Is it possible to have Race & DM installed...

Guest MB|Covering Fire

At the same time?

I installed DM, now cant use race. And it seems no amount of trickery will allow me to have both at the same time. Any ideas how i can play both?

Chances are theres something hopelessly easy to fix it, but meh; forums are only here so stupid people like me can look even more retarded :roll:

I'm afraid it isn't possible, the only way is to install Race over DM and vice versa

Great, screw DM then :cry: I'll wait for a more stable release to make a switch over.

I stated this issue in the beta section of the forums a few days ago, I didn't recieve any relitave response. However, I thought I read in the news that there was installer fix for mta dm using GTA's registry path data instead of MTA's whish was more likley to be correct. I thought this dealt with the issue, I guess not?

Cant say i've seen/tried that fix, will have a look when the MTASA site decides it wants to load for me -.-

{{LeftBar}}

{{ButtonBar}}

{{NavBar}}

[*#content*]

{{Footer}}

Thats all i get

EDIT - aaaand its back :lol:

Cant say i've seen/tried that fix, will have a look when the MTASA site decides it wants to load for me -.-

{{LeftBar}}

{{ButtonBar}}

{{NavBar}}

[*#content*]

{{Footer}}

Thats all i get

EDIT - aaaand its back :lol:

its like this again

Well, i reinstalled and tried everything i could think of to get it working. nothing.

Turns out i cant play anyway, i just get booted from every server with download errors. :cry:

I'll try to make a breakdown of what I did to make both Race and DM co-exist on the same machine. It requires a bit of technical know-how and some prodding in the Windows registry, so don't blame me if you mess it up.

I already had a folder called D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA) with my old install of MTA inside there in a folder called MTA. I made a copy of this whole folder and called it GTA San Andreas (MTA DM). I then installed MTA:DM into D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA DM)\MTA, and told the installer that the D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA DM) is the GTASA folder.

There is a registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas - which has two values that tell MTA where to get it's info from. The two values - Default and GTA:SA Path - define the locations of the version of MTA and GTASA that you want to play. So, if I want to play Race, then it would be:

Default - D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA)\MTA

GTA:SA Path - D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA)

To play DM I change these to:

Default - D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA DM)\MTA

GTA:SA Path - D:\Games\GTA San Andreas (MTA DM)

You can export a .reg file from Regedit to make it easier to change.

You must change both locations - for some reason it seems that using this method, both versions of MTASA like to have their own GTASA folder. However, you can just have one shortcut on your desktop pointing to one of the Multi Theft Auto.exe files, because it'll always load the version that is defined in the registry.

This is a bit of an arse-backwards way of doing things but it works for me and didn't take me a lot of effort, and maybe it'll inspire someone to come up with an easy batch file or program that makes it easier to swap between versions :)

Dave

http://www.teamskc.co.uk

?

I don't see what the problem is here.

Assuming you already have Race installed, when you run the MTA:DM installer it asks you where you want the installation to go, by default its "c:/program files/MTA San Andreas".

All you have to do is change that address in the installer to something like "c:/program files/MTA San Andreas DM".

By doing this my original shortcut for Race works, so does the new one for DM.

Whats the big deal?

?

Assuming you already have Race installed, when you run the MTA:DM installer it asks you where you want the installation to go, by default its "c:/program files/MTA San Andreas".

All you have to do is change that address in the installer to something like "c:/program files/MTA San Andreas DM".

Whats the big deal?

Thats doesn't work. Even if you have two different GTA's on your PC, if you install MTA:SA Race and MTA:DM togeather, they will not work.

When you then want to play MTA:SA Race, it just loads up the MTA:DM and DM server list.

?

Whats the big deal?

Thats doesn't work. Even if you have two different GTA's on your PC, if you install MTA:SA Race and MTA:DM togeather, they will not work.

When you then want to play MTA:SA Race, it just loads up the MTA:DM and DM server list.

lol, yea i just found that out :oops: i swear i tested both ??? anyway...

i found another, slightly simpler, way of allowing both Race and DM without having to fiddle with your registry.

Basically, inside the original GTA:SA folder is an MTA folder (mine is C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\MTA) and its the files in this folder that decide which version is played, so....

Before you reinstall which ever version you dont have, Go to your C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas folder and rename the MTA folder to "MTA whatever".

Now install DM/Race.

Now there will be 2 folders "MTA" and "MTA whatever". The one that is used by the game is "MTA" obviously :P

You can now choose which version you play by renaming the folders back and forth.

