F9 Menu Help file no worka

DazzaJay

nah, all good, the &'s were only in it because i copied all the text from the website.

however, ive looked thru the helpmanager script a few times, and i cant see anything that even remoteley looks like a Character limit.. so how i would get it to read xml files with more than 1000 characters is beyond me.

I believe that is a hard coded limit for our GUI engine, memo fields can't hold more than 1000 characters. You can split it over multiple pages if you code your own GUI for it.

Then I'm confused ...

I've tried making a readme from an xml file and as you say, I had to split it across multiple pages. BUT if I do something like :

local helpTab   = call(getResourceFromName("helpmanager"), "addHelpTab", getThisResource(), true) 
            local mainText  = guiCreateMemo ( 0.05, 0.05, 0.9, 0.9,"BIG ASS TEXT STRING",true, helpTab) 

I can use any length I like i.e. for my help text I use the above and a literal string defined in the client. My current help doc is 9300 characters long. Does this suggest there's a bug in the XML reader rather than a hard-coded memo character limit ?

the memo character limit is 65535
I believe that is a hard coded limit for our GUI engine, memo fields can't hold more than 1000 characters. You can split it over multiple pages if you code your own GUI for it.

It is an issue I suppose that the help manager can't display much help on the larger scripts all in one sitting with F9 tab.

People are splitting help pages (I am) but it'd be nice to not have to. The help manager can go past the ~1000 char limit using hard-coded strings, so I think there's a bug somewhere to be fixed that would then mean we don't have to split documents up. It'd be handy that's all.

This seems to be an xml issue, there appears to be a limit to how many characters can be returned in xmlNodeGetValue. Consider the following "xml_test" code:

client script:

function PrintSubstring(command,setting) 
    local test_string = "Although often referred to as a modification, Multi Theft Auto is based on the trainer and code injection methods of manipulating the game through its own memory, and does not alter any original files supplied with the game itself.Multi Theft Auto was once ranked as one of CSports.net's top online games, with statistics showing peaks of roughly one thousand players playing different versions of the mod on-line simultaneously.The project has also been the subject in multiple articles in different media.[1] The most prominent being a coverage on G4TV[2] and an exclusive release for Fileplanet with coverage on its frontpage.[3]MTA: San Andreas. The newest release of MTA is for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and is built upon a new core codenamed Blue which has been in development for two and a half years. This represents a major shift in the team's focus because they will be providing users with all the tools they need to create their own game modes and leaving much of the game mode creation to third parties.According to their official wiki entry, MTA:SA was unveiled on 1 June 2005. On 22 January 2006 the first playable content (Race Mod) was released. This mod featured vehicle racing and a map editor that allows users to create custom environments and races. On 15 March 2006 the first patch for race (1.1) was released. Some major issues were in the patch, causing the second and final patch (1.1.1) to be released 3 days later on 18 March 2006.After race patch, the production of Death Match began. The developing time has continued from 18 March 2006 to present day. Many attribute the delay to a lack of focus by the development team. Many new features were constantly being introduced, but the continuous introduction of new features delayed a stable, releasable version. This was acknowledged by the team itself as a factor preventing release of the modification.Weekly scripting tutorials were announced on 14 January 2007 to show examples of how to create Multi Theft Auto scripts with Lua. These weekly scripts were created and displayed by the Quality Assurance team. They included a script and a video to show the script in use. The QA team could not meet the weekly demand and the tutorials ceased to exist over time. The tutorials were abandoned so the QA team could spend more time preparing the Death Match release.Over 2007 there have been various blog posts, including videos. However, the blog posts have become less frequent over time, leading many to believe that the progress of Death Match was slow or had ceased. Due to this mounting pressure, on 14 August 2007, the MTA team created a changelog monitor. It illustrated any notable updates to the progress of the modification.Multi Theft Auto San Andreas: Deathmatch 1.0dp1 (Developer Preview 1) was released on 2nd of January 2008. It's fully playable, although it has some minor bugs.Multi Theft Auto San Andreas: Deathmatch 1.0dp2 (Developer Preview 2) was released on 9th of January 2008, merely 7 days after the initial release.It was noted in a news post on the 4th February 2008 on the main site that due to server movement, the entire system was to be brought down, including serial generation. This caused any new players attempting to install the game to obtain errors when attempting to generate a serial code, thus preventing them from playing on servers. On the 8th February, after 4 days of being down, the server move was complete." 

if setting then  
        local substring = "" 
        if setting=="xml" then 
            local node = getResourceConfig(getResourceFromName("xml_test"),"help.xml") 
            substring = string.sub(xmlNodeGetValue(node),-50) 
        elseif setting=="string" then 
            substring = string.sub(test_string,-50) 
        end 
        outputChatBox(substring) 
    end 
end 
addCommandHandler("xmltest",PrintSubstring) 

help file:

<help> 
Although often referred to as a modification, Multi Theft Auto is based on the trainer and code injection methods of manipulating the game through its own memory, and does not alter any original files supplied with the game itself.Multi Theft Auto was once ranked as one of CSports.net's top online games, with statistics showing peaks of roughly one thousand players playing different versions of the mod on-line simultaneously.The project has also been the subject in multiple articles in different media.[1] The most prominent being a coverage on G4TV[2] and an exclusive release for Fileplanet with coverage on its frontpage.[3]MTA: San Andreas. The newest release of MTA is for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and is built upon a new core codenamed Blue which has been in development for two and a half years. This represents a major shift in the team's focus because they will be providing users with all the tools they need to create their own game modes and leaving much of the game mode creation to third parties.According to their official wiki entry, MTA:SA was unveiled on 1 June 2005. On 22 January 2006 the first playable content (Race Mod) was released. This mod featured vehicle racing and a map editor that allows users to create custom environments and races. On 15 March 2006 the first patch for race (1.1) was released. Some major issues were in the patch, causing the second and final patch (1.1.1) to be released 3 days later on 18 March 2006.After race patch, the production of Death Match began. The developing time has continued from 18 March 2006 to present day. Many attribute the delay to a lack of focus by the development team. Many new features were constantly being introduced, but the continuous introduction of new features delayed a stable, releasable version. This was acknowledged by the team itself as a factor preventing release of the modification.Weekly scripting tutorials were announced on 14 January 2007 to show examples of how to create Multi Theft Auto scripts with Lua. These weekly scripts were created and displayed by the Quality Assurance team. They included a script and a video to show the script in use. The QA team could not meet the weekly demand and the tutorials ceased to exist over time. The tutorials were abandoned so the QA team could spend more time preparing the Death Match release.Over 2007 there have been various blog posts, including videos. However, the blog posts have become less frequent over time, leading many to believe that the progress of Death Match was slow or had ceased. Due to this mounting pressure, on 14 August 2007, the MTA team created a changelog monitor. It illustrated any notable updates to the progress of the modification.Multi Theft Auto San Andreas: Deathmatch 1.0dp1 (Developer Preview 1) was released on 2nd of January 2008. It's fully playable, although it has some minor bugs.Multi Theft Auto San Andreas: Deathmatch 1.0dp2 (Developer Preview 2) was released on 9th of January 2008, merely 7 days after the initial release.It was noted in a news post on the 4th February 2008 on the main site that due to server movement, the entire system was to be brought down, including serial generation. This caused any new players attempting to install the game to obtain errors when attempting to generate a serial code, thus preventing them from playing on servers. On the 8th February, after 4 days of being down, the server move was complete. 
</help> 

Typing "/xmltest string" will output " days of being down, the server move was complete." - the final 50 characters of the string

Typing "/xmltest xml" however will output "ch of the game mode creation to third parties.Acco" which is roughly a third of the way through the string