Ability to modify car handling

Strepto

I know I'm out on thin ice on this one, but just hear me out.

Since I don't know how this suggestion would impact the ability to cheat and whatnot I want you to be kind in your responses to this :)

Like most of you I am looking forward to MTA:DM with great anticipation, and not unlike some of you I have a few game modes that I would like in the game, or be able to make with scripting or SDK.

This particular idea is a streetracing game mode/map.

Since there isn't any way to modify the performance of a car (other than using nitro) I feel that making a streetracing mod wouldn't be much different than just using the MTA:SA Race mod. So I thought, what if you could somehow modify the handling and speed of cars?

Let's say you start off with a small car like the Blista Compact or something, and as you upgrade it with better tires and bodykits etc. you also get better grip and performance. Although this might require you to edit files that cheaters edit in order to cheat, or files that are CRC checked.

So my question to you all, it be possible to change car handling on a client to client basis in order to make a streetracing game mode?

And how could it be exploited?

Thanks in advance, please don't bash me ;)

nice idea but i think u should post it to rockstar games, not here.

Why Ivan? Rockstar wouldn't care, last time i checked (i could be wrong) Rockstar never helped the MTA team with anything except with maybe a few words of encouragement, but nothing more.

nevermind Ivan's post there

I read about your idea Strepto, and I think if all the car's handling information was stored server side and automatically downloaded to user's clients, it would allow the server operator to set vehicle handling for all players simultaneously, and it would be harder to exploit.

The server could contain "sets" of handling information, so if a player buys "BodyKit1" it would download that handling file/handling information (for use on that server only) It may also download all this information before hand, when the player connects.

The only problem is that GTA:SA wouldn't use that information unless it was restarted. So players would have to restart GTA just to get the handling info to work. And then if players wanted to leave your server, and join the "modless" PartyServer, players would have to restart GTA again to allow the client to be verified while connecting to PartyServer.

Way back at its inception, BLUE was intended to allow things exactly like this, moddability that could be synchronised across clients via the server (ie sending the modified files, enforcing the presense of modified files, not allowing players without them to connect... etc)

I think the 'moddability' has taken a slightly different direction now, and is more in line with what Rockstar did with SA. You can modify the things that are provided for you by The MTA Team, via lua - car type, object creation, object positioning and movement, ped stats? and many more - but not wholly modified files - new car models, user-created 3d objects, - non-mta maps (such as gtalc and myriad islands) - custom weapons - handling configs.

Perhaps in the future such things will once more be considered and incorperated into the mod, but I think for now it will most likely not be possible.

(Although you may well be able to manipulate the handling in some ways via MTA/lua itself, it all depends how many 'toys' the team include for you all)

Thanks for the feedback!

As I read your post I had a thought, how do cheats work when they modify top speed etc.? I have tried a cheat on MTA once just to know what is possible and thus be able to recognize cheats better. I saw a feature that mimicked nitro at the push of a button, wether or not this can be manipulated with the client running or not I don't know.

I'm really not sure if you could use a similar method as cheats, so please enlighten me if you have any ideas ;)