STEAM!

Guest threek

Hey dont know if this has been bought up yet but...

Do you know if MTA:SA works on the Steam Purchased version of GTA?...

well in case you didnt know already yes but not out of the box...

i bought sa off Steam for £10 and was wondering if this would work, at first it didnt but i like to try again! it asked for gta-sa.exe and since this was a steam version i didnt have that file. however i downloaded a no-cd crack for the retail SA and placed it in the correct directory, and what'll you know MTA:SA WORKS!!!

major thanks to the dev team for this!

ThreeK

(btw i signed up to post this ^_^)

Edited by Guest
I’m not sure if you know but downloading a no cd crack is illegal there for I think this post should be ether added or deleted watch what you say (legal rights)

I am sure some one can explain better then me

If you have Paid for a game, then it is Legal for the person who purchased the game to No-disk it.

Probably more than 60% of all gamers "patch" their games, and the other 40% either think it's illegal, don't know about them or barely know how to turn a computer on. Every single game I have ever bought I either apply a no-cd or use a fixed image. Not because I care if the disks get scratched but because I am too damn lazy to keep swapping around disks.

The sooner all games go like Steam, the better, though without the .gcf crap making it harder to mod.

Anyway back on topic, it's good to know MTA actually works for steam with a 1.0 exe, might just persuade me to buy it on there and get rid of another DVD cluttering my room. But is gta3.img easily accessible? Since I like to play with high quality models.

i no-disk allmost every game i pay for, for one main reason ....

Somehow, disks here get destroyed, no idea how, its like, they will be fine, eject out of the tray, come back a few weks later, get the disc... look at it, and it looks like its been ran over by a truck. (might not help that i just leave discs everywhere) but im too cheap to but a new copy of any game 3 times a month.

and another thing.

i DISPISE steam.

mainly cos of this crap.....

i baught Half Life 2 DISK, had to install the game... that took a half hour, after that, it had to download mandatory updates before i could play it..... 2 WEEKS LATER (yes i was on dialup) i was able to load the game, which took another 2 hours of "Decrypting" or whatever bullshit. after that, i got into the game, only to find out that its boring, and lame.

So i uninstalled that game, and the Spyware known as STEAM off my pc.

Seriously, i can understand why game companys want to protect thier games from piracy, but steam is taking that shit way too far. i will never buy another steam game EVER.

Well if i may believe our law, then it is legal to patch the game to a no cd/dvd version. However only when this game has been bought by you. If you have illegal downloaded it then it is also illegal to use a no cd/dvd patch for it.

You need to see it as fellow. You bougt a cd, you rip it to your computer to set it on your mp3 player. This is legal. If you dowloaded the music illegal from the internet then it is illigal to set it on your mp3 player. So we are talking here about did you bougt the media or not. If you did you can use a no cd/dvd patch you didnt then it is illegal.

Haha damn it took you that long to get HL2 working, from a clean install of steam, I get HL2+mods downloaded, installed, and running in less than an hour. Online content systems like steam should not even be attempted on dial-up or slow computers. And yes HL2 is nothing great anymore, but its the hundreds of single and multiplayer mods available that you are really paying for. I would buy HL2 10 times over in a heartbeat just for the mods.

Also people still going off topic, is gta3.img easily accessible for the Steam version so I can change vehicle models?

Steam is really good when you have many games made by obscure developers, it makes them more accessable to a wider audience. Take a look at Garrys Mod. The developer makes money off of that and you don't see that in the shops, nor would you. Some of the bigger games are a pain to download, but providing you've got a good memory you don't have to move around disks & boxes for games when you re-install windows or get a new comp. The only thing I have against Steam & ValvE is that you can put quite alot of money into effectively one password, you loose that password ( it gets stolen ) and you have a big job getting your account back, if it's even possible.

Have you got txd mods to work with it yet?

Haha damn it took you that long to get HL2 working, from a clean install of steam, I get HL2+mods downloaded, installed, and running in less than an hour. Online content systems like steam should not even be attempted on dial-up or slow computers.

the computer was an AMD Athlon 3200+ running a ATi 9600 XT when the game was running, full rez, full graphics settings, it was staying above 40FPS.

so it wasn't a slow computer for its time.

i got half life 2 only a few weeks after it was released.

all steam really is is Anti Piracy software Disguised to be usefull. and seriously, i dont fall for it.

oh quick note you have to install MTA in the GTA steamapps folder, a few of my clanmates tried it and it didnt work being installed elsewhere

if steam is an anti piracy thing then its a double edged sword now people have developed illegal programs to either A emulate a cyber cafe account or B give access to GCF files over the internet, unlocking all games on steam giving people access to hundreds of games rather than the conventional way of illegally downloading games...

oh and dazza? is your name daryl by any chance? edit dont worry just say ur from aussie land, not the guy i was thinking

oh and dazza? is your name daryl by any chance? edit dont worry just say ur from aussie land, not the guy i was thinking

Nah man, im Daniel.

Daniel "DazzaJay" Fitzgerald.

the name DazzaJay came about when i first got Xbox live many years ago. and i have used it ever since.

I want people to know here, that steam is not secure, it's very handy indeed, but there are hack groups that can and will hijack your account, and you don't even ever have to tell anybody your password for them to do so. My steam account was hijacked not long ago, then my email account that was tied into it was hijacked which made it impossible for me to request for password, fortunantly for me i have proof of ownership of it, in which the hijacker don't, but it's still a big pain in the ass to get back as i have to have steam change my email to my new one, and then go from there.

My advice is change your steam password frequently, once a week if you can.