Steam Version of GTA:SA

MasterEvilAce

Question

In theory there should be no problem, in my mind, but just to make sure.

Will MTA work with the steam version of GTA:SA? I know MTA installs separately, however will the different EXE cause MTA to crash, or any of that? Given that I'm sure the Steam version has a no-cd patch embeded in it already.

Anyone have any success?

20 answers to this question

Discoveries! (for anyone who doesn't know about the STEAM version of GTA: http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?are ... 1395&cc=US )

Okay, downloaded San Andreas.

Installed MTA. Told MTA my SA install is in

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto san andreas

Which it is.

MTA says cannot find gta_sa.exe.

The steam version is gta-sa.exe, not gta_sa.exe. Notice the - instead of the _

No problem, rename the exe, MTA is fine. When loading MTA, it loads the EXE, however steam takes over and launches, then launches regular GTA, without MTA integrated.

So it won't work.

HOWEVER. If you take the EXE from your regular game install, and put it in the steam folder as gta_sa.exe (not messing with gta-sa.exe, or any other files in the directory), everything works flawlessly, like it should, and Steam doesn't "take over" anything. Kinda stupid if you own the original game, since you don't need steam, and those with steam w/o the original game can't play MTA, unless they find an EXE somewhere, but that's obviously a no-no.

Also, I imagine if you wanted to delete your intro movies, you could do that, and set steam to "Do not automatically update this game", and that'll stop those files from downloading.

I just downloaded my copy of the STEAM version of GTA:SA

I followed every direction on the post, with no luck.

I disabled auto update of files, I got my original .exe, and nothing.

It loads, I get to pick my server, then when the normal GTASA Loading screen pops up and finishes loading, It gives brings me back to the MTA main menu with an error that said something about how it couldn't get necessary files and that it was a download error #9.

Please help.

No Luck.

Tried also the no-cd and the original version of it.

Well to be honest my original copy of the game was a torrent.

So maybe that might be why.

But I wont know for sure until i get a real exe of it.

Alright, to clarify the exact procedure I used..

1) Install GTA:SA from Steam. Make sure it's 100% downloaded

2) Move original / no-cd / whatever gta_sa.exe into your newly downloaded GTA:SA.

Mine defaulted to

3) Install MTA. I used the default which is (I believe)

C:\Program Files\Multi Theft Auto

4) During the install, or maybe it's after, MTA asks you where San Andreas is installed. Point it to the same location as step #2. If it errors saying that it cannot find gta_sa.exe, then you either have the wrong location specified, or you messed up step #2.

Finish up the install. You should be able to run MTA at this point, and it should play like it does normally. I would assume if you used your legit copy of San Andreas' .EXE, then you will need your CD-Rom in the drive to play. If you used a no-cd .EXE, then it should just work.

If you don't mess with any of the other files in the GTA directory, you should still be able to load GTA normally through steam. Running MTA itself, should NOT cause steam to load, nor should you see any steam prompts or anything. If you do, something is wrong.

[OPTIONAL]

If you want to, you can remove the intro movies GTAtitles.mpg and logo.mpg. This was a common thing to do to the original game, it stops those videos from loading, allowing you to just click past them while loading the game. Saves some time. If the screen is blank while loading, just click once or twice and it'll continue.

These are located here:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto san andreas\movies

You delete these videos, and create new files (File -> New -> Text document, or whatever it is listed as), rename them to GTAtitles.mpg and logo.mpg, and set them as READ-ONLY. If you play the game using steam, you might want to disable automatic updating for GTA:San Andreas under steam.

Anyone still having problems?

So I made a copy of gta-sa.exe, renamed it gta_sa.exe and put it in the Valve>Steam>Steamapps>common>grand theft auto san andreas folder (same as gta-sa.exe) and specified it during the installation. When i run MTA the load screen comes up, goes halfway, then starts as the regular game. Ever find out a way to block Steam from loading the regular game? It's odd I followed the steps exactly and it still gets hijacked.

So I made a copy of gta-sa.exe, renamed it gta_sa.exe and put it in the Valve>Steam>Steamapps>common>grand theft auto san andreas folder (same as gta-sa.exe) and specified it during the installation. When i run MTA the load screen comes up, goes halfway, then starts as the regular game. Ever find out a way to block Steam from loading the regular game? It's odd I followed the steps exactly and it still gets hijacked.

Nah, the first post in this thread was me experimenting. But it turns out you need to find either a no-cd version of the EXE or an original copy of gta_sa.exe, and put it in the folder.

I have GTASA from steam but not the original.exe/nocd.exe? I assume the original.exe is from the retail version, which I don't have. The nocd.exe I have no idea on earth what this is? Anyone enlighten me?

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I've recently downloaded GTA SA from steam and I can't get MTA to work on it.

So far I've tried:

Changing the "gta-sa" file to "gta_sa"

Disconnecting from Steam

Stopping Auto updates

downloading a patch to downgrade my version (I think it's version 3, but judging by MasterEvilAce, the steam version seems to run MTA anyway)

And nothing seems to have worked, I'm making sure that the San Andreas location in the prompt is:

But everytime I install I get a message at the end telling me I have an invalid serial number. Any help would be greatly appreciated :) ,

Thanks, Simon.