Got bored and made a little GUI for Davey boys' method =]

DESTRUCTIONS:

1) Select your MTA Installation directories by clicking the 'MTA Dirs...' button, or edit the config.ini file

2) The main screen will tell which mode you are in. Click 'Switch' to change it. Piece of piss :)

3) Start the game!

SCREENIES:

Main:

main_screen.jpg

Info:

info_screen.jpg

Directories:

dirs_screen.jpg

Change Directories:

choose_dir_screen.jpg

DOWNLOAD:

RAR:

http://www.rarhost.com/download-6xgrs1.html

ZIP:

http://rapidshare.com/files/81343925/MT ... h.zip.html

Quite proud of it so I am xD

If you're gonna switch something why not just switch the MTA folder that's within the game folder?

Now one has to worrying about editing the registry (even if it is already done for them using this switcher or the reg files).

It'll be the same amount of hassle.

And save a lot of drive space, which might not be a big deal to some but can be for others.

Here's what I did:

Since I had Race installed already, I went to the game folder and found the MTA folder and renamed it MTA-Race

I also have MTA Race's exe installed in it's own folder as well, just left it called it's default name of MTA San Andreas

Then installed DM, during the install when it asked where to install it I called it's folder MTADM

Then renamed the MTA folder in the game folder MTA-DM

I'm not working on getting with a friend to create a bat file that I'll end up running from the 'GTA San Andreas User Files' folder. It'll switch the folders and leave a txt file that'll show which one is already set to run.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a working way myself.

Made a installer for it :)

Version 1 had a little error at the map editor for race,this is fixed now :)

Here is the download link for Version 2.

http://files.filefront.com/MTA+DMRace+v ... einfo.html

Follow the read me in the zip :)

Btw I also made a own pictogram for this :) (will be installed in the mta directory)

You can change the pictogram of the schortcut on the desktop to it if you want :P

No one has downloaded my icons yet... :arrowup::alien:

Anyways. I think when I run race using truscots excellent switcher, it all works great, but when I run DM, the keys work, but as i set GTA back to controller setting for race (I use a 360 controller) the mouse look does not work! The only way to fix it is by copying the gta folder for dm across! The solutions posted above are either fiddly or long dwonload times involved, and besides, I my desktop already has a DM switch icon on it, so i was wondering if someone could integrate a gta user filers switcher nto the dm race switcher? Thanks.

EDIT:

I have just thought of a way to do this. It won't work for me as I'm not supposed to be an admin on my family PC (I can run stuff as an admin using similar trickery to the method below) therefore my request for the user files switcher still stands (pretty please :) )

So this is for people that want an easy way to have different control configs for the different gamemodes (race and mta dm)

OK. Make another admin account, with your race / dm user files in the accounts documents fodler for your controls. If it needs to be an admin account, then make it an admin account (duh, why did I even botehr typing that?). Then run the mta exe as that user, therefore their gta user files will be used. The other mta (race or dm) you can run as yourself, with the relevant gta user files in your own documents folder. And to save you the hassle of typing in the username and password to run as every time, use this program RunAsProfessional (http://www.mast-computer.com/c_9-l_en.html)

Then you can make a shortcut that opens mta race or Dm as them, so it happens just like opening it normally, except it will be run as someone else, therefore using their (different) GTA controls. Simple eh?

Tell me if this works out for you. Also tell me if you don;t understand a word of what I said, because reading it through again it looks like what it was - a rushed explanation.

The basic upshot is having 2 users, yours and a new one, with different control schemes for the two differet mta versions in the two users local folders. Then you can run one program as one user and the other as your own user, thereby using different controls for each version. Hopefully that makes more sense :)

If you still don't get it, or want more help using runasprofessional (it's pretty simple, find the program to be run and type in the user name and password to log on as, then choose the option to save a rap file which you can now use as the shortcut to your mta)

Lastly, I apologise for my appalling typing but I am all too conscious that it is 9:00 and I need to do my homework, instead of helping the MTA community, though satisfying.

-thestrangestick

• 4 months later...
I'm using the GUI switcher and am having a problem loading race, It says unable to open GTASA. I do have 2 installations of the game as well as a separate installation for Race and DM, so what could be wrong? :?

At least DM works fine :)

Make sure you leave the skc switcher open when you run MTA. Ensure also that the switcher has the correct directories for race and DM.

I'm using the GUI switcher and am having a problem loading race, It says unable to open GTASA. I do have 2 installations of the game as well as a separate installation for Race and DM, so what could be wrong? :?

At least DM works fine :)

Make sure you leave the skc switcher open when you run MTA. Ensure also that the switcher has the correct directories for race and DM.

Check and check! So if I'm doing all that right, what else could be wrong? :(