Weird suggestion, but i think it would be cool.

DaGanjaMan

I was thinking, after looking at the raining hay picture posted today, I thought What about implementing a tornado feature? I know it sounds weird, but i think it would be cool if a tornado was implemented and it could pick up objects that the user has put into the map eg. hay would fly around in circles and you'd see a grey tornado spinning, and it could pick up objects that are close to it, a "escape the tornados" gamemode would be cool, There would be more than one tornado and you have to try and escape it, Anyways, hope you like my suggestion...

DaGanjaMan

1000 hours of hard working for a realistic tornado sounds insane. but would it be possible to make the tornado able to pick up the players too?

who said 1000 hours of hard work? could be done for a few hours/days, depends on how skilled you are. And yes, it can pick players, objects, vehicles, anything

i just think making it realy good would take much more time maybe not 1000 hours but in fact i would never get finished with such a difficult thing. but that makes me ask another question, is it possible to rescript the waves? we saw that its already possible to change the height of the water and the tallness of the waves but is it possible to make the waves for instance go around in some kind of circle?

It could be implemented with some kind of "invisible" magnetic cranes, like in port where you buy/sell cars and in that other place. Like the crane is in the middle and is spinning really fast with objects attached on invisible strings, and some kind of tornado model spinning around. It would be hard to sync accurately though, or it would take a lot of bandwidth.

Nice idea btw!

It sounds nice to me, but I can imagine you can only make it realistic with adding new textures/models and such to the game and it would still be hard and a lot of work. If someone implements this I would be rather happy tho :P

• 1 month later...

I was hoping that GTA would have tornadoes and cloud-to-ground lightning, but er, Rockstar never did it. So if someone could script tornadoes to touch down during thunderstorms at random intervals (like 1 or 2 per thunder storm) that would be awesome, and players should see the tornado as a red dot on their GPS. This script may add realism to RPG servers.

Also, if scripters are worried about the particle limit, they can always make one of those tornadoes that are primarily visible near the ground, such as this tornado:

tornadouw5.jpg

can you imagine seeing this in SA?

only a good scripter can make these massive "wedge" tornadoes:

binger.jpg

PS: to prove that this pic isn't fake, watch this (the whole thing lazy bones!)

I think this tornado script is a good idea, and when MTA:DM comes around, I'll try to make it too.

• 1 month later...

Tornadoes would be really funny in MTA. If they add that, they should work on putting in some like 75 foot tsunamis that hit the edges of the map too. And how about lightning that randomly strikes players? That would be funny to watch one of those spawn campers get hit by an act of god. lol :P

• 3 weeks later...

if you wanted to do this, one thing i'd suggest is creating a custom 3d model (look at the pickup code in race), for the tornado, and move it around while rotating it.

Picking up players could be simple enough there are math formulas that describe a helix, that could be adapted to deciding waht kind of force needs to be placed on the element that is within a given range...

I like the idea though :)

**EDIT**

with regards to the math.. an easier way of thinking about it, is you always want to apply a verticle force updwards, and a sideways force tangential to a circle from the player relative to the center of the tornado.

if you wanted to do this, one thing i'd suggest is creating a custom 3d model (look at the pickup code in race), for the tornado, and move it around while rotating it.

Picking up players could be simple enough there are math formulas that describe a helix, that could be adapted to deciding waht kind of force needs to be placed on the element that is within a given range...

I like the idea though :)

**EDIT**

with regards to the math.. an easier way of thinking about it, is you always want to apply a verticle force updwards, and a sideways force tangential to a circle from the player relative to the center of the tornado.