Custom models support continued (by IJs)

erorr404

Continuing our previous custom models post, that was posted a while ago, about custom vehicle modifications.. we continued our development on dynamic and scripted custom models importing, which yielded the following results.

de_aztec01_thumb.jpg

de_aztec05_thumb.jpg

de_aztec03_thumb.jpg

This is the result of few hours of coding, and some poor map placement done by me (find the glitches!).. but the result is statisfying.

The dynamically imported level model you can see here may be recognized by a few of you as de_aztec from Counter-Strike: Source. It's a free implementation of the map as part of the MTA:Revolution model pack, by ParoXum .

We got everything (.col, .dff and .txd support) working, as you can see. The visual effects can still be a bit harsh, but we should be able to get those working perfectly fine.

This was done entirely inside MTA, without the need of any file replacements or application restarts. The level models (to be sent to all players whenever the map loads) are actually 4 dynamic objects inside the game which can be manipulated, and be model-changed at any time.

Edited by Guest
Question: are the models goign to be streamed LIVE(like the maps in RACE), or are they going to be downloaded before you join the server(like in Half Life/Counter Strike) ?

they will be auto-downloaded by your client once a resource starts, live. You won't have to do anything yourself

Woot its spectacular! your work pleases me more every day :D im so glad you guys are working with ParoXum on this, he knows modding his maps :P

this will truley be one of the finishing touches to MTA DM to make it stand out 350% more than old dusty SAMP ever could, you guys are the best!

(edit) WAIT im not not done, visit this site fellas: http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=261465

take a look at ParoXum's work here, see his POWA! combined with mta it will b great

ohh and this too is paro's work page

http://www.closed-eyes-area.com/index.php?Paroxum

To clarify, when the resource is started, the server checks if all the clients have the necessary files. If they dont it will auto download and install it from the server, which has its own download progress interface. If they already downloaded it once, it will remain and you can play right away.

Its also a very simple process for mappers to upload their models seperately, where you could download and install it yourself without having to bear with slow speeds by downloading from the server.

so i have a question, its more to deal with the custom car models rather than objects/levels, and its whether or not the custom car models are serverside or clientside, or both, because if i had (hypothetically) a lamborghini diablo sv, and joined a server, would i be able to just (inject?) put my car on the server so everyone sees it? or would i be restricted to the models that are serverside, and can only use what the server offers?

so i have a question, its more to deal with the custom car models rather than objects/levels, and its whether or not the custom car models are serverside or clientside, or both, because if i had (hypothetically) a lamborghini diablo sv, and joined a server, would i be able to just (inject?) put my car on the server so everyone sees it? or would i be restricted to the models that are serverside, and can only use what the server offers?

It would be serverside. The scripter would onlu have the ability to do that. The best way to achieve what you're saying, is some sort of MySQL accounts system, where you can login at a web page. From there you could upload your files and the script could automatically assign those files to your account, and you could find your car. However, this poses the big problem of everyone having to download your car - with lets say 2000 accounts, that wouldnt be pretty.

But does that mean you can make your own "Counter-strike source, HL2" , maps and import it into the game?

You can import any GTA models for maps. These arent actually CSS or HL2 maps that are imported, they are clones made for gta by paroxum.

Yes you can import it into a game, but the map (resource) needs to be on the server. Just like race maps, you will need server admins to download your map - usually through MTA center. Or of course, start your own server.

You can import any GTA models for maps. These arent actually CSS or HL2 maps that are imported, they are clones made for gta by paroxum.

You might want to edit the article to clarify that, Tali. That's what I initially thought it meant.

P.S. Great work, guys. I know people are complaining but these features are WORTH waiting for. It's not like you're wasting time on trivial things.

Yeah, these features are great for a first release. It'll make it so interesting having many different models. But, I'm not sure how many server hosts are gonna use custom textures etc..., although will all these downloaded extras be big? And will it be possible to have an option where they are auto-deleted if not used in a while? Like a server you just went to 1 time for fun, but won't go to regularly. Cuz like a few games I've played it can add up to alot :?

Either way I love this feature and can't wait to try maps/modes of all kinds :P

really wouldnt it be great if using the source SDK we could make levels for MTA that are "totally" custom, including textures and object collisions...i somehow doubt thats possible to import the Hammer editors files to MTA tho, and the way paroXum did it is he used the textures only (i think) and then just used objects to make the level using those textures from it, hence its not an exact copy and doesnt infringe on valves maps, (not that they would care, it wouldnt be the first time) so anyway, wouldnt it be great to have a far more advanced editor for MTA (source SDK) ?

i think so :D

really wouldnt it be great if using the source SDK we could make levels for MTA that are "totally" custom, including textures and object collisions...i somehow doubt thats possible to import the Hammer editors files to MTA tho, and the way paroXum did it is he used the textures only (i think) and then just used objects to make the level using those textures from it, hence its not an exact copy and doesnt infringe on valves maps, (not that they would care, it wouldnt be the first time) so anyway, wouldnt it be great to have a far more advanced editor for MTA (source SDK) ?

i think so :D

You want them to release MTA:DM after 2 years? Then want that feature.

well it seems they can get the textures from source games (simple to do) however it doesn't appear they can actually take the level itself (they had to remake it) and i am just thinking out loud, not that we could accomplish that, no, but it would be nice wouldn't it :D

We're not talkin about texture, there's a language mismatch.

What has been imported and placed ingame are Renderware models files(dff), and those models files are using texture libraries (txds)...

To get valve models in SA it represent alot of work. Since there's not a .bsp to .dff converter, and sine the engine don't work the same way.

• 3 weeks later...