Boy shot on MTA bus at Grove St

Guest ­­�[alr]Slick

Things like that only happen in the states... When do you learn that guns shouldn't be something everyone can get?

They don't only happen in the states, but I agree with you they should redefine their policies on guns there. Letting people have a gun for self defense is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

They don't only happen in the states

That's true. People in Europe get their ass capped all the time, just like us.

Things like that only happen in the states... When do you learn that guns shouldn't be something everyone can get?
... but I agree with you they should redefine their policies on guns there. Letting people have a gun for self defense is just plain stupid and asking for trouble.

When will people learn that living in America is not like living in a shoot'em up western movie. You make it seem like everyone and everything has some kindof weapon mounted to it here in America. Try living here (and I mean living here for awhile, not some Tourist thing for six months) and you'll see that it's not how you think. Also, carrying weapons for self defense IS a good idea, because how will you defend yourself against thugs who obtain their weapons ILLEGALLY? And don't tell me crap about banning all weapons to slow down the illegal obtaining of weapons. Banning all weapons would be impossible, and would create a black market as alcohol did during times of prohibition, which would stimulate illegal gun smuggling.

Anyways, people who are given complete background checks and sent through gun training should be allowed to safely carry weapons to protect themselves and their families. Usually when people get a concealed weapon, its a pistol. Not machine guns or rocket launchers, remember, this is not a movie, people are just trying to stay safe, not save the world from mutant aliens from space. I hope you don't think the GTA series is a completely accurate depiction of America, because if it was I could just shout "HESOYAM" and I would suddenly have a bullet proof vest, better health, and lots of money. That's not real now is it?

• 4 weeks later...
Also, carrying weapons for self defense IS a good idea, because how will you defend yourself against thugs who obtain their weapons ILLEGALLY?

l

I don't agree with that logic at all. The average person wouldnt ever need more than a knife or a baseball bat to defend themselves.

You might think "oh what happens when someone with a gun comes along", but

a) If they were banned the chances of that happening would be minimal

b) If you DID have a gun to defend yourself, blood would be spilled either way - whether it was the "defender" or the "attacker". It wouldnt exactly reduce the number of deaths.

"Oh yeah, sure, if we give everyone guns no one would use them!" - Lazlow

I don't agree with that logic at all. The average person wouldnt ever need more than a knife or a baseball bat to defend themselves.

You might think "oh what happens when someone with a gun comes along", but

a) If they were banned the chances of that happening would be minimal

b) If you DID have a gun to defend yourself, blood would be spilled either way - whether it was the "defender" or the "attacker". It wouldnt exactly reduce the number of deaths.

"Oh yeah, sure, if we give everyone guns no one would use them!" - Lazlow

This subject will always be controversial, I mean, what can you do against people with guns, without giving other people guns to protect them against the other people with the guns, etc.

I just know that some people should be allowed to have firearms, otherwise pretty soon they'll have to ban knifes and baseball bats too. Where should we draw the line on protection, and what is, and what isn't considered a weapon? A baseball bat used for a baseball game could just as well be used to kill someone. Heck, I could strangle an intruder with my keyboard cable. Oh no! They'll have to ban keyboards too!

I understand that firearms are designed to immobilize / injure / kill things. But if ALL firearms were to just *poof* magically disappear, then people would just find other things to do the same result they got with firearms, like I explained above. Criminals would be running around with baseball bats and keyboard cables; they would still be robbing stores/homes/banks like they always have before. Except rather than being held at gunpoint, you would be held at knife point, or beaten with a bat.

Voice your opinion, I like a good healthy debate. (If I don't respond right away give me awhile, my work hours are changing)

I don't agree with that logic at all. The average person wouldn't ever need more than a knife or a baseball bat to defend themselves.

How about a woman or and old person trying to protect herself when a strong, young male burglar breaks into the home? You both got knifes or bats then its not an even playing field. I think not having guns promotes crime by making criminals more ballsy about committing crimes without worrying about the possible consequence of getting shot to death from a civilian. Mind you a bat with nails in it can be just as lethal.