Low FPS Lag

Guest Bogus

I'm very desperate for some help. I've been playing the game for awhile, but it's starting to finally get to me, this low FPS just isn't making the game fun anymore.

I've searched and searched, and tried everything to my knowledge to keep everything as low as setting as possible, and I still get low FPS. This person here has the same exact problem, I followed everything the people told her/him in this thread, and I STILL get it.

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=low+fps

My Specs, I know aren't good, but shouldn't I be able to play the game with at least 20 FPS? I get an avg. 10 - 15, and right when I'm in the middle of making that last second turn or move, I get a 1 - 2 sec drop in FPS to about 1 - 2 fps, making everyone fly by me.

Specs:

XP SP2

Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Celeron CPU 2.40 GHz

768 MB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 6200 PCI - Not overclocked

My Ping is usually 70-80 on the server.

I know my PC isn't the best Gaming PC, believe me, but it's all I got. I have everything set to absolutely the lowest settings I can get. My Vid Card is set to the best of my knowledge, GTA Resolution is on 800 x 600 x 16, lowest possible quality settings, Vid card is High Performance setting. AA and AO are OFF.

I can't download the very latest driver for my Geforce 6200, because the newest version with freeze up and crash (Almost everyone is having this problem) when trying to play videos. It plays GTA fine, but it still doesn't seem to give me better FPS.

Is there anything else I can possibly do? I know buying more RAM is never a bad thing, but would it actually help a WHOLE lot?

Please anything anyone might know I'd be appreciated to try, I'm up for anything.

My Specs, I know aren't good, but shouldn't I be able to play the game with at least 20 FPS? I get an avg. 10 - 15, and right when I'm in the middle of making that last second turn or move, I get a 1 - 2 sec drop in FPS to about 1 - 2 fps, making everyone fly by me.

When does this happen? Do you get 10-15 fps when there are a lots of other cars nearby, when there are 1 or 2, or when you're alone?

What is your performance like in single player?

Also, the best thing to buy would be a faster video card, your RAM should be enough.

When i'm alone, or maybe 2 or 3 cars, it's not so bad, it's almost like playing in Single, i'd get i'd say 18-20 FPS with 3 cars. But when theres about 5 or more, I stay at around 10-15.

Once I get going, and I started to hit the Back To The Future light, I get a 1 second pause, where my Fps is 1 or 2, then it jumps back to 10-15, but that 1 sec pause is huge.

For instance if someone was driving behind me, and I got that 1 sec pause (1 fps) when I regain normal fps, they would smash into the back of me, I sometimes even end up on their roof.

I know a new card would make a huge difference. I either have to buy the BFG 6200 PCI card, or buy another PC, because the BFG has 128 mb more ram, and can be overclocked, my 3d fuzion 6200 pci 128 mb can't be overclocked. Just the new pc option is out of the question right now :(.

I just can't believe GTA SA is doing this, with other games, the card works fine, I just don't get it. Single plays fine, just like how it should.

It could be some MTA bug if single player is fine. Did you try uninstalling MTA and GTA?

If you choose to buy a new card, DO NOT get another GeForce 6200, you won't notice any difference. 128MB of onboard RAM is perfectly fine for this game. I would suggest a 6600GT or something similar.

Thank you for your help, I doubt reinstalling will help me, I just recently reformatted just to see if the game plays with 20+ fps all the time, but it didn't help. I also figured 128 mb would be enough, especially set to the lowest possible settings. I won't be getting a new card for this computer. The next upgrade will be just a whole new system, but that's a long way off I know.

I'll just reinstall anyway, and if it doesn't help, I'll just keep the settings to as low as possible and play till I can't bare it anymore, because the game is really fun playing on the Cops & Robbers servers.

Thanks again.

I would Say it's the video card. Either ist not a great card or maybe its overheating or something, cause your other specs r fine.

I got myself a Radeon x1650 512mb agp card, a while back.

Man let me tell ya, I really didnt know what i was missing. This game is beautiful. And my frame rates? put it this way, i need to leave the frame limiter on or else the game runs a double speed.

So, try a video card, thats my bet.

Yeah Ryan, man I don't know what it could be. I bought this card specifically to play this game. Recently the fps started to go OK, I finally did hit the 24-25 range, but what I don't understand is, randomly I will get a jolt in fps, that will drop down to 1-5 fps, causing people to smash into the back of me if they are right behind me.

If I could figure out what causes this jolt, the game would be a lot better to play. I still get low fps sometimes, but ever since I shut down a lot of services and stuff, I get around 18-20 fps now.

I'm wondering if it's some kinda background program or something, that does a check, and is causing this jolt in fps. My Internet connection is very good with the server, constant 70-80 ping, but the only program I could think of was TrueVector, from ZoneAlaram. After messing with that, finally getting the service to shut down, I still get this jolt.

I really can't get a new card, because my bus is PCI, and the card I have is pretty good for PCI, there's only a few better, and buying them really isn't worth it, because it's time to just get a better system, with agp or express.

Thanks for every one's help though, it seems I may be getting somewhere, if anyone else knows anything feel free to post for my sake, and anyone else having this same problem.