Custom Mods?

Azu

Man can you imagin server somwere with 5-6 mods for cars(5-6mb each)

6x6=36(im right?) So to start playing on this server you have to download 36mb.Maybe for or you this will not gona be a problem but what with 56k modem lovers?They will have to wait 2-3 hours to join someone server.But what with other server?WHat if some noob will replace all car's with custom new scins and other?Then im sure there will be topic like :"WTF NO 1 DON"T JONE MI SERVER !!!!!11111 one one one!1

6x6=36(im right?) So to start playing on this server you have to download 36mb.Maybe for or you this will not gona be a problem but what with 56k modem lovers?They will have to wait 2-3 hours to join someone server.But what with other server?WHat if some noob will replace all car's with custom new scins and other?Then im sure there will be topic like :"WTF NO 1 DON"T JONE MI SERVER !!!!!11111 one one one!1

Robix brings up a good point, anything you have to download is going to be hard on some players with a slow connection. I would know, I was on 56k for awhile, and it sucked! There is no such thing as 56k lovers, only 56k sufferers.

Robix brings up a good point, anything you have to download is going to be hard on some players with a slow connection. I would know, I was on 56k for awhile, and it sucked! There is no such thing as 56k lovers, only 56k sufferers.

So the solution is: throw away your 56k modem.

yes but lets say you have just 2 vehicle mods of 4 mb each, and 32 players, the amount of data you have to send is 2x4x32=256 MB, assuming all players have a good connection with the server, and the server is an actual server (not like me hosting it), i don't know how long that takes :P .

but if I host it myself...

my max. upload = about 128 kb/s

256mb*1024kb/mb=262144kb

262144kb/128kb/s=2048s= more then half an hour :| (so im NOT going to do that)

yes but lets say you have just 2 vehicle mods of 4 mb each, and 32 players, the amount of data you have to send is 2x4x32=256 MB, assuming all players have a good connection with the server, and the server is an actual server (not like me hosting it), i don't know how long that takes :P .

but if I host it myself...

my max. upload = about 128 kb/s

256mb*1024kb/mb=262144kb

262144kb/128kb/s=2048s= more then half an hour :| (so im NOT going to do that)

Dude, you wouldn't download 256mb.

Each player would download a 4mb file.

the server would send 256mb though and think about how many players join a day, SDK is right, files could be uploaded to a site like the map center.. unlike .maps, custom files can take up to several mb which means the servers would need a lot of space.. still we could download the files "unofficially" from other sites :P

What about hosting the models and stuff on another server, like on a website and let the hosting company worry about the bandwidth costs :twisted:

but either way users will have to download them to join the server, and that can take a long time for people. And anyways, I believe you cannot use custom models without having to restart SA, which would really suck when you want to switch servers.

the server would send 256mb though

that's what i meant, and sending that takes at least 34 minutes if i host a server at home (my upload is around 128kbyte/sec).

I'd just keep it to some texture replacements, as you could load these while playing already.

And anyways, I believe you cannot use custom models without having to restart SA, which would really suck when you want to switch servers.

it has been said that no game files will be changed, in other words mods will work somewhat like .maps, you place them in a folder and the client tells the game to load them..

@ iam2noob4u: yeah smaller files could be transfered 'on the fly', but many ppl will want to play mods like Liberty City, Myriad Islands or one of the many TCs.. sure they'd need to be tweaked a bit since you don't need mission scripting etc

isn't it too early to talk about these things though?