Custom skins for cars.

Lággy

I'm not sure how those textures are loaded, but it would probably be similar to modding the whole skin, which is not only possible to support, but pretty easy. We can do it without breaking GTA's EULA by telling the game to load MTA's files, instead of its own. That way you don't need to edit any official game file.

I think an idea like this could really set MTA apart. Imagine how it would effect role playing if gangs for example could make a custom skin for a car on their server. This is an idea that should be considered after death match is released. The only problem will be when you are playing in death match and your finely tuned car is stolen or destroyed :D .

could the game load new models that way?

I don't think loading custom models is going to cause any problems. What makes it complicated though is the file size of models (sometimes up to 1MB) and each client synchronizing in order to actually see the car mods (i.e. downloading from the server). Just imagine a freeroam map with over 100 custom car models each 400kb+ in size :lol: .

Maybe MTA can download all models and content from a different place? Like in CS you can specify some stuff in config, and clients try to download the maps from a site instead of the server. This way, people don't lag each time someone connects.

Suppose that you can load custom textures instead of stock ones, then supposedly you should be able to do the same with models. As long as you don't modify any files it doesn't violate EULA right?

What bothers me is if it will be possible to load individual resources for each map, for instance if you've made a race map and JUST HAVE TO have a certain car model for that race. But what if there are two maps that uses the same vehicle but different model? Let's say you load a mod that changes the Buffalo model, would it be possible distribute and load a model upon starting a map?

Fact of the matter is, since you can't change the handling of a vehicle, then what difference would it make if one player's Buffalo looks like a Shelby GT 500, and another player's looks like a Dodge Charger? If they handle the same then what is the problem?

So you could make players download these resources manually, or stream it to the client while playing the map. Either way, if the player does not have the required model then it would just load the default one.

I'm a bit confused right now, not sure if I'm making any sense. But any feedback on whatever you understand would be nice :)

Suppose that you can load custom textures instead of stock ones, then supposedly you should be able to do the same with models. As long as you don't modify any files it doesn't violate EULA right?

What bothers me is if it will be possible to load individual resources for each map, for instance if you've made a race map and JUST HAVE TO have a certain car model for that race. But what if there are two maps that uses the same vehicle but different model? Let's say you load a mod that changes the Buffalo model, would it be possible distribute and load a model upon starting a map?

Fact of the matter is, since you can't change the handling of a vehicle, then what difference would it make if one player's Buffalo looks like a Shelby GT 500, and another player's looks like a Dodge Charger? If they handle the same then what is the problem?

The idea behind a package is that you can modify every aspect of the game-mode (including vehicle handling). The server stores the hashes to ensure every client has the same files for a specific game-mode. In other words - nobody can fuck around with the handling or models when the server package doesn't allow this. I'm not sure what happens if you don't have the right package. But in theory this would mean that you can't play the game-mode (or at least you shouldn't be able to play it).

Maybe someone else has a different take on this. It's all pretty vague to me too. But this is how I see things.

O, one more thing about game-modes (or whatever they want to call them)... There will be base packages with fundamental functions and supporting resources (pretty much what you would use for programming). As a map builder/scripter you can use these libraries to extend your own game-modes. This means that in some cases you don't even have to download the entire package since you already going to have it on the client side.

Good info there Ace, really appreciate it!

I will attempt to clarify what my question was :)

OK that you can modify a lot of stuff, and put it in a package. The packages are loaded with a map since all the resources for that map are in the package.

Will it be possible to load a skin/car model without restarting the client?

Since you can only use one car model at any one time, would the client load the required car model when a new map starts, and then unload the car model when a new map starts?

As far as car mods for singleplayer go, don't you have to restart GTA:SA to change your car models?

My question is:

Would it be possible to load resources (like car models) on-the-fly, without restarting the client? I haven't seen any mod do this, so I don't know if it's possible.