Local server - Abysmal connection

well ... i suggest trying to find where the problem is exactly before trying to fix it

can you tell what hardware you use, what modem, whats the connection speed etcetc, is it at home or a proper hosted server .. what are the server settings (for instance - trying to serve 32 people on a budget consumer broadband connection wont work)

do you have other things running and what (obviously downloading on p2p software while hosting a serve is a bad idea)

is it when the server is empty or full or always .. etc

if its not any of the obvious things

then there are other things to check first .. do you have lag spikes in other programs once in a while too ? ..

are you on a wired connection .. or wireless *eek!*

etcetc .. basically what my post boils down to : give more information

ps. if your running a small server on your home connection ,and you have this trouble all the time even with a wired connection always .. even on simple downloads

even if you just have one computer connected and you even tested it with the shortest cables possible (yes , place your modem and computer next to where your cable enters tho house for a few days :o )

it could be that there is some strange interference on your adsl connection - (me works for a helpdesk of a internet provider, i have seen it the odd couple of times during my carier) . and if your quite sure after following some of these tips that its the connection you can always call the helpdesk and request a MIP test (a.k.a. request a test of the connection)

Thanx very much for such a detailed answer

I am connected via a wired connection which is 100Mbps, also there is a wireless network in the house with 3 other computers.

When I play MTA, all I have running is mIRC MTA scripts editor, no other downloads.

The server is rarely full because it can only be seen on the serverlist occasionally. The most I've ever had online with no crashes is 9 people, sometimes the internet does crash for 10 -20 minutes.