Direct 3d Instead of OpenGL?

Guest PsYcHoXbLaDeR

Its Direct3D for sure.

If you hexedit gta3.exe you will find strings like

Couldn't DirectDrawCreateEx

Direct3DCreate8.d3d8.dll

Couldn't LoadLibrary D3D8.DLL

You wont find this strings in an OpenGL application.

Now it should be clear it´s in Direct3D

• 1 month later...

OpenGL is dead? Nah, i don't think so. The OpenGL team is right now developing OpenGL 2.0 which Doom 3 will support.

And just like the Quake 3 engine, the doom 3 engine will probably be licensed to be used in alot of games, which means they will support OpenGL.

So, no, OpenGL is not dead, but the current version is starting to be outdated compared to Microsofts DirectX which has been updated more frequently to support the new features in modern graphics cards.

OpenGL will always beat D3D

1. Its supported on almost all operating systems... Try finding DirectX on linux..

2. You don't have to update your version of OpenGL to work with the newest games..

This is because you can use chipset dependant extensions (right from the GPU that do not require certain software to be installed

3. if done properly its faster... (see reason 2)

4. John Carmack likes opengl more than D3D.. (look at every engine since q2..) John carmack drives the gaming industry...

Open GL is NOT dead. I can assure you. I have a game that I cannot describe but is sooo new it isn't even out yet. :wink: It uses OpenGL. No it isn't a crap game. FRAPS works with all games. I used it on America's Army once and AA uses D3D. GTA:VC is a Direct 3D game, don't you remember it asking if you want to install it??