Freeze

Guest paranoidpj

I am having a problem where MTA freezes and quits once it gets to the menu screen. I'll give you as much information as I can about what I've done to be helpful.

First, I bought the game from Steam. After reading the forums I learned that my V3.00 gta-sa.exe file wouldn't work with MTA so I procured a V1.00 gta_sa.exe file that should in fact work with MTA (and, as an aside, DOES work with another multiplayer GTA program which shall remain nameless). When I load MTA it goes through the first few splash screens, the credits, etc. and the menu opens up for about three seconds. I hear typing, I can see CJ, Tommy and Claude at their computers, and then everything freezes. I can still hear sound but the video freezes (it could be that the video does freeze at this moment normally, I haven't seen the menu for more than a few seconds) and I can't move my mouse. When I CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the Task Manager, it says that GTA San Andreas is not responding.

So I've browsed the forums especially reading the threads about games crashing or Steam problems, and I was pointed to the Known Issues FAQ Wiki. There are many solutions given there that I have either tried or didn't apply to me (i.e. I don't have an nVidia card so I don't need to worry about that). I removed gta_sa.set from my User Files directory, I changed my resolution to 1280X1024, I've updated my display driver and DirectX, I just don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas, or is MTA pretty much a lost cause for me?