MTA Official Radio

paul527

Read the whole post!!! :o

I know that many users have suggested that MTA implement a "streaming radio" feature into the new MTA release, and every time have the developers explain their plans on how they'd rather not, to conserve bandwidth. That aside, shouldn't MTA have an official station that can be heard 24/7 via media players? I understand that AlienX has mentioned hosting a station, but admits that the station would not be available 24/7 under his hosting, due to his internet sharing situation. The MTA team would need to find a generous host for 24/7 availability, which I don't think would be easy to come by. (After DM is released maybe some volunteers may arise, but not in abundance.) Anyways,

The feature I am suggesting: To allow the MTA client to display an updated URL for the current MTA Official Radio stream, with a "Refresh" button next to it to get the latest URL, and a "Copy to Clipboard" button that would copy the URL to Window's clipboard. This way, if the host changes regularly, or for temporary repair, users can easily Refresh and paste new URL's into their media players before going in-game.

The constantly updated URL may eliminate the need for a single permanent 24/7 host, and instead can depend on several different hosts that are each willing to cover some of the day, and take turns regularly on a hourly or daily schedule. (In this case, AlienX's hosting may come in handy) As the station is handed over to another host, users can simply Refresh and paste the new URL into their media players and proceed to rock on. 8)

Seems like a good idea, and it would work well. But that's only if they want to make an official MTA radio. I think a lot of communities will probably have their own official radios too. But I'm sure someone out there can host one for the entire MTA community to use. I usually just listen to my user tracks though 8)

But I'm sure someone out there can host one for the entire MTA community to use.

Keep in mind that finding only one primary host would be quiet difficult. It would be much easier to find users who can host for maybe 3 to 5 hours a day. After finding several volunteers to host different hours of the day, eventually the entire 24 hour time schedule would be filled. If not, at least 19 to 22 hours out of the 24.

You also mentioned how you listen to user tracks, which allows me again to point out the benefits of MTA Official Radio, the fact that its streaming on your media player, which means you can simply shutdown the player at any time to gain back bandwidth, and play the local user tracks instead. Users with 256k and lower understand how this would be good on a high-ping server. Users with dial-up would appreciate this as well, since they need all the possible bandwidth possible, and would probably listen to the radio on #mta IRC rather than while in-game.

I also forgot to mention that the live streams can allow people to embrace an opportunity at DJing a radio station, and would be a great start for radio enthusiasts. These stations can feature a live DJ voice similar to that of an airwave radio station, and community made songs (such as IJs music) to hear the musical talent of the community.

Keep in mind that finding only one primary host would be quiet difficult. It would be much easier to find users who can host for maybe 3 to 5 hours a day. After finding several volunteers to host different hours of the day, eventually the entire 24 hour time schedule would be filled. If not, at least 19 to 22 hours out of the 24.

Do you mean to have different hosts as in different IPs or just a different DJ on at different times of the day? Because, having different IPs hosting during the day would be a pain. Of course we can't have a 24/7 DJ but a 24/7 host on the same IP is definitely possible to do, with alternating DJs.

I also forgot to mention that the live streams can allow people to embrace an opportunity at DJing a radio station, and would be a great start for radio enthusiasts. These stations can feature a live DJ voice similar to that of an airwave radio station, and community made songs (such as IJs music) to hear the musical talent of the community.

This is true, my friend does this a little bit, although he doesn't talk and he has an automated system so he actually doesn't need to do too much to host it. So if we do have any enthusiasts that want to be DJs, they should post here :D

Also, if anyone is willing to host (I can also ask my friend) please post as well. :)

Do you mean to have different hosts as in different IPs or just a different DJ on at different times of the day? Because, having different IPs hosting during the day would be a pain. Of course we can't have a 24/7 DJ but a 24/7 host on the same IP is definitely possible to do, with alternating DJs.

I meant different hosts as in different IPs. I know this may seem like a pain, but thanks to the "Refresh" and "Copy to Clipboard" buttons, switching to a new host's stream is a breeze.

This is true, my friend does this a little bit, although he doesn't talk and he has an automated system so he actually doesn't need to do too much to host it. So if we do have any enthusiasts that want to be DJs, they should post here :D

Also, if anyone is willing to host (I can also ask my friend) please post as well. :)

Yes, if anyone would like to DJ, or host, they should post here.

i thought you just hosted a streaming server on a server somewhere then the 'DJs' connected to it and streamed to that and then that streamed to anybody connect so only 1 IP would be required

You are spot on...

What i might do is send over my external hard drive to my server box and copy my Mp3 collection over to it... just then licencing is an issue

Im open to donations :P

What i might do is send over my external hard drive to my server box and copy my Mp3 collection over to it... just then licencing is an issue

Im open to donations :P

Why not host community made uploaded music, so that you can avoid all the licencing crap? :)

There isnt enough, all we would play is John's Drum and Bass lol

I make music, some I even rap over...

Also, I would totally DJ given the opportunity, considering i have a podcasting mic, and Sam Broadcaster 4 but no server to use them on :cry:

Man this is why I want this idea to happen, because I know there's people out there like you who have the ambition to DJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to contribute a bit.

With AlienX opening up his radio station again, it is possible to have this going again. If someone write a resource, it could definitely happen.

There are plenty of indie artists out there that could be played if we are worried about copyright issues. Not all of the music is awesome, but it would be a good alternative to listening to GTAs standard stations & our own. Mixing it up would be awesome.