Unsure...Unsure :(

Hi all,

I have long admired the mightiness of MTA DM, and today from the main page I learned that the ped support is going to be attempted by the devs, which sounds really promising.

Also I have long wanted to join the scripting talents of MTA DM. Besides school work and stuff, another reason I haven't started is I can't tell how MTADM is going to become... One thing is the problem with low number of players, I can't believe that 2 month after preview 2 being released the number of players still remains the same - around 50 or so in all servers at one time. In addition, due to the fact it's called "MTA DM", it seems like the game was never intended for RP style playing. Though I'm don't prefer RP that much, but I like to script both shooting and roleplaying in the same game.

So I'm not sure whether I should start learning lua and make my dream game here, or stick with SAMP and its still-large player base. The features in MTADM surely will make my game much better, though whether there are people play it is an important consideration. I would like some suggestions from you guys about what I should do... Learning a new language (I'm a C person) is a big time investment for me since I'm a grad student. Thank you!

Kurt

MTA has more features than SA-MP, and does not have a number of large bugs that MTA has, however SA-MP has a much larger playerbase, about 10x larger, and the server's can cope with more players at one time, so it depends what you prefer, more features and more stability, or more palyers.

well I'm not looking for a lot of people to play at one time, because it's a hassel to manage them and the chat gets flooded. but with all those mta servers out there, there are way too few players to compete for at the moment. in other words, what I worry about is not having a lot of players, but having no player at all

MTA has less players because it's a Developer Preview Alpha version, some people say they wanna wait for the full release.

If MTA goes beta/full release, then we'll see who has more players, because the scripters will have experience with LUA as well and I'm sure we can expect better and more advanced features on servers.

yea I'm aware of that too. I'm starting to learn lua scripting. oh, another problem I have (personally) is that the fonts in MTA makes my eyes hurt... I can't tell why, maybe they are not clear enough - in other words, the text's color and the background color are usually too close. I know I can make my own text color but this is a reason i can't play on other servers. in samp they have larger font and SHADOW to make it clear and comfortable to read. I tried to use shadowed font in MTA, which works, but it slows down my frame rate big time - while I have a radeon 1950XTX, you know, way beyond sufficient for running GTA.

It can be a concern that the numbers of players are quite limited and it can be irritating if you want to export your creations to a large amount of people but just by having the knowledge in general will benefit you within the future whether it is experimenting with MTA or something completely different.

We have no idea what the future of MTA is going to be, which is most interesting.

Just thought I’d throw in a couple of words.