People are not taking advantage of MTA

Do you agree?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree?

• Yes
    • No

Looking around and playing on some of the servers, i get the feeling that there isn't really one server that fully uses the awesome potential of MTA:DM at the moment.

Most servers just run the same boring freeroam scripts. With a bit of hard work, some truely awesome scripts and servers could be created, the developers have provided a platform that gives huge creative freedom to server owners, however most owners just run similar, empty servers.

Do you guys agree?

I agree too. MTA is the best multiplayer, but many servers don't have their own scripts.

And the servers who do host original game modes usually keep the script source to themselves.

And this is good because that makes those servers unique because those scripts would replace freeroam in many servers...

Totally agree, and I also think the community is way to small right now :(

More people = more scripts = more fun so tell all your friends about MTA and get them to join the community! And I don't blame some of the servers who keep their great script from the public, it's a way of getting people to play on there server, since it's unique ;)

If more people start coding unique gamemodes then a wide range of gamemodes will be available to suit to the wants, desires and style of people. SA:MP has a relatively large and sustained player base because there is a wide range of servers to appeal to most people. If you want to play cops and robbers - bang, you've got a selection of servers to choose from. Want to roleplay? Once again a wide variety to choose from. Deathmatch? No problem, just pop into one of the many servers there.

I think what MTA:SA:DM is lacking, is the lack of choice. I mean, the Blue platform itself is an open canvas. What some scripters are doing is drawing a black circle and calling it art. Only a small selection of the community will appreciate it and treat it as a work of art. Come on people, let's make a museum!

the problem is that people like freeroam. theres nothing we can do beside working on cool gamemodes and maps... maybe they wont get noticed at all but theres nothing else we can do.

and rpg servers are not more than freaaroam servers with rules. real RPG servers would be locked and would offer the membership to a few people only.

tell everyone about mta... more people means more freeroamers AND people who are interested in other gamemodes and competition.

People will take more advantage of MTA when it's finally released. Features are still being added, and the DM map editor hasn't even been released yet. You can't expect a painted canvas without the paint.

Edited by Guest

the possibility to create maps is available but the community is busy with playing freeroam. i spottec creating new maps because its too much work for a only a few people. at the moment there are no gamemodes beside freeroam which is filled up with lots of people.

once the mapeditor is released it could change something... it will basically customize the freeroam lol...

once the mapeditor is released it could change something... it will basically customize the freeroam lol...

Yea, i would like to see a server where any player can use the mapeditor, in a sandbox style, much like GMOD.

There could also be some creative use of object placement scripts, for example a gamemode where you have a certain number of objects for each player to build a bridge, with two teams competing to build it first.

Yea, i would like to see a server where any player can use the mapeditor, in a sandbox style, much like GMOD.

There could also be some creative use of object placement scripts, for example a gamemode where you have a certain number of objects for each player to build a bridge, with two teams competing to build it first.

That would be awesome! :D

I can just imagine being able to build things on the fly. It would add so many possibilities. ex: players could technically double jump by making a platform appear right under their feet at the top of their jump 8)

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. One of the things I worried about before we released DP1 was that we lacked game-modes that really demonstrated what MTA could do. As others have said, MTA can do pretty much anything, but people insist on playing freeroam! Of course, we can accept that people enjoy freeroam, but a large number of people (me included) do not. Unfortunately this is a vicious circle of sorts - players try MTA, find that it's pointless freeroam, dislike it and forget about it. What we'd like them to do is to come along and script what they would want to play, but of course the barriers to entry for scripting are much higher than just playing.

So, if you can script - consider making an interesting mode. Don't worry about perfecting it, but pick something different and try to get some aspects of it working and show it off. Get together with others and work on something together. We wanted to develop a C&C style mode internally but we didn't have the time - I'd personally love to see that.

Equally, if you're a server admin who is running a script, please make it public. It damages MTA to have every server running it's own gamemode and if people stop playing MTA, we'll stop making it.

I agree with the sentiment expressed here. One of the things I worried about before we released DP1 was that we lacked game-modes that really demonstrated what MTA could do. As others have said, MTA can do pretty much anything, but people insist on playing freeroam! Of course, we can accept that people enjoy freeroam, but a large number of people (me included) do not. Unfortunately this is a vicious circle of sorts - players try MTA, find that it's pointless freeroam, dislike it and forget about it. What we'd like them to do is to come along and script what they would want to play, but of course the barriers to entry for scripting are much higher than just playing.

So, if you can script - consider making an interesting mode. Don't worry about perfecting it, but pick something different and try to get some aspects of it working and show it off. Get together with others and work on something together. We wanted to develop a C&C style mode internally but we didn't have the time - I'd personally love to see that.

Equally, if you're a server admin who is running a script, please make it public. It damages MTA to have every server running it's own gamemode and if people stop playing MTA, we'll stop making it.

find that it's pointless freeroam, dislike it and forget about it.

Yeah, a lot of people enjoy freeroam, and then a lot of people see MTA as a pointless game because of freeroam (usually the newcomers that know nothing about how it works). I'm surprised there aren't many servers running the release game-modes like stealth anymore (at least I don't see them around :?). But the longer MTA has been out, the more variety it'll have, as long as there are people who want to play, and more importantly, want to create :)

if people stop playing MTA, we'll stop making it

That's a scary thought, it has so much potential, it just needs more people :(

I seriously recommend advertising MTA now even though it's still a preview. It already has lots of features and feels very polished imo. I think that if the team doesn't mind, MTA should be made available at many different places like download.com, sourceforge, etc... because many people don't even know a multiplayer mod for GTA even exists, so the more places it's made available, the more possible it is for people to stumble upon it :)

Unfortunately this is a vicious circle of sorts - players try MTA, find that it's pointless freeroam, dislike it and forget about it

Yes, I really have to agree here, I've been saying this for month. But the freeroam owners have to understand this problem, it's not as simple as saying "I'm playing freeroam, let me do that how is it a problem to you ?". It really is a major problem to everyone.

The problem is that I don't think you need dp3 for this, you could already start using mta in a better way now, but till now I haven't seen it.

As much as I love mta, I think you should stop developping it. I don't see how this logic could change seeing what your beloved community has done till now. You've overestimated the people using your software.

At least publish dp3, and see what happens, but unfortunately I don't have high hope about that.

The sadest thing here is that you really did a damn good job but it doesn't get "rewarded" so to say.

^wait a minute, I'm developing a non-freeroam gamemode, so do a lot other people. the reason there aren't many flavors of server out there is because a lot of us are still learning lua, and just started learning lua after seeing the power of dp2. for me, I didn't even start until I saw the anouncement for dp3 which says thing about ped support. I'm pretty sure by the time dp3 comes out several different gamemodes will be ready.

here is a quick preview of the future:

Changelog is back again!!!11111

Fri - "Show pointless gamemodes"-filter is now set to off on default

Fri - Fixed auto kick Sanzor "onPlayerJoin" function

Thu - Cake is a lie

Thu - Fixed an issue which caused the server to crash

Thu - Some changes on the credits

Wed - Added bluescreen feature

I agree too. MTA is the best multiplayer, but many servers don't have their own scripts.
And the servers who do host original game modes usually keep the script source to themselves.

And this is good because that makes those servers unique because those scripts would replace freeroam in many servers...

I can't entirely agree with you on that. I believe in the principle of "sharing is caring" :wink: . People could really learn from other scripts and it also speeds up the scripting of new game modes by the community. And servers can still remain unique even after sharing their game mode.

I can't entirely agree with you on that. I believe in the principle of "sharing is caring" :wink: . People could really learn from other scripts and it also speeds up the scripting of new game modes by the community. And servers can still remain unique even after sharing their game mode.

It is true that it helps the community, but you also have to look at it from the standpoint of a server who has poured hundreds of man hours into scripting new features, fixing bugs, doing final touches, etc. Seeing as I've already made previous reference to gamemodes being "works of art", I figure I'll work on the same point. Let's say some artist paints the Mona Lisa. He has it for display in the Louvre and it's a very popular attraction, earning him quite a name and popularity to go along with it. This isn't any old painting, it's been created in such a way that is secret and unique. One day he's pressured into revealing his secrets and before you know it, there are hundreds of "Mona Lisa's" that are created in much the same style, some with a few more or less things, others left unchanged from the original. Soon, people stop appreciating the original as much as they would've, and it soon becomes brushed into the lonely corners of the Louvre.

Using a more practical example is the PEN1:LS gamemode, that was released on SA:MP. At the time, it was a work of art. Prior to release, it was run on a private server, which was relatively successful. Now you look, and you see servers like GF:RP (no longer), Valhalla, Everlast and LS:RP; which have all had their scripts based off PEN1:LS. The original artist - or scripter, in this case - isn't respected as much as they were origionally, but it is true that the community was able to develop and learn from the example of the script.

The way I see it is, if you're making a gamemode for a private server, after the server has matured and the player base is all but lost, release the gamemode and allow others to thrive. What is one man's trash is another man's treasure, as the saying goes.

people don't like to respect the origin of the script, that's the problem. why do you want to script a server besides you enjoy scripting and want a game of your own? You want recognition and the feel of success. you want to hear people say they love your server. If I had my own script, I'd release after I have heard enough praise.