Synced traffic lights

Kaltsu

Synchronized traffic lights would be just something awesome.

Of course I understand, that they wouldn't get that much attention on deathmatch servers. But when it comes to roleplaying servers, they would really improve the quality of gaming there.

Does this idea get any support?

I totally agree with you Kaltsu, think about all the new options.

Of course it would be a big plus for roleplaying & racing servers. I hope the feature will be added.

-[R*]Carhartt :D

Well we've discussed it before. I for one support it, for street racing and RPG and such. After some discussion we realized that it might take up more bandwidth than its worth. I suggested having all traffic lights be the same color, across the entire map, thus saving bandwidth. Another idea was just shutting them off altogether, to prevent confusion. Anyways yeah if someone can make a low bandwidth script that'd be just super

Well we've discussed it before. I for one support it, for street racing and RPG and such. After some discussion we realized that it might take up more bandwidth than its worth. I suggested having all traffic lights be the same color, across the entire map, thus saving bandwidth. Another idea was just shutting them off altogether, to prevent confusion. Anyways yeah if someone can make a low bandwidth script that'd be just super

Well, in my opinion it could be made as a server side option so those who don't want it on, could disable it.

How would this even remotely affect racing? Isn't the idea to race? Not idle at an empty intersection waiting for a traffic light to change?

Also, let's face it. In MTA, people drive like complete idiots. They're hardly going to obey the rules of the road when there's 20 players spread across the 36 square kilometres of San Andreas...

Also, let's face it. In MTA, people drive like complete idiots. They're hardly going to obey the rules of the road when there's 20 players spread across the 36 square kilometres of San Andreas...

On RPG servers people wouldn't drive like complete idiots, at least if they have good roleplaying skills.

And on RPG server breaking the laws is always risky. If a cops sees you passing a red light, you will get punished...

But i think it get's boring if you have to stand at every light only for RPing... it would be a nice feature but other things are more important :wink:

Yeah, isn't it boring to stand at traffic lights in real life too?

At least in San Andreas the lights change a bit faster :wink:.

• 3 weeks later...
How would this even remotely affect racing? Isn't the idea to race? Not idle at an empty intersection waiting for a traffic light to change?

:tard:

Umm, dude? You were questioning the relationship between working traffic lights and racing. Since you do not understand, I'll explain. The plan that most racers have in mind, is that cars would line up at a traffic stop, and the race would begin when the green light activates. I thought it would have been obvious.

I also highly like the idea!

Having it as a Server option is, to me, the best way to satisfy everyone since you could just load the ressource if wanted.

But its definitivly an added touch of realism that either helps in RP, Cops or Racing servers.

After doing some looking around.

I noticed there is a Cheat code for single player called All Lights Green.

If there is a way we could implent the code to players and the server.

This would increase the rate of rp very high.

Right, if you believe there is lag. Do you see lag when you damage your car.

Answer is No yet all the damage is synced. Therefore it wouldnt cause any problems.

If you do experience lag then you could find ways to fix it.

Regards

Haldir

Argonath Rpg

http://argonathrpg.eu

Yes i totaly suport this one, my belive is that people are fed up with dm servers(theres a LOT of them)and are slightly turning to rp servers, Synced lights are one of "important" parts of street life so yes i suport this idea,

Count me in as one of fire suporters!!

my belive is that people are fed up with dm servers(theres a LOT of them)and are slightly turning to rp servers

are you mad?! the first 3 servers are nearly ALWAYS Freeroam only and then maybe one server with 10 people playing sth or tdma but after that it goes on with freeroam and rpg servers... btw read this topic: >Click<

• 2 weeks later...

The Idea could be, that you have an "overall traffic light signal", like the current time (since most computers have a very exact clock).

When a player joins, the server sends a signal, like "variable is 3556 now", and this variable gets set +1 every ms (or 100 ms), maybe synced every 30 seconds. And according to this data, the clients would be capable of "finding out" how to set the traffic lights, like, when a traffic light faces north/south, it has to be red when the variable x%1000 < 500, else it would be green. Facing west/east, it would have to be x%1000>500. Just an idea.

Or make a client side command which sets the traffic lights. That way, the Scripter would decide what to do.

I have an idea how to make traffic lights synced and lag would be very small. You're talking about making every traffic light have its state (red, yellow and green), right? Traffic lights could be synced in other way. They could be separated into groups. There must be at least 2 groups of them. Every group has its lighting state and it's changing. Then server doesn't need to send data about all traffic lights. It can send data about traffic lights groups. It would be a few bytes :) Does somebody agree?

I have an idea how to make traffic lights synced and lag would be very small. You're talking about making every traffic light have its state (red, yellow and green), right? Traffic lights could be synced in other way. They could be separated into groups. There must be at least 2 groups of them. Every group has its lighting state and it's changing. Then server doesn't need to send data about all traffic lights. It can send data about traffic lights groups. It would be a few bytes :) Does somebody agree?

I think that's just the same idea that Phat Looser explained above.

I think that's just the same idea that Phat Looser explained above.

Maybe he was trying to understand what I was talking about.

His explanation is easier to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe have a smaller timer, that's just the three times added up.

Red = 7 seconds.

Yellow = 4 seconds.

Green = 10 seconds.

The timer would be 21 seconds, so the client could get the current timer number and find the light status.

Example would be something like:

if timer < 8

red

elseif 7 < timer < 11

yellow

else

green

I like the above method, it seems like it would be the easiest way to go about syncing the lights.

(I know what I put was pseudo code)