Some editor questions

Truespin

In the fact OTHER started to post in this Forum, I will try to start a topic which is useful IF someone from the team will answer at least few of the questions that will be asked here. So if you have questions like me, write it down here........ :)

When I make a map for an existing gametype, for example CTV, how will I be able in the editor to chose ans set the "vehicle"? Do I have further options then, like "set Ballas spawnpoint"? Or is it getting more complicated? I don´t hope this, cause I don´t have a glue about scripting..... :oops:

And if I was right above: Can new gamemodes be added thento the editor that it knows the options?

This is how I imagine it at the moment. Cause due to different gametypes, the editor options must be different. There is no need for "Checkpoints" in a TDM map for example. If someone knows it better than me, I would be very pleased. :P

Edited by Guest
When I make a map for an existing gametype, for example CTV, how will I be able in the editor to chose ans set the "vehicle"? Do I have further options then, like "set Ballas spawnpoint"? Or is it getting more complicated? I don´t hope this, cause I don´t have a glue about scripting..... :oops:

i remeber soneone of the team who said, that its possible to create a new map for an existing gamemode without any scripting

i also guess that the mapeditor will have something i call "eventpoints" which means that i guess whenever something beside vehicles / players and some other basic stuff is bound on a point on the map (for example a boundaries) is appearing as ... lets say a shining ball (like the orb of capture the orb).

something im hoping for is the possibility to set a camera spot so i can go in the editor and watch the space i want to have as respawn screen or spawnscreen or whatever and just save this position.

another cool thing would be if the options would already contain something like driveby: "off" "always" "onhitdrivebykey" or adding special events to the eventpoints like if i cross this line the wether changes to thunderstorm

the only problem on my suggestion is that this results that i am creating a new gamemode if i would use all this possibilitys

but moving those eventpoints should be easy i think

I hope i'm not giving any false information but as far as i know it depends on the gamemode how complicated/uncomplicated it will be to create a new map for an existing gm or if you need any scripting to do so.

Somewhere on the Scripting Wiki I read that there are a few predefined element types that have there own syntax in the .map file but you'll be also able to create your own. So the Scripter of the Gamemode can use these predefined phrases like for normal objects or spawnpoints but he can also make his own like for the ctv mode a phrase that defines the location and model of the vehicle you have to capture.

I hope most of the scripters will make use of this because it will make mapping for a custom gamemode a lot easier so you don't have to write every gamemode specific element with the notepad in the lua script.

Edit: I found the Article on the Wiki here is the link: http://development.mtasa.com/index.php?title=Writing_Gamemodes#Making_maps_compatible