Making server 24/7

Hi,

I need to make my server 24/7 like making it run without having to keep SSH open to make the server stay up. I need to do this because my connection keeps restarting itself because of the very bad weather we have been getting (ie, power cuts, floods etc). So what i want to know is how do i do this?

Quote: So you want a server to stay up when your internet is down?

You: Yes

You say the server is on a dedicated server, im assuming this is outside of your own internet connection...

If so, you ovisually wont be able to check the status of your server when your internet connection is down...

Also to keep the server online without having to keep putty (or whatever u use) open is a command based thing on the start syntax.. i dunno what it is but be sure to contact your server hosting company for advice.

GL with that.
Worked for me before but i didn't set it up my host did but i moved since then to a new host. Surely is possible to do without contacting my host? Other people must make the server 24/7 so it must be possible

What my old host did was make a command ./startserver which would make the server go online and make it possible to close SSH (putty) and when the server went down and then came back online it restarted it without having to do ./startserver

• 4 months later...

If you're running a Debian-based distro (eg. Debian, Ubuntu etc) just use apt-get install screen (as root obviously).

For Fedora, I expect it would be something like yum install screen. Not sure for about other distros, I'm not very experienced with Linux.

• 2 months later...

I recently got banned from alienx server like at LEAST a MONTH ago... I really like that server it is geed up from the feet up, i got banned for edited handling lines but it was the second offense i read the license aggreement that it would take three offenses to get banned pemently, but i only had two and got banned permently, but i was recently trying to install a mod on my game on the gta3.img file when my computer crashed in the process, so my game coruppted and i had to reinstall it again, I would appreciate getting back into the server, I dont know what the site was thats why i posted it here

smielys are evil they crash my computer