• MTA Team

As some of you may remember (I doubt it to be honest) Multi Theft Auto started 5 years ago. On February 9th 2003 IJsVogel released his little piece of software into the world and a day later it got picked up on some smaller forums. Since that time a lot has changed, the game evolved, the team evolved, our community evolved and our mod, well ... you can compare dp2 to am01a if you'd like but I know what I would prefer.

We dug up the original web page (unfortunatly the original hosting went down a couple of months ago) for all those newbies here to see where we started. Those of you who understand Dutch can also have a look at the original forum thread on GoT.

If you want to see our history, have a look at our old wiki or visit the apps, media, and web archive.

And now, tell me. What was your favorite (personal) moment in the past 5 years?

wow time flies doesn't it? ;)

I recall the moment when I first tried MTA, we linked a couple of computers together (my neighbour and I), we had no idea what to do at first, we wasted a few hours figuring out how to set up and join the server then I remember there was some sort of a trick that each player had to do when the game started, it involved jacking a car leaving it and getting another one. I was so excited when I saw the other car move, it was the first time it wasn't controlled by some virtual AI! it crashed the next minute but we didn't care.. hmm those moments, priceless.. :D

LONG LIVE MTA!

5 years is one heck of an achievement for a project like this.

Best highlight for me was starting the mod for the first time and I’ve never look back since. I spawned as a sailor alongside a mate of mine, we were on the phone for about 25 minutes and the bill cost us both about £10 each!

All we did was walk up and down the deck of the ship doing absolutely nothing and not realising that we were the only ones on the server.

Newbs.

Thanks guys, thanks for the great work that has provided me with hours of happiness. My favourite moment was the first time I played a fun map in race, with falling cars and dinghys. Compared to what I already knew about what you could do in GTA, it seemed so rediculous I couldn't stop laughing. And MTA can still make me laugh to this day. And no other game has done that.

Great work.

Great work, guys. It is very rare for a fan-run project to keep going this long. MTA has become more than I ever hoped it could. I remember how excited I was the first time I read the MTA Blue page. I think I read it about 10 times in a row because I couldn't believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

long live MTA!!!..

My best moments was the first time i found out there actually was an MP mod for GTA :o "Two years ago"

And i was playing the mod lets see almost every day after that.. Yes i've got a life soo dont think i dont =D..

Soo i hope too see some more action from the MTA team when a new GTA game comes to the PC without a MP mod and i wish that the mta team will be the first folks making one for "EKS: GTAIV or a new title after that"

Grats MTA ^^

• 4 weeks later...

hmm goin on 5 years wasting my life on this :P Soooo many hours soooo many things to choose from... I'd say my favorite moment was when Vice City Police went undefeated in the only official MTA tournament, which took place in MTA:VC as this was during its early development. It was a huge thing at the time when there were big gang rivalries and lots of trash talk going on to say we were the undisputed champs.

Its kinda hard to get that cooperation and have an honor code of not cheating anymore, since MTA has grown so much beyond a small community. I miss that feeling of getting the shivers when I would be one of the last or the only person alive on my team and it was up to me to score the big W.

heh, it's funny to read all those posts on the dutch forum about it being fake and stuff. I wonder what they're thinking now :P

Oh well, congratz to MTA :D,

I joined just after 0.5 was released thanks to Gamepro magazine :P

My best moment on MTA must've been the second I connected and saw my friend walking around, it was the greatest thing ever :P

• 2 months later...

I've also been around in the background mainly since the early days of gta3mta0.3b. My favourite time playing mta was in the mtavc 0.3r2-days, when you had to shoot a little to the right to actually hit someone :D Those were right before the cryptic-bots entered the era and right in the middle of a time with a lot of trainers and other cheats, I still think of it as a real war going on back then.

I've seen the mod go big-time and had literally loads of fun playing hours and hours with ofcourse the crashes occuring now and then. Those were also the great server-scripting days with the mIRC-scripts to echo the servers.

I want to thank the team very much for putting together a really nice piece of software that gave people a lot of fun and gta a totally new dimension. Kudos to all of you.

I've also been around in the background mainly since the early days of gta3mta0.3b. My favourite time playing mta was in the mtavc 0.3r2-days, when you had to shoot a little to the right to actually hit someone :D Those were right before the cryptic-bots entered the era and right in the middle of a time with a lot of trainers and other cheats, I still think of it as a real war going on back then.

I've seen the mod go big-time and had literally loads of fun playing hours and hours with ofcourse the crashes occuring now and then. Those were also the great server-scripting days with the mIRC-scripts to echo the servers.

I want to thank the team very much for putting together a really nice piece of software that gave people a lot of fun and gta a totally new dimension. Kudos to all of you.

• 1 year later...
  • MTA Team

A while ago we celebrated MTA's 7th anniversary. Quite a bit of things happened since this topic was first posted, however for me, the most important event which occurred during that time was MTA going Open Source.

Like it always was with MTA, this set a new trend in the GTA multiplayer scene, with nightly builds, code contributions and better input from the community. I wasn't expecting it either, I was stunned when I have first heard about it. But, as it proved later on, it was a good decision, with a bunch of new coding talents discovered, a release of the first stable version of MTASA and going above that magical number of 1000 concurrent players on MTA servers. From times when we've had a small clan-based community we went into a big supportive community that's built of good contributors, scripters, and other helpful members, which in my opinion wasn't present before.

• 6 months later...

haha i first started playing this game in about 2004 2005, good old vice city 0.3.2 n all that, spent a few years playin this on a daily basis, was kinda addictive, especially with the clan matches and all that, might even give this SA a blast see what its like compared to the mta i used to love :)

• 2 weeks later...