Banning from MTA?

MadKilla

I am suggesting that YOU(developers) make some kind of VAC(Valve Anti Cheat) that bans any hackers from the whole MTA.That would be awesome;however,if they are banned, they can still play the servers that are not MTAAC protected. (Multi Theft Auto Anti Cheat).

It's a suggestion, and in my opinion a good one. I don't think the first anti-cheat in MTA: Race slowed them down too much, but I can't speak for them.

I think it would be quite easy for them to implement bans on a database. They already have a anti-cheat file & database, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal at all.

It's a suggestion, and in my opinion a good one. I don't think the first anti-cheat in MTA: Race slowed them down too much, but I can't speak for them.

afaik

the anticheat checked the handling file of player

made sure people get kicked after being DC

hasn't been updated in 3/4 years ...

so ..that are a few clues to why the race anti-cheat didn't slow ppl down

While a centralised banlist would be nice, I think it might be a lot of work for the devs. While I like the idea I propose another way of keeping cheaters out of your servers.

You create an unique ID for every computer, or just a unique ID every time you install mta. So if a cheater changes IP then you can still use the ID to identify the cheater and automatically ban again.

While I know this isn't the most waterproof way of doing this, perhaps there is some middleground between different methods of anticheat that won't take too much time to develop and still work quite well?

That would be too complicated. I think Madkilla is suggesting we all create accounts on the MTA website (one account per email address), and are not allowed to start up MTA without an account on mtasa.com.

This way, no synchronisation is required between servers and mtasa.com, apart from their input on who should be banned: which could be detected by the MTA .exe itself which contacts the site when a user is kicked.

Eventually, you have a simple system that keeps all but the very determined cheaters out.

'Determined' cheaters being those that can be bothered to create a new email address and user account: being a very small minority because of the lazy nature of cheaters.

Only problem is you might discourage new players, and players that don't understand english...

I wouldn't mind logging in before playing, but wouldn't we be sacrificing freedom for something like that?

Perhaps some dev or QA person could come with a suggestion?

Only problem is you might discourage new players, and players that don't understand english...

I wouldn't mind logging in before playing, but wouldn't we be sacrificing freedom for something like that?

Perhaps some dev or QA person could come with a suggestion?

We're not all english, some of us can speak several languages.

My point being, neither http://www.multitheftauto.com nor the client is multilingual...

Since the client and the site is english only, there might be some hickups for new players that don't understand english very well. If MTA would require a login in order to play, and a player doesn't understand what he/she needs to do to be able to play (which now is as simple as install and play) it might get discouraging.

However this could be alleviated if instructions etc. is translated.

I would be willing to do my part, but it would still require developer time.

I'm not saying anyone or any solution is wrong, I just want a little discussion before we decide what would be the best solution to the problem. And I do appreciate that you question my ideas ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I am suggesting that YOU(developers) make some kind of VAC(Valve Anti Cheat) that bans any hackers from the whole MTA.That would be awesome;however,if they are banned, they can still play the servers that are not MTAAC protected. (Multi Theft Auto Anti Cheat).

Yea, that's a good idea, some Global ban thingy, when you ban someone for hacking on one server, it bans ot from all server who have global ban enabled, but then again, people will prolly abuse it =/

We had this discussion on IRC if I'm right. Anyways, I've stressed before that this would be a bad idea. If an admin bans you on his server because he simply doesn't like you, then you'd be banned on all servers for a irrelevant reason. Now if you are talking about a auto-ban that is not controlled by admins (and cannot be controlled by admins, because it is automated) this would also be a bad idea seeing as the MTA team does not have the source code and other such resources to the GTA engine, and could cause accidental ban to innocent players. The best solution is good admins, and a watchful community that can accurately report cheaters to the server admins. Another good thing is MTA's built in Anti-Cheat that prevents you from joining server's games if you have a suspected environment for cheating. This could be seen in MTA 0.5. For example when you had a window open with a key word in the title bar that the Anti-Cheat saw as suspicious, it would alert you of Suspected Trainer Usage. This happened when players had their web browsers open to sites similar to "Tweak-Guides.com" (contains the word tweak).

Anyways, theres my huge rant have fun reading it. :D

The way I see it the problem lies not with players cheating, but their ability to get back into a server once they have been banned. Be it by changing their IP or other methods.

I am admin on a server where we have very active players who have the ability to report cheaters, so once a cheater is caught he/she usually doesn't come back. But there are a rare few who are very subtle in how they cheat, I have even seen a player tuning his cheats to give him a very small boost to his top speed, this enables him to take records that otherwise would be impossible.

Perhaps it will be possible to make a script that can monitor vehicle,speed and position, and based on these parameters evaluate if the player is cheating.

If it will be possible to somehow use scripts to identify cheaters in the future then it would be nice to know, so that we can put this topic to rest.

What about this idea:

To prevent speed hacks, the servers anti cheat definition will contain the top speed for each vehicle, and if someone manages to surpass the vehicles top speed, they will be reported to admins to get a check up. Going downhill, using turbo, and falling allow the vehicles to achieve high moving speed than what the cars engine can do normally, and in a map where everyone goes downhill with turbo, the admin will be flooded with warnings about possible cheating. This is where it gets tricky. Any suggestions?

What about this idea:

To prevent speed hacks, the servers anti cheat definition will contain the top speed for each vehicle, and if someone manages to surpass the vehicles top speed, they will be reported to admins to get a check up. Going downhill, using turbo, and falling allow the vehicles to achieve high moving speed than what the cars engine can do normally, and in a map where everyone goes downhill with turbo, the admin will be flooded with warnings about possible cheating. This is where it gets tricky. Any suggestions?

Bad idea, too many little things which cheaters could use as a excuse which isn't good. Also, packet loss could result as in a "teleport" or "speed warp" and would be reported. I think the best way to have banning from MTA is to have anti-cheating communitys (as lil today said) which would report names, ids or clans to admins.

I think connectiong to the MTA website is a bad idea. To much risk for abuse. I like the idea of each MTA install having its own little code, randomly generated on install. Then if someone gets banned from the server, it bans IP and also there MTA code. This would ban them from the server, unless they reinstall MTA, which is more annoying for them then to an admin just typing /rcon ban.

a little off topic post:

Playing race mod, I realised that, if u hava a cheater on server with name 'Player', u can:

1. ban him and ban every1 with such name and not every1 is cheater

2. freeze, mute him until he/she gives up and leaves the server.

so, my suggestion is to delete 'Player' from settings panel, leave it blank and dont allow any1 to join a server without some name. also there is a problem when cheater joins with such nick - ``````. its imposible to ban him,because when u press `, u open/close console, only remote admins can ban em

i would agree that mac address banning would work a lot better for that single pc, but i still say that it should be per server rather than a global ban and admins could set up a global ban system between other admins that they trust