold 300,000 and San Andreas 250,000. Last I checked GTA IV sold 926,000 copies - so far

Meaning GTA IV sold around the same number of copies on consoles as the entire PC sale for the last 3 versions of GTA.

Of course the question is if piracy is really the cause.

GTA 3 PC version sold over 400,000 copies. Vice on PC sold 300,000 and San Andreas 250,000. Last I checked GTA IV sold 926,000 copies - so far

Meaning GTA IV sold around the same number of copies on consoles as the entire PC sale for the last 3 versions of GTA.

gaming on PC is slowly dying and I'm sure one of the main factors is piracy, that's why we see less and less PC exclusives and so many console games

On consoles is piracy to...

gaming on PC is slowly dying and I'm sure one of the main factors is piracy, that's why we see less and less PC exclusives and so many console games

On consoles is piracy to...

No one is denying consoles generate more money. And it is certainly true there is massive piracy in play online.

However, you cannot argue people would have bought it if they could not pirate it. I'd argue the opposite and in some cases it even becomes productive - people can explore foreign or classic culture, they wouldn't have had access to otherwise. For that reason, I consider the Internet a huge, collective and cultural archive. My teacher wanted to show us a movie in history class about nazism, called "Der ewige jude", but she couldn't get it anywhere. Well guess where you could find it.

Also, there are no means of measuring the amount of piracy. Therefore, no company or industry can ever claim they would have sold whatever amount if there was no piracy.

Instead the game developers should turn their eyes inward, because when I look at the PC industry 2 things crack me up.

Firstly, I'd have to say that games haven't changed the past 10 years. On top of that a lot of "quality products", from huge companies such as EA, are flawed, buggy and completely lack innovation, style, gameplay and atmosphere. Let me give an example of that. I played an old version of NFS on playstation 1 back in like 2001. Back then, you had custom licence plates and the "arrows" gave you control of the signal lights of the car. And guess what, there was car damage. Now, the first good racing game I remember having that was Sega Rally 1995.. 1995. We waited 10 years for Gran turismo to get car damage, NFS version today do not even have it, are you fucking kidding me. I will give you another example. Metal Gear Solid was developed in 2D, the so-called top-down-view, since 1986. Ask yourself when 3D games was introduced.

Second, keeping that in mind, know that the gaming industry has overtaken both the music and movie industry in regards to income. This paradox is one sad, pathetic, disastrous, pitiful, fatal-tragic joke. But what I mean to say is, it is not like game developers are going out of business here, even though some deserve to.

No one is denying consoles generate more money. And it is certainly true there is massive piracy in play online.

However, you cannot argue people would have bought it if they could not pirate it. I'd argue the opposite and in some cases it even becomes productive - people can explore foreign or classic culture, they wouldn't have had access to otherwise. For that reason, I consider the Internet a huge, collective and cultural archive. My teacher wanted to show us a movie in history class about nazism, called "Der ewige jude", but she couldn't get it anywhere. Well guess where you could find it.

Also, there are no means of measuring the amount of piracy. Therefore, no company or industry can ever claim they would have sold whatever amount if there was no piracy.

Instead the game developers should turn their eyes inward, because when I look at the PC industry 2 things crack me up.

Firstly, I'd have to say that games haven't changed the past 10 years. On top of that a lot of "quality products", from huge companies such as EA, are flawed, buggy and completely lack innovation, style, gameplay and atmosphere. Let me give an example of that. I played an old version of NFS on playstation 1 back in like 2001. Back then, you had custom licence plates and the "arrows" gave you control of the signal lights of the car. And guess what, there was car damage. Now, the first good racing game I remember having that was Sega Rally 1995.. 1995. We waited 10 years for Gran turismo to get car damage, NFS version today do not even have it, are you fucking kidding me. I will give you another example. Metal Gear Solid was developed in 2D, the so-called top-down-view, since 1986. Ask yourself when 3D games was introduced.

Second, keeping that in mind, know that the gaming industry has overtaken both the music and movie industry in regards to income. This paradox is one sad, pathetic, disastrous, pitiful, fatal-tragic joke. But what I mean to say is, it is not like game developers are going out of business here, even though some deserve to.