Is GTA4 out of line for the Jack Thompson mission?

Guest jeffb83

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the game never specifically mentions Jack Thompson's name, nor have we seen any screenshots that would allow us to see whether he depicts Jack Thompson (in physical appearance at least). So I say, BIG FARTS CUZ WE ARE NOTS THE KNOW! HAPPY BLOCK

(in short, this thread is just a link to a dumb (yet kindof funny) poll)

• 1 month later...

as far as i know the lawyer is referred to as "jack" , now theres little doubt that its a poke at that jackass, but im sure hes not the only lawyer with that first name. jack is media whoring as usual. im not gonna get into a forum circle jerk where everyone agrees and just keeps bouncing arguments around, but i will say he would be a lot more entertaining if he was doing it at least a little tongue in cheek, but he seems to genuinely believe the babble that flows out of his maw.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it is a bad move, Rockstar is just handing him more media time and feading him ammunation. On the other hand I see the symbolic message of it, that they will not bow down.

I do not believe in censorship and for that reason I think it is healthy to have Jack Thompsons around. I find it way worse that the poor aussies get cut versions of GTA each time, the poor bastards :lol:

I think it is a bad move, Rockstar is just handing him more media time and feading him ammunation. On the other hand I see the symbolic message of it, that they will not bow down.

I do not believe in censorship and for that reason I think it is healthy to have Jack Thompsons around. I find it way worse that the poor aussies get cut versions of GTA each time, the poor bastards :lol:

Yeah, well I've noticed that many do not take Jack seriously (from gamers to lawyers), and that Jack's attempts to shutdown expressions of art/entertainment usually lead people to reinforce their belief in the freedom of that expression. Just because parents are too dumb to know what their kids are ready for, doesn't mean Jack should try to rest that responsibility on game developers. His logic just doesn't make any sense in that aspect.

Yeah, well I've noticed that many do not take Jack seriously (from gamers to lawyers), and that Jack's attempts to shutdown expressions of art/entertainment usually lead people to reinforce their belief in the freedom of that expression. Just because parents are too dumb to know what their kids are ready for, doesn't mean Jack should try to rest that responsibility on game developers. His logic just doesn't make any sense in that aspect.

• 4 weeks later...
although there is a lawyer in the game, but he didn't act like a douche

That is probably the official argument by Take 2 regarding the Jack Thompson controversy:

"Your Honor, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the lawyer in our release of Grand Theft Auto 4 could not possibly be in the likeness of Jack Thompson, due to the fact that the character's persona in our game is not a douche. I rest my case your Honor